Skip navigation
MikeBoom
Currently Being Moderated

Dragging clips to bins is very slow in Premiere CS6

Sep 17, 2013 1:15 PM

I just upgraded to Premiere CS6 from CS 5.5 (no thank you, CC) and have problems with very slow speed when dragging clips from one bin to another in the Project panel. Here are the specifics:

I have about 1500 clips in a bin that I'm sorting through in the Project panel, putting clips into other bins as I classify them. If I have the 1500 clips sorted by the Name field, there's no delay as I move a clip or clips from the big bin to one of the smaller bins. If, however, I sort the 1500 clips by Media File Path in the Project panel (which puts the clips in chronological order because the file names reflect date and time), then doing the same work results in an 8-second delay every time I try to move a clip between bins.

I get the 8-second delay each and every time I drag a clip between bins. It occurs whether I select a single clip to drag or drag multiple clips. As soon as I sort in the panel by Name field instead of the Media File Path field, dragging has no delay.

I have no such trouble with delays in CS5.5, so I'm at a loss. I need to have the bin sorted by Media File Path, because I need them in chronological order as I evaluate them. But an 8-second delay each time I move a clip bogs me down so much it's impractical to get any sorting done.

I suspect this is a bug. I've upgraded to CS6.05, but that didn't fix it. Does anyone have a workaround?

Thanks,

Mike Boom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to MikeBoom

Maybe try changing the sort after the clips are selected, so they move quicker, then go back to the Path sorting to select the next batch of clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to MikeBoom

I do know there are some sorting issues with Premiere Pro CC.  This may be another symptom.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 10:19 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I imagine that if you take one out of chronological order, it has to recalculate to make sure they are still sorted correctly. But insteadl of just worrying about the ones just before and after the newly missing clip, it recalculates every clip's date/time.

Maybe putting the 1500 clips into 15 different bins, temporarily, would solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points