FrameMaker update book icon not updating and custom formatting help

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am fairly new to FrameMaker, and I am currently experiencing two issues:

First Issue

I am currently trying to create a book that currently has three chapters. I am trying to break it out into the following format:

1. Main TOC - includes all the headers and related pages for the entire book
  2. Mini TOC - includes a mini TOC that highlights all the headers and pages associated with Chapter Source File A
  3. Chapter Source File A - includes all related content to Chapter Source File A
  4. Mini TOC - includes a mini TOC that highlights all the headers and pages associated with Chapter Source File B
  5. Chapter Source File B - includes all related content to Chapter Source File B
  6. Mini TOC - includes a mini TOC that highlights all the headers and pages associated with Chapter Source File C
  7. Chapter Source File C - includes all related content to Chapter Source File C

Whenever I click the Update Book icon, however, it does not update the headers and page numbers. They still remain the same way when I first generated them. This occurs for both the main TOC and mini TOC.

Second Issue

In addition to the format structure I designed for my book, I also wanted to create a custom format look that remains constant whenever I update my TOC. I have tried testing this, but I noticed every time I generate a new TOC it is always in the unformatted FrameMaker style which you have reformat each time.

Is there a way to create a custom format look that can retain the design and simply update the TOC headers and page numbers each time it needs to be updated?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First I'd highly recommend getting Matt Sullivan's Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FM11 book - it's a pretty complete reference one to have on FM.

Second, it sounds like you may not have your ToC reference pages set up correctly - if nothing changes when you've added content that should have created more ToC headings and shift pages around, then something is amiss. Your formatting problem is solved by doing a bit of a dodge - you create a ToC and generate it, then replace it with your formatted .fm doc keeping the exact name as the generated doc; then update again. Now the content is formatted the way you want and keeps being updated each time you update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines