Skip navigation
lots@film
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 11 Editor not opening photos - Please help

Sep 19, 2013 2:43 PM

Tags: #help #issue #jpeg #open #editor #intel_graphics #win8 #pse11 #intel_4600

I have been using PSE 11 on an old XP pc for a couple of months - slowly.  Assembled new pc around Intel 4770K (using on-chip Intel 4600 graphics) with Windows 8 64bit.  When I open any photo file in the Editor, there is no error mesage, but the photo does not open.  The same photos are displayed in the PSE Organizer.

I have read about updating video drivers and have done that.  After doing another round of video driver updates this morning while on phone line with Adobe Support, I was able to open a couple of files, but then shut down and went to work.

Now after booting up again PSE is back to not displaying the open files again.  The installed video driver remains the one installed this morning after which this did work.  There are no more newer versions.

I appreciate any advice.  I assembled this pc for this purpose - having thousands of old slides and film to digitize and cleanup.

Also - the files that fail to open are logged into history and show in the editor Open menu as recent files, even though they have never actually been opened.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to lots@film

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to lots@film

lots@film wrote:

I have determined that it is specific photo files that the Editer will open. 

Are all the files it will open of different file types to those it won't?

In the Organizer, if you double-click one of the problem files does it display at full size?

In the Organizer, if you select Edit with Photoshop Elements does it display in the Editor, or perhaps give an error message?

Try adding one of the problem files to a reply in this forum (use the camera icon to add an image). It'll be interesting to see if your web browser can display the file (or, if yours doesn't, does mine).

Can you view the problem files with Windows Photo Viewer? Have you tried one of the many free image viewers (e.g. IrfanView, XNView, or Fururix)?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to lots@film

Weird. I can't think what might cause that behaviour. If photo viewing is one of your principal computer uses you might consider putting a jpeg file in your startup folder, forcing the Windows Photo Viewer to fire up each time you use the computer.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers