Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

seems like v5.2 final is released

Sep 17, 2013 9:11 AM

lets have a look how many bugs are fixed and how many are still there.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to hamada2003

As of this moment, my LR does not show any updates available.

I assume 5.2 will be available as an update through 5.

Anyone know for sure?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to hamada2003

If you go to the Lightroom download site, where you can download previous versions, 5.2 is there and downloadable.  I have downloaded it but haven't installed it yet.  My installation of 5.2 RC says there are no updates available.  So it looks to me like Adobe is still trying to get all their ducks lined up before they make the announcement.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to JimHess

I'm actually downloading the release now.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

I have installed it.  I have only done a little experimenting with it so far.  Looks good to me, but I had no complaints with the RC.  I don't recall being asked to select my region when first opening in the past.  No big deal.  Just an extra step I wasn't expecting.  So far, looks the same, works the same.  Haven't really looked at the new features yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to JimHess

Selecting your region is required to comply with new licensing conditions by Google. As a result, some regions will not have full support in Map module.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to Ian Lyons

Is there a log anywhere of what the update includes/changes?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to Dragoro21

Dragoro21 wrote:

Is there a log anywhere of what the update includes/changes?

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to Dragoro21

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 4:18 PM   in reply to hamada2003

hamada2003 wrote:

lets have a look how many bugs are fixed and how many are still there.

Don't expect too much (most bugs are still sittin' right where they were...) - at least they got some of the most critical ones though, which is good - but I still don't understand why they don't fix more of the ones that wouldn't take long.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Is it possible that users report issues that they consider are bugs, because they expect it should function differently, while Adobe see the program functioning as designed.

Maybe some of the things that are considered as "bugs" by users are feature changes they expect. (e.g "thats not how it works in Photoshop issues")

A list of oustanding/acknowledged bugs from Adobe might be of some help. There as lots of posts "I have reported this since LR "beta" or LR 1,2,3,"

I am pretty sure there are lots of things that users are waiting to get corrected and Adobe do not even have logged for attention much less correction.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to hamada2003

Why is that Lr 5.2 is NOT in Creative Cloud download? What is going on? Will they update it there? Should I download the manual way on my own? Or should I wait and sit tight for next few days?

Please advise.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to CaramelMacchiato

I have Lr via CC and downloaded/installed the reglar version ("manual way") - no problem so far..

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to CaramelMacchiato

If you aren't getting it in CC download, quite CC and restart, then check Apps.  It should show up as an update.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 2:40 AM   in reply to Michael D Sullivan

Well, I just uninstalled my regular copy of LR 5.2RC and installed the CC copy that has appeared today in my CC list of Apps I can install. My subscription to just Photoshop CC has already been automatically amended by Adobe to the new lower rate. So I'm a happy bunny!

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 4:08 AM   in reply to bob frost

Just an official statement for LR 5.2 RC users.

The RC downloaded from labs.adobe.com would not show the update as available.

All the users are adviced to launch either LR 5 and try to do the update or follow the link below for more details on the same.

Mandhir

Message was edited by: Mandhir Bhatia

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to hamada2003

It would help if it worked! I've gone from having problems importing using LR5 to not being able to import at all using 5.2, which makes the program totally useless. Not only that, but I can't close the program down once it crashes and have to completely re-start my pc.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to JuleandJez

Has to be a problem with your machine - it works brilliantly here...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Well it's an HP with an Intel i7 chip, running Windows 7 64 bit version. Lots of memory available. And v5 worked ok. So I can't see why it would be my laptop.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to Mandhir Bhatia

Mandhir Bhatia wrote:

Just an official statement for LR 5.2 RC users.

The RC downloaded from labs.adobe.com would not show the update as available.

All the users are adviced to launch either LR 5 and try to do the update or follow the link below for more details on the same.

Mandhir

Message was edited by: Mandhir Bhatia

It did for me. I was running 5.2RC, and when I launched it yesterday, it automatically prompted me to update, just as it has done previoulsy when I've not been running a release candidate version.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to Mollysnoot

I downloaded and installed LR5.2 Final on my Windows 7 system and was surprised to see that my LR4.4.1 previews were "moved" from the LR4 catalog folder to the new LR5 catalog folder. NO PREVIEWS LEFT FOR LR4! I had to manually copy 40 GB of previews back into my LR4 catalog folder. All previous LR5 installations were removed prior to the LR5 Final install.

