Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I create a disc menu with a black background and no audio?

Sep 19, 2013 4:57 PM

I don't want much, just a disc menu with a black background and no audio.  I am relatively new to this product, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 19, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to PolarBear74

Welcome to the forum.

To make sure that you get the best instructions, can you tell us which OS version you are running, and also which version of PrE you are using?

Your request will be simple, and easy to do, but the exact details might differ enough, per version, as to be confusing, if the version # is not taken into consideration.

Good luck, and please let us know just a bit more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to PolarBear74

PolarBear74

The basics of the question are going to be more or less the same from version to version.

But, it is always best to know the version of Premiere Elements involved and the computer operating system that is running on.

The essential questions for any version include:

a. Do you want a main menu and scene menu?

b. How many main menu buttons and how many scene menu buttons do you require?

c. What is the organization of your Timeline that will have to be navigated by these buttons with the TV Remote in the play back of the presumed DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? Is this DVD-VIDEO going to be standard or widescreen.

But perhaps I am taking too much for granted. Is the disc menu wanted for burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD on DVD disc, or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

You seem fairly decided on the black background, are you just as decided on the color of the text?

For the version of Premiere Elements that you have, have you already decided on a disc menu that you would like to use if you could have its background black, your choice of color for the text, and no audio? If so, please name that disc menu.

We will watch for your follow up with these details.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to PolarBear74

PolarBear74

For now I will assume that your project preset is NTSC DV Widescreen. Take a look at this idea and see if it works for you. We will fine tune SD, W, HD later.

Premiere Elements 11

Project Preset = NTSC DV Widescreen

Unless you have a black jpg 720 x 480...Project Presets/New Item/Black Video and export it Publish+Share/Computer/Image with preset = jpg NTSC SD. This is your black jpg image which you will browse to and select as your Video background insert in the Movie Menu customization of the program for the main and scene menu.

Then go to

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

Sports

(AV) Extreme

and remove the "Sport_mm_bg__aud.mp3" file from the (AV) Extreme Folder...put that file somewhere for safe keeping, perhaps on the computer desktop.

Back in Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace

Tools/Movie Menu/ select Sport/(AV) Extreme

Insert your main and scene menu replacement black background

You should have your menu with blackground, respectable white text, and no audio.

Please give that a try and then we will decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I am not sure about this statement:

The basics of the question are going to be more or less the same from version to version.

The Menu Editor has changed, as of PrE 11, so knowing the version IS a good first step, or any screen-caps, etc., could be confusing to a new user. That is why I asked about the version. That might be part of "more or less," but well worth making note of.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 6:37 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

For newcomber or pro

The initial questions to which I was referring were related to what had to be done deciding between an existing DVD template and one that had be worked on at the .psd level in order to achieve the effect of black background and no audio without a major production.

Examples..

• finding a menu that allowed for full background replacement instead of a partial one at the level of Disc Menus/Movie Menus within the program.
    • main menu and/or scene menu requirements
    • how many buttons
    • removal of audio at computer hard drive level
    • and whatever stated previously

Fundamental no matter what version. That is what I was saying. Did you not see what I included with my request for the lead in fundamentals?

But, it is always best to know the version of Premiere Elements involved and the computer operating system that is running on.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 7:43 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

But, as the Menu Editing screen has changed, knowing which version of PrE one is using, can be very important.

Sorry to disagree that it is not.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

It appears I am not about to convince you about the what I wrote and why as re-stated. But for those interested, the following screenshots show the fundamental menu area for menu customization opportunities.

For the purpose of responding to the question posed

Premiere Elements 11 Windows

PE11.JPG

Premiere Elements 10 Windows

PE10.JPG

Not sure what you mean by and what you are seeing when you write about Menu editing screen has changed. The question goes to menu background (black at that) and without audio. 

Premiere Elements 4 Windows

4menus.JPG

No more to be said.

We are looking forward to getting PolarBear74 the menu sought. If not the one described, then another.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 9:41 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Now, it should be easy to understand that those Menu Editing Panels differ, so knowing the exact version could well be important. If one wishes to do screen-caps for different versions, then fine. I was trying to distill the version, to know exactly how to direct the OP. My only intent.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to PolarBear74

PolarBear74

Generation of your .jpg file (all black) for Video Background insertion (main menu and scene menu)

blackvideo.jpg

2. Clicking on Black Video in the above will result in a 720 x 480 black video file (default duration 5 sec NTSC) automatically placed on Expert workspace Timeline.

3. Publish+Share/Computer/Image with Presets = JPEