Skip navigation
Beau2013
Currently Being Moderated

What to do with MP4 Source Files

Sep 16, 2013 5:26 PM

I usually edit avi files, but a friend has asked me to edit a batch of mp4 files that were taken on a little Samsung camcorder. I'm not sure what presets I should use, but nothing seems to look good when I experiment. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2013 6:00 PM   in reply to Beau2013

Beau2013

Lots of information needed to address the question properly.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What are the properties of these .mp4 files...video and audio compressions, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, pixel aspect ratio? What is the model Samsung that these .mp4 files are coming from?

What type of edits of the video are being requested and what is the intended export of these edited files from the Timeline?

Suggestions will follow according to the details that you provide.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to Beau2013

Beau2013

That was one hard camera to find specs for.

I found the User Manual for it. Apparently you have either 720 x 480 4:3 or 16:9 at 29.97 interlaced frames per second (described as 60i). Do you know if 4:3 or 16:9?

You can check to find out by getting a properties readout from MediaInfo, looking specifically for display aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9. Also, you appear to have "interlaced video", so we want to know if the Field Order is Upper or Lower Field First. The Media Info readout will also tell us that.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Overview...open Premiere Elements 11 Windows, go directly to File Menu/New/Project. In the new project dialog, set for NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen depending on what your video properties are. Before you exit the new project dialog, be sure to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings on this Project". Then, when you are back in the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to bring your video into Project Assets. From Project Assets, drag you video to the Timeline.

If there is an orange line over (I am not referring to an orange line through your video), then press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard to get the best possible preview of the playback of your video in the Edit Mode monitor.

How are you going to export your Timeline.

Please view the above. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to Beau2013

Beau2013

Your news was excellent.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have further questions on any of your Premiere Elements workflows.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to Beau2013

>camera movement causes blurring

I think that is because your MP4 source is compressed, and then you compress again to create MPG/VOB on a DVD

Squeeze a loaf of bread, and then squeeze the resulting lump again... result doesn't look much like a loaf of bread

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to Beau2013

Beau2013

What did you burn to DVD-VIDEO Standard on a DVD disc....

a. the SD mp4 file that you exported from Premiere Elements Timeline using as source media the original SD .mp4 file

or

b. the original SD mp4?

In other words, did you use the same project with your original SD .mp4 file,

first export the source to the SD .mp4 file saved to the computer hard drive

and then

came back to the same project and burned that same Timeline, this time, to DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc?

At this point, the answers to all the questions that I asked back in post 1 would be helpful, especially if you started with interlaced video and the Field Order was Upper Field First instead of Lower Field First. If there is any chance of getting a MediaInfo properties readout for your source .mp4, that would be very helpful.

For interlaced video, we might call Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance or Always Deinterlace into action.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to Beau2013

Beau2013

The following may sound "a bit" different but let us see what happens...

Start a new project in Premiere Elements 11.

Set the project preset manually by going to File Menu/New/Project and selecting as the project preset

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

Make sure that before you exit the new project dialog that you place a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this Project".

When you get back to the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace, import your original .mp4 video into the project with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/ to get the file into Project Assets. From Project Assets, drag the file to the Timeline.

For the first export from this Timeline,

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

and burn to: disc

Preset = NTSC _Dolby DVD.

Does that look any better?

I would stay with the AVCHD.mp4 export for saving a file to the computer hard drive. But, if you want to experiment with a MPEG2 export, then check out

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

Presets = HDTV 1080p29.97 High Quality

and then the Advanced Button/Video Tab set accordingly

Settings.JPG

We will be watching for your results to determine what factors in or out of the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to Beau2013

Beau2013

I am applauding your success from here. Congratulations.

Often one cannot go by the book, but rather needs to go by the details of the specific situation in order to customize the reply to the specific situation.

So, I thank you for the all the helpful details that helped me help you.

Continued success and regards to your friend who helped generate some interesting troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points