Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

A couple of questions???

Sep 17, 2013 10:47 PM

HI

First question, how do I import frames of a video into Premiere Elements 10?

I've done it before, but I don't remember how?  I'm 75, LOL, I don't remember what I had for dinner.

Second question, I've been importing animated characters done in Poser on a green screen background into PE 10, and placing them in video taken from computer games.

It's simple, it asks me if I want to drop the background and I say yes.

But I have an animated title (it's a script that spells out "Lucy".

I want to import the animated script as type on a transparent background, so it will appear over video I have of shadows from trees moving on a stone wall.

I took the Lucy script video I have that is on a black background and tried to import it but it doesn't ask me if I want to drop the background color.

So I took 15 of the frames and changed the background from black to green and imported them.

They didn't import as video hence the first question, but it also doesn't as if I want to drop the background color when I try and drag the frames into the time line.

So I guess my real question is how do I accomplish what I want, which is to have the Lucy script write itself on the screen, just plain white type, over the video of the wall with moving shadows, just as it did on the black background?

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/nohjekim/media/Lucy%20Shorts/LucyTes tVideo_zps42195f3b.mp4.html

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 18, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

What format and codec is the video you're outputting from Poser? Open the video in Media Info and G Spot and list the format, resolution, frame rate and codec in your next post.

Most likely Poser is not outputting a standard format video. If this is the case, you won't get a good, clean Chroma Key effect.

Or are you saying your outputting from Poser as still frames or a filmstrip? Once we know, we can better help you come up with a workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

That's some very interesting animation, Mike! Thanks for sharing it.

Are you saying you want the opening and closing titles show show over an animated background?

Are they on a video track above the video you'd like to use for your background?

If so, you can remove the black and make it transparent simply by right-clicking on the title on your timeline and selecting Apply Videomerge. Then open Applied Effects and set the Videomerge key color to black.

Or is your title now a filmstrip rather than a video? If that's the case, you may want to open a separate project, add your title filmstrip to the timeline and output that as a video so that the animated title you use in your final project is a video rather than a series of stills.

Is that what you're trying to do?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

Until proven otherwise, I do not believe that Videomerge is for you in this specific case.

Please take a look at ChromaKey for this task, with attention to adjusts for all options under Applied Effects/Applied Effects Palette/ChromaKey panel expanded with special attention to the options of Threshold and Cutoff.

I download the screenshot that you posted and have gotten this to work with .jpg and .png file; whereas I am not having a success with Videomerge for the same task.

Also, in future projects I would try to maintain the transparency of the original either by importing a file with transparency as .png or .psd or exporting a Timeline with tranparency by a known route that supports maintainance of transparency. More on that later if interested.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

I'm not sure why this is happening, Mike. But I do notice that you have Videomerge applied twice to this clip.

Remove the second one from Applied Effects and see if that makes a difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

As a test, I would try two workflows:

In Photoshop, create the title, as an Image with a Transparent Background, and white Type. Save_As a PSD, and Import that into PrE, placing it onto a Video Track above the Poser Video.

Second test, instead of using Ps to create that Image, just use PrE's Titler to do the Title, placing it above the Video on the Timeline.

If you require animation of that/those Title(s), apply those via Keyframing an Effect, say Opacity for a Fade-in/Fade-out.

I would leave Video Merge, and any Keying out of those tests.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Glad to see that Lucy is still around - I like learning of her take on "life."

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Thanks for the follow up.

From my test, the Chroma Key will work for you with that particular Lucy title whose screenshot you posted.

Again, the answer is in the Chroma Key settings in the Chroma Key Panel.

I have adopted the routine of ignoring Videomerge as a choice from Effects and/or from those persistent Videomerge messages when it believes that it has detected a solid background.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

If you number your PSD's sequentially, say "Lucy_Text 001.PSD," through "Lucy_Text 099.PSD," you should then be able to Import those as a Numbered Sequence. That will create a Video made up of those PSD's, with a 1-Frame Duration. If you want the final one to be on-screen longer (assume that you will), then just Import that 099.PSD directly, and use it at the end of the Numbered Sequence Video, extending its Duration to what you desire. Basically, you are using that one as a "Freeze Frame."

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Depends what you want to do, but here are some thoughts....

If you have 90 files and you want each with a one frame duration (0.033 sec/30 frames per second system); 0.040 sec/25 frames per second system), then

put them in sequence in a folder on the hard drive, import the folder into Premiere Elements, drag the folder to the Timeline to get the 90 files there, Edit Menu/Select All, Time Stretch and change duration from 00;00;05;00 to 00;00;00;01). That will get your 90 files each with 1 frame duration on that Timeline.

You might think about the Numbered Stills drill where you would get your 90 files automatically sized to 1 frame and placed on the Timeline, but as a video with 90 frames, each frame representing one of your files.

I have Premiere Elements/Time Lapse blog posts for each of these approaches if you need further details.

Please let us know if any of the above targeted what you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

MIke,

I did not see your latest post and that of Hunt until I had submitted my latest post.

Please check out the details that I had posted and those in my blog posts to see if it all comes together for you.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-time-lapse-video-basics.html

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-numbered-stills-in-time-lapse-an d.html

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Looks good. Thanks for letting us know the good news.

