Skip navigation
ea2th
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CC optimizing for iphone 5: How to remove black bars

Sep 17, 2013 12:54 PM

Tags: #launch #black #flash #iphone #ios #screen #4 #load #5 #splash #cc #bars #optimized #iphone5 #flash_cc

iOS test app i created in Flash CC is installed and functioning fine on my iPhone 5.

However, the app is optimized for the 640x960 screen and not the 640x1136 iPhone 5 sceen.

I'm only testing on the device, not uploading to the app store.

Can someone please point me in the direction of the correct code to optimze for iPhone 5 for device testing only?

THX!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 4:24 PM   in reply to ea2th

This is really a loaded question. There's no simple answer and multiple strategies.

One strategy is the bleeding edge method. In that, you set the stage to scale NO_BORDER and exceed the stage in all directions with your artwork. That way it scales in aspect ratio to the device size but the images that bleed outside the edges of the stage will fill the black bar area. You then focus all your controls towards a designated 'safe area' for the device and assume the extra space may or may not be seen.

The harder but better method is NO_SCALE where you program like an Android device. You program your app so it detects the devices resolution and position all elements based on the available area. That means everything is constantly calculated based on available space, so it's a ton of extra coding, but it puts you in a very good port position for Android.

Bottom line, there is no magic bullet or Staples "Easy Button" to make your app work perfectly on all the (now) fragmented resolutions of iPhones/iPads.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2013 5:21 AM   in reply to ea2th

The splash screen? I thought you were referring to a strategy to resize an entire finished app to adapt to the new resolution.

Glad you got what you needed, good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points