Skip navigation
ialreadyhaveascreenname
Currently Being Moderated

Blu-Ray slide show transition pauses?

Sep 16, 2013 5:32 AM

Tags: #pause #blu-ray #pause_slide #pause_playback

I use encore's slide show feature to create slide shows all the time, and they consistantly turn out great on DVD.  But recently I had a client request a slide show on blu-ray.  Thinking that there should be no discernable difference in the processes or difficulty, I agreed.  But I ran into a problem.

I placed 50 medium resolution (virtical resolution of 1500 pix on all) pictures into the slide show time line, and sync'd them up with the audio (standard mp3, duration 4 mins XX sec).  I clicked "cross fade" as the standard transition.  Random pan and zoom was also selected.  I rendered the transitions, then I burned the disc.  There is other stuff on the disc.  All items on the disc play just fine EXCEPT for this slide show.

Here's the weird Part, when I play the slide show on my test blu-ray player, each slide will pause for 1 second, but the music will continue to play.  When the song is over, there are still 50 seconds of pictures that continue to play until they are over, then the disc will direct to the main menu.

I am using Production Package CS5.  Windows 7 X64 pro.  8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM.  Dual 10K HDD's raid1.  Sony optiarc Blu-Ray burner with latest firmware.  Also updated firmware on blu-ray player for my testing.  discs are JVC  (taiyo yuden) blu-ray discs part # j-bdr-25ws-25sb6l. BD-R LTH 6X watershield discs.

I know LTH could possibly have compatibility problems, but once all firmware and software was updated on my end, everything seemed to go fine.  That is until slide show playback.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to ialreadyhaveascreenname

I would try a very small slideshow only project - e.g. 1 menu, 5 slides. It would help if you have a very small project to test.

I would also build to an image or folder and test with Total Media Theater 5 (just testing 6). Many software players do not emulate slideshows and have problems even when a burned disk does not. If you don't have TMT and create the little project and it shows the problem, you can send to me for test.

The most likely problem is image size or junk in the mp3.

If you get the problem with the small project, replace the images with ones scaled to the exact project size, to confirm that fixes the problem. If it does, it gives you some info.

Convert the mp3 to wav. Try that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to ialreadyhaveascreenname

Good idea to try another player.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to ialreadyhaveascreenname

Do a search, and you'll see lots of issues with Encore Bluray slideshows. I do not know what the formula may be for success. I do not use them.

Yes, a plain slideshow has one mts per slide. A slideshow with transition but no zoom/pan has one per slide and one per transition. A slideshow with transition and zoom/pan has one per slide with the full duration per mts.

A variety of quality issues have been reported, but I don't recall the color flashes issue. I get what looks very similar to me.

I recommend doing the slideshow in Premiere, and just having no control for the user. One person reported making a chapter point for each slide, and that allowed some advance.

You can get a clean slide using no transitions and no pan/zoom; H264 for project settings (used for slideshows) is the recommendation when Mpeg results in poor slideshow quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to ialreadyhaveascreenname

If you can build a slide show in premiere, is it comparibley easy? or do you have to painstakingly animate every single transition and animation?

No and yes. (Not "easy" as you are defining it here; and yes, must animate it all. You can use presets, etc, and you can apply to multiples, but not random, varying, etc.)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 10:02 AM   in reply to ialreadyhaveascreenname

I had a momentary lapse; I don't know what I mean either!

Glad you found a way!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points