I always keep my older LR version installed for a few months. If there is some major issue I can at least recover and work on the images with LR4 edits in the LR4 catalog. Why was I not offered an option to COPY instead of MOVE the LR4 previews?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to trshaner

This has happened with previous upgrades, when you use the option to upgrade a copy of your LR 4 catalog to a LR 5 catalog it also "absconds" with the previews.

If you need to use your LR 4 version with the LR 4 catalog it will rebuild previews.

I guess as a work around you could have copied the LR 4 previews to a safe location before doing the upgrade.

From the upgrade read me file.

""o NOTE: The upgrade process will modify the image preview information of an upgraded catalog.(This information is stored in the .lrdata file that is located adjacent to a catalog file in the file system) Returning to a previous version of Lightroom will require that the previews be re-rendered. This can be a lengthy process for those with hundreds of thousands of images.""

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

It doesn't appear that the LR5 Final install changed the  .lrprev files. It just "moved" them and created a new Lightroom 5 Catalog.lrcat file. When I copied the preview files back to the LR4 catalog folder LR4.4.1 works as expected with speedy image render in the Library.

This didn't happening when I upgraded from LR3 to LR4, but I can't actually remember HOW I did it more than a year ago. It's just 20 minutes of disk copy time so not a big deal, but I don't like surprises. That's one of the reasons I haven't used LR5 for production work and won't until I test LR5 Final a bit more. Having worked 45-years in computer system engineering I tend to err on the side of caution and it has served me well.

So far I haven't run across any issues with LR5.2 Final and the new features are well worth the upgrade cost.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to JuleandJez

"Problem with your machine" means

* It's a system-dependent problem (as opposed to a problem which occurs on all machines).

"Problem with your machine" does not necessarily mean

* Problem with OS/core-hardware compatibility...

As you may know, it only takes 1 bit "out of place" to have a computer problem, and you've got a system with billions of bits running software with thousands of bugs (and there's is no guarantee your hardware has been 100% glitch-free from birth 'til now).

So, if something that used to work doesn't anymore, or if something that should work isn't, whether it ever did or not, it's usually because a tiny bug took a tiny bite somewhere...(and of course operator error can factor in..., and power failures / surges, and.........).

Re-installing software and/or re-doing data files are typical remedies for such problems, but knowing which/what to do can indeed be a "Sherlock Holmesean" effort.

That said, if you haven't tried re-installing the app, rebooting machine, and/or running it on a stripped system, with fresh data..., that seems like a good first/next step.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to trshaner

Dang it, I spoke too soon! It looks like there's an issue with the Spot Removal clone tool in LR5.2 Final. Spot removal clone/heal circles applied in LR4 appear appear to lose "feathering" in LR5.2 Final. Look at the bottom-center area of the picture below.

I'll await for some responses here before posting this in a bug report. Is anyone else seeing this?

(click on image to see full-size)

IMG_3766 Compare.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to trshaner

Just found this post in the Feature Request forum claining the bug is in LR5.2 RC and is fixed in LR5.2 Final:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr5_2_rc_spot_re moval_feather_bug

Apparently it is NOT fixed in LR5.2 Final for all cases of the Spot Removal clone tool usage! I have found some image files edited in LR4 with the clone Spot Tool that were fin,e and others that have lost feathering. I'm not sure yet what the difference is yet.

....and another post:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr_5_2_is_not_re ndering_correctly_photos_with_spot_removal_applied_in_lr4

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to trshaner

BUMP......

So nobody else on this thread sees "lost feathering" in Spot Removal tool clone/heal spots in LR4 processed images inside LR5.2 Final?

I just checked a number of images and found EVERY IMAGE with a Spot Removal clone or heal spot has 'Feathering' set to '0' in LR5.2 Final catalog converted from LR4.4.1.

This is a show-stopper for me–I'm going back to using LR4.4.1 until this is fixed!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 8:55 PM   in reply to trshaner

I now see a default value of 90 for feathering adjustments on spots that existed before LR 5.2.  In addition to your photo examples, A screen shot of the spot removal tool settings on both images would be useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to Cletus

Cletus, I just responded to your post in the Photoshop Lightroom forum:

So to be clear, all images that you edited in LR4 or earlier versions with the Spot Removal clone/heal tool now show in LR5.2 Final with Feathering set to 90?#

I'm not talking about the the images you may have edited in LR5 or LR5.2 RC, just those edited in earlier versions (LR4, LR3, LR2, LR1 versions). On my Windows 7 system ALL of these prior version edited images with Spot Removal are set to zero '0' inside LR5.2 Final. I have never used LR5 or LR5,2 RC, because of all the issues. LR5.2 Final is the ONLY version of LR5 I've used.