Congratulations on your success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

Thanks for posting the link. Looks like you have that part handled well.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike

Very, very nice.

I smiled at those very subtle blinks of the OO is LOOKS.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

Here is a link to the completed main title, just the way I imagined it...

Words that we love to hear.

Photobucket seems to be down at this moment, but I will check back, to see the Title segment.

Please keep us informed on Lucy's progress, and if you have posted the series, so far, somewhere, can you provide a link. I feel that she's been busy, since you were last by these parts with the Aspect Ratio issue. Would like to see more in the series.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

Great, and thank you for sharing. As always, fun!

Comments:

• The Title, "Lucy Looks at Life" is a tad long. I would cut it back, just a bit, after the "blink." Loved that blink, btw.
    • Prelude music is a bit loud, compared to Lucy's dialog to come. I found myself attenuating the music about -3dB, then raising the Volume, when Lucy spoke.
    • After the "dolly shot," closing in on Lucy, in the first scene, there is a blade of grass, that still shows in the lower-center of the Frame, in front of Lucy. It is moving, and because it is lighter than Lucy, draws the eye to it. If that dolly shot could come in just a bit more, so that the grass has been effectively cropped from the Frame, the viewer will no longer see it moving.

Otherwise, I thought that it was spectacular, and highly enjoyable. The environment looked great, and Lucy's interaction, within the Frame was beautifully done.

I hope that you do not mind the little critique.

You should be proud of this production, like the ones before it. Your use of backgrounds/settings is great, and Lucy is as much fun, as ever. Well done.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Mike,

I had not considered "cutting" the Titles to your music. I went back, and you make a good point. Now I see.

For that grass, I wonder if perhaps a bit more (not just that one waving blade) could get what you want, with a foreground object to visually suggest depth. It was the single blade, moving side-to-side, that kept catching my eye, when I should have been looking at Lucy.

Another technique might be to keep that blade of grass in the dolly shot, and then, just as it reaches Lucy, it pulls down, out of the Frame. It will have done its job, up to the point that Lucy begins to speak?

I have never worked in 3D, so you are talking above my head there. However, I am glad to hear that you are getting a handle on that medium. With gaming, I have only seen 2D, but much of it well-done to create the "illusion" of 3D - some better than others. I need to pay more attention to 3D, as it seems to be here to stay, though perhaps not with TV feeds?

Thanks for the information, and great luck, and happy editing. Please keep sharing.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

One of the things I have a problem with is the fact that if I insert something into track 3, everything in the other tracks moves too, when I only want to change the track I'm working on.

Mike,

One thing that you might explore, would be the modifier keys: Ctrl and Alt, when dragging. They alter the behavior of that new Clip. Holding down Ctrl, will Overlay, and should not affect anything on your Timeline.

Good luck, and I need to update, and revisit Poser. Mine is as old, as the hills!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Nohjekim

Yeah, I'm 60-yrs. old, just starting to find my memory loss.

Uploading your camera to a PC?

I always use The Windows[tm] Upload Tool.

Been doing that since day one.

Older camcorder's required a Firewire connection.

The New stuff is hi-def and uses high speed USB.

Always use the cable (USB) that came with the camera.

(or the same manufacture)--I use the same Canon cable for 2-different Canon camera's.

===

The other thing.

I have learned to create my movies,

not just dump stuff into the storyboard.

I build the clips that eventually will fit a single movie clip.

Message was edited by: Markpic

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

Howdy Mike,

Mark here from Connecticut.

OK--the iPad is your capture device.

(there are different types of capture devices)

You need to use the File Thumbnail, (that is the small postage-like stamp in the video folder you use.)

Right Click it, and look for the Detail's TAB.

It should be in the Properties-TAB.

You will find your video file/type and its dimensions--like audio file and frame.

There should also be some meta-data also.

===

If, you connect to a computer.

You need to say PC or Apple/Mac

===

Yes the iPad will be recognized as a device such as a HDD (folder)--its has a drive letter.

I used a external capture card (in the past)--its recognized as a camcorder.

===

So, your iPad is creating MP4 video.

Windows[tm] Live Movie Maker-2012 might have issues with completing a project.

This is why I made the switch to Adobe Premiere Element 10 + 11.

I did a complete season of mute swans building a nest--and hatching the eggs.

Live MM-2012 almost destroyed my project--(thank God, I keep back-ups and originals).

===

Using Adobe Premiere Elements 10 is different than version 11.

When using version 10--you need to begin your project by choosing the File Type that will be imported into the Project File-clipboard.

You begin by choosing New Project when opening the software.

Then you find the Project Settings--choice/

Click--change setting--if you manage different types of files.

OK--right now I have my version 10 open and I have a Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders.

Full HD 1080i 30...seems perfect for the iPad...(does your iPad use a SSD?)

This selection is just below FLIP.

Adobe Premiere Elements 10--will also FIX--your mis-match on Project settings.

(sometimes it might glitch)--but seldom.

===

Hope that's a helpful one Mike--ask away anytime.

I'm on YouTube...as Mark SM

Have a great day.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points