Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Introducing HTML5 Extensions

Sep 18, 2013 5:09 AM

When Creative Cloud was launched in June 2013, we added support for HTML5-based panels in several Adobe products. These new panels open up the world of panel development to a wider range of developers who may be more comfortable working with HTML/JavaScript and CSS. Since June, support for HTML5-based panels has been added to more Adobe products. As of now Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, Premiere Pro CC and Prelude CC support HTML5-based panels.

A preview of Adobe Extension Builder 3, a new developer tool that supports creating HTML5-based extensions, was launched in June at Adobe Labs. You can download it for free from here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/extensionbuilder3/

Starting in the middle of 2014 we will begin removing Flash-based extension support in Creative Cloud products, starting with Photoshop CC. We encourage all developers to start planning and migrating to the new extensibility framework based on HTML5.

HTML5-based panels allow developers to leverage the rich ecosystem of existing JavaScript frameworks and tools when creating their panels. HTML5-based panels share the same technology with web applications, which opens up exciting opportunities for integration with web services.

Check out these videos to see how to build and debug HTML5 Extensions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 4:09 AM   in reply to Hallgrimur Bjornsson

Hallgrimur,

does it mean, my own flash based extension, developed over the last weeks to months, which just hit the market, will be obsolete from mid 2014 on? Does it mean, the customers of my extension will not be able to use it after their Photoshop CC has been updated by the clouds update mechanisms in mid 2014? Will there be some sort of "compatibility layer" after that "official removement of Flash based Extension support? Why do you have to completely remove the support for flash based extensions in favor of HTML5 based ones? Will your cloud customers be informed or even warned, that they will not be able to use their Flash based extensions any more?

Me as a developer need definitly more informations about that and your plans.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to Hallgrimur Bjornsson

Does this include flash based custom XMP "File Info" panels?  Will they still be supported for CC  ?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 9:11 PM   in reply to Hallgrimur Bjornsson

Hi Hallgrimur,

What it actually means is that we'll have to have separate versions of the CS Extension for CS6/earlier versions (which many users will continue with forever, if possible), and CC. And this will happen far sooner than we were led to believe it would.

That is a problem, unless Adobe plans to make HTML CS Extensions backward compatible to CS5. You've said nothing about that so far, but it's critically important to CS Extension developers in the real world.

Thanks,

Ole [not Max Dunn, in spite of the login error]

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 2, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Hallgrimur Bjornsson

Currently I design my panel interface in Flex Builder (not Extension Builder). Will I be able to use Flex Builder or the Extension Builder will be mandatory for development. Also, like Max has asked, are you planning any backwards compatibility? Otherwise it will be really hard to keep "old users" compatible with the changes...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 2:48 AM   in reply to Hallgrimur Bjornsson

And what about PlugPlug API technology? will you support it in the future? I mean will be possible use HTML5 UI along with the c++ core?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to Hallgrimur Bjornsson

You do realize that the goals and interests of Adobe and those of the developer community are somewhat diametrical. Adobe wants to sell its latest products or recently to get people to sign up for creative cloud. The developer community wants to offer their products to a broad audience. That is we do care to support at least a couple of software versions into the past. Supporting only CC would really narrow our group of potential customers especially with the group existing that despise of the "software as a service" route of recent days. Now adding new features to PS CC is great, please keep doing that. HTML5 panels seem like an interesting idea, too.

But removing features from PS CC is a bad idea! In that you do two things. You force developers to develop two panel versions – one Flex based for CS4 through CS6 and one HTML5 based for the future PS CC. By removing support for the flash based panels you have been propagating for the last years you bring your customers into a predicament, too. They can’t use stuff they bought and that uses panels. They will not necessarily get free upgrades to any such products nor will such updates even necessarily be available. In the old perpetual license world that would have been no problem. You could keep you PS CSx (where “x” is any version) installed paralelly and be happy with it.

Today - if you don’t also own CSx - can you keep multiple versions of PS CC installed? I think not. Therefore removing functionality from PS CC that once was in PS CC is a really bad idea in my opinion. Especially since the Flash stuff is Adobe’s own technology it seems kind of nonsensical to kill its support.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to C.Oldendorf

Amem to that C.Oldendorf (although I think it will not change anything from Adobe's perspective )

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2014 1:45 AM   in reply to Hallgrimur Bjornsson

Any specify date when Flash support will be removed from Illustrator CC?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)