Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Export a PDF with Imposition and wraparound

Sep 17, 2013 8:11 PM

Tags: #indesign_cs5.5

Hi everybody,

I'm a relative newbie here, and I apologize for that.  I'm looking for some help in CS5 with imposition.

Specifically:

I created a 28 page booklet, 8.5x11, for a client that has 28 pages.   Same booklet as last year.  However, this year, the client - to save money - wants to print on tabloid paper.  So an 8.5x11 format needs to convert to 17x11.

The printer they have chosen wants the inDesign document as a PDF.

Two unique problems:  one, how do I export to PDF a document that allows for imposition.  And two, the front and back cover are wraparound (a single image). 

Or, more concisely, how do I format this correctly?  And can it be done in a single file?  Or would a second file be required to handle the wraparound of 1 and 28?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to dean5432

I am confused on what you mean by saving money by printing on 11 x 17. Do you mean set the pages up in the signatures as in the outside and inside cover would be pages 1-28 and 2-27. Is it a 11x17 folded down to 8.5 x 11? if so then it really shouldnt matter if you leave it in the letter format and the printer should be able to set up the actual print pages. I run a digital/offset print shop and could do it with either file at the same cost, I would actually prefer to have the single pages. You could take 7 sheets of paper, fold them in half all together like a little book, number the pages then set up a file 11x17 and place the pages where they go on each sheet if thats what they want and say it saves you money.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 10:51 PM   in reply to dean5432

Yes just do that then, you will have 14 pages in your document that are 11 x 17. Your page one will be a combo of 28 - 1..your page 2 ( the back or inside of page 1) will be pages 2 - 27..your page 3 will be pages 26 - 3...your page 4 will be 4-25. so on and so on... Take 7 sheets of any size paper, lay them flat on on top of other, fold the whole stack at one time in half. then number the pages and then you can seperate them and see what page number will go exactly where on each sheet, It is called a dummy, and thats how I learned that Old School! Then where on the 11 x 17 sheet you put your images is where it will print, so your wrap around image will be all one peice on the file. They print, collate, fold and bind and its done!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:01 PM   in reply to dean5432

bookchart.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:02 PM   in reply to iam01printer

that is for a 12 page book layout if that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:04 PM   in reply to iam01printer

i just googled "dummy layout for printing a book" to get that image.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 17, 2013 11:05 PM   in reply to iam01printer

huntsville.minutemanpress.com will get you to the right place!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points