Skip navigation
AndRobots
Currently Being Moderated

Why does the library "Export SWF..." function freeze Flash sometimes?

Sep 16, 2013 2:03 PM

Tags: #library #export_swf

Often times when right-clicking on a Movie Clip in the library and choosing "Export SWF..." Flash will either take a long time to complete the function or become completely unresponsive. I can usually get it to eventually work reliably by opening Flash again and repeating the action. It will eventually become less slow at doing this, which is the bizarre thing about it. It seems to go back to completely crashing the software after a machine restart.

My info:

Flash Pro CC 13.0.1.808

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

Processor  2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Graphics  ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to AndRobots

It probably only gets faster later because it has publish cache and the compiler is already in cached memory after you've run it the first time. For the same reason the second time you launch Flash after a crash it loads much faster as well (cached in RAM).

Can't say why you're getting the crashing in general but have you tested just publishing the whole FLA as a SWF to see if you get consistent crashes as well? It seems something isn't happy the first time you invoke the compiler.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to AndRobots

That probably was your issue. Everything in memory is being filtered and quite a bit goes through while you compile.

The speed up on subsequent exports is most likely due to what I already mentioned, RAM cache and publish cache. That's the reason there's a function to delete the ASO cache. If you want to determine if that's the reason it's exporting much faster a second time, delete the cache and export again, see if it takes a long time. The function is in the menu Control -> Clear Publish Cache.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points