You are on a Mac OS X system and I'm running on a Windows 7 64 bit system, so it is possible that only the Windows version is affected. ALL of my images edited in LR4 and earlier have the Spot Removal Feathering set to ZERO, NADA, NOTHING, '0.' Here's the screenshot you requested of the image open in LR4.4.1 and in LR5.2 FINAL:

(Click on image to see full-size.)

LR4+5 Screenshot with Spot Removal Settings.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to trshaner

I remember Eric Chan commenting on this back when LR 5 first came out.

I think what you’re seeing, at least with CLONE spots is how it is designed to work and why it is different in LR 5+ is due to the addition of click-drag functionality. 

Cloning is (now) a hard-edge operation so you can remove wires right up to the edge of object, perhaps a house or a tree, without the adjoining object bleeding in like it would if there was any edge-blending; whereas the HEAL function does bleed areas of the image just outside of the spot into the spot to hide the edge.  I almost always use Heal to hide defects and Clone when I am doing wire removal up against a hard edge.

There is no PV2013 that could have distinguished between old non-drag spotting and new non-drag spotting, so the old spotting just picked up the new way of doing things.  It could be argued that was the wrong approach because older clone spots change, as your side-by-sides demonstrate, but it does seem to be how things are working and not based on a bug, but a less-than-perfect design decision. 

Perhaps a checkbox that allowed switching between blended vs hard edges would have accommodated both the old and new methods, but that may have been deemed too complicated of a UI design or perhaps the edge-blending done with single-spots before LR5 is incompatible or very slow when applied to drag-spots so it was removed when dragging was added.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Thanks ssprengel for a good explanation of issue!

I've always chosen 'Clone' or 'Heal' mode based on the blending appearance and I'd say it's probably about 50/50 with my images. For the above posted image I need LR5 Feathering of 100 to achieve the appearance in LR4, and if I change it to Heal mode its looks really bad. I'll have to look at some more images with Spot Removal to determine what needs to be done. It's too bad Adobe didn't provide some guidance and options for applying Feathering during the LR5 catalog conversion.

Rodrigo Tozzi posted some SQLite code for finding images in the catalog that have Spot Removal applied. I really don't have the experience or time to use try tit out.

Does anyone know if there is a plugin available that can filter images with 'Spot Removal' applied in the LR5 catalog?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to trshaner

trshaner wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a plugin available that can filter images with 'Spot Removal' applied in the LR5 catalog?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Thanks Rob. I tried DevMeta, but the LR progress bar stuck on first image file when trying to update with all 20,000+ images selected. It seemed OK with ~500 images selected (~1.0 sec. per image), but at that rate it would take 5.5. hours. Is there any way it can be speeded up for this purpose?

I  downloaded and installed AnyFilter plugin and it filtered on 'Spot Removal' with 20,000+ images selected in less than 5 minutes (~4,000 images per minute)!

The good news is that I only found 179 images with Spot Removal applied. Yea! I guess I was using PS's tools for this purpose more than I thought.The bad news is that I need to "manually" adjust the Feather setting on images, which in some cases have multiple clone spots. tI's probably not a bad exercise in using the Spot Removal tool in LR5 with the new Feathering control, and maybe now I'll need PS less for this purpose.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 9:21 PM   in reply to trshaner

trshaner wrote:

the LR progress bar stuck

I can't reproduce problem, and this is the first report of it. But, please contact me privately for plugin support.

Obviously one work-around is to divide and conquor... (Collection Agent has feature "Divide to Conquor" for times when whole-catalog or large-batch operations are problematic).

~R.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob, I just sent you a PM.

FYI–Adobe employee Benjamin Warde has commented at the Photoshop Lightroom forum that the Spot Removal Feathering issue is a "bug:"

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr_5_2_is_not_re ndering_correctly_photos_with_spot_removal_applied_in_lr4?utm_content= reply_link&utm_medium=email&utm_source=reply_notification#reply_129650 18

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to trshaner

Good.  It seemed to be operating non-optimally.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to trshaner

I see the lost feathering with spot tool. Feathering is not "right" with the release version with new edits.

iMac, 10.8.5

vince

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers