Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

So what authoring tool has Adobe gone to with CC?

Sep 17, 2013 4:16 PM

So, maybe I just missed it, but since Adobe says CS6 Encore is the last version, what tool are they now saying to use with CC for Authoring

DVD's and BR's?  Even though I never burn physical media, I make all my home videos into DVD or BR format in order to have the Menu's.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 4:32 PM   in reply to h2ofun

Their answer is a simple "Encore" till DVD and BD are no more:

See this link, which includes how to install Encore CS6, how to get the library, and a tutorial on workflow with Premiere CC.

http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encore-cs6-installed-cc.html

Also, see the Encore CC/CS6 FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/faq.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to h2ofun

I have speculated in various threads:

I think Adobe needed a rationale to present publically, and that was theirs. There is clearly a very significant number of users that are a) event videographers/editors who must deliver DVD/bluray to clients and b) hobbyists who want the disk format for themselves and to share. My favorite guesses are a) that Rovio's takeover of Sonic/Roxio voluntarily or involuntarily squeezed Adobe financially or b) they don't want to invest the dollars in other aspects of fixing/upgrading Encore.

The Flash to Web options from Encore, and your own illustration, are two very good reasons for keeping and developing Encore in the Adobe suites of applications. But, as I say, I think there are other reasons that may have driven them to this decision. In the meantime, Encore CS6 is it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Pretty much ditto what you said for the small producer... physical delivery, not streaming... there are a LOT more people with a DVD player than with high speed Internet to be able to stream someone's wedding video

The big movie studios are not (unless I've missed something) going from a theater DIRECT to a streaming video service... their next step is to sell a DVD or BluRay of a movie... THEN, they license the movie to Netflix or Amazon for streaming video

I doubt we will ever know Adobe's real reason's for dropping Encore

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T Smith wrote:

Pretty much ditto what you said for the small producer... physical delivery, not streaming... there are a LOT more people with a DVD player than with high speed Internet to be able to stream someone's wedding video

The big movie studios are not (unless I've missed something) going from a theater DIRECT to a streaming video service... their next step is to sell a DVD or BluRay of a movie... THEN, they license the movie to Netflix or Amazon for streaming video

I doubt we will ever know Adobe's real reason's for dropping Encore

I think the reason Encore is dropped is quite simple.

When Rovi bought out Sonic (who were the owners of the Authorcore, as well as Scenarist etc when they bought out Daikin (who originally made Scenarist) we all got more than a little worried because Rovi's core business is the streaming on demand / pat per view model, not physical discs. Sure enough, the announcement came last year (about 12 months ago now) that Scenarist SD/BD & CineVision (all versions) were being discontinued from December 31, 2012 and that support would also stop from December 31, 2013.

So there is no Sonic left for Adobe to license the authorcore from - all development is gone, all support is going & it is no longer possible to buy new tools. Rovi bought them with the sole intention of closing them down.

The whole "DVD is dead" argument is pure BS - streaming on demand will never replace replicated content and anyone who thinks it will is deluded. It will end up - sure as eggs are eggs - with all content being either riddled with advertising or on pay per view. From their perspective, why sell someone a disc for £10 when they can charge you £3.50 every time you watch it? Another reason streaming is doomed is literally because even in the UK 30% of the population has no internet access either by choice ior circumstance, and a good 50% of those who do have it are running download capped services which are fine if all you do is ponce around on twatter & facespace, but no use to anyone else. EVen in West London my exchange has no fibre and at weekends & evenings my connection drops to a crawl - last night it took 4 HOURS to download 1 film from Sky On Demand. four hours. Seriously. The excchanges think anyone downloading large media files on a regular basis must be doing it illegally and we get throttled back by BT - we have proved it beyond any doubt in conjunction with our ISP who are appalled. And our connection is supposed to be completely unrestricted (not BT although they own the infrastructure).

AFAIK there are very, very few alternatives now. As I understand it, you have the following on PC:

1 - Media Chance Labs "DVD Lab Pro 2". Discontinued, but still sold & supported. Very powerful application but also very buggy (but usually there are workarounds)

2 - Sony's DVD Architect. Still developed, and supposedly okay. I have it, but have never used it (it came along with Vegas Pro which in turn is nowhere near as good as Premiere Pro is)

Er, that's it. You have things like MuxMan, which is extremely limited and also very, very buggy. On a Mac, you have Apple's appalling DVDSP (it used toi be Spruce Maestro until Apple swallowed them up & ruined what was a great application) and not a lot more. iMovie? hopelessly inadequate (like the new iBin it runs on)

I think the whole Flash thing in Encore was a complete waste of time & direction - sorry, but it was. The DVD functionality should have been brought up to full spec but it never was. Encore's BluRay handling is pathetically inadequate as well - it cannot even handle 5.1 LPCM which is the ONLY mandatory lossless form in BluRay (Although both DTS-HD MAS and Dolby True HD are supposedly "mandatory" codecs, what is generally not known is that only the hidden core audio component is mandatory and on a lot of profile 1.0/1.1 players, that is all that is enabled so you get the True HD/DTS-HD MAS light come on but in reality you are hearing AC3/DTS Core Audio only) which is an appalling oversight. Plus you cannot replicate the output from Encore's BluRay side unless you are running a Mac with another $600 worth of addons.

If these problems had been sorted out, instead of wasting time & effort on the pointless flash stuff, things may have gone a lot better - right now, Sony are really the only option left to new users.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points