Skip navigation
SREDNAS9595
Currently Being Moderated

Keeping orginal creation date after editing a photo

Sep 17, 2013 4:54 PM

Tags: #photoshop

In Photoshop, Does anyone know how do I keep the shot/creation date after editing/adjusting a photograph in order to keep hundreds of images in a chronological order? I am combining files with a second shooter on an event an the timeline is essential.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to SREDNAS9595

The creation data isn't modified, only the last modified/written date changes in the metadata.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to SREDNAS9595

Of course if you »Save As« you are creating a new file with a new creation date.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Sep 18, 2013 1:29 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Christoph, I responded to a similar thread a few hours ago, and because I was not absolutely sure, I tried pretty hard to break the EXIF chain using 'Save as' using psd, gif, etc. and all sorts of edits.  Nothing I did broke the chain, and the 'Date time original' tag remained unchanged.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 1:36 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Good news for the OP then.

But is that a date the OS can utilize? (Not that I’m certain where the OP needs to keep their files in a specific order.)

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Sep 18, 2013 1:57 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Hmmm you might have a point.  I can see that tag in Bridge, but in Windows 7 Explore, that tag is not turned on by default.  Right clicking a column heading gives you the option of turning on any of about 50 column headings.  When I turned on the 'Date taken' column earlier the EXIF was there and correct.  Looking at some of my edits just now, the Date created tags are OK, but the date taken tags are not showing for the psd and save as files.  The date created tags for the RAW files show the time they card was uploaded to the computer.

It's not a big deal though.  As the questions are being asked in the Photoshop forum, all anyone has to do is sort them in Bridge (which does retain the Date Taken tag), and Batch rename with a number prefix. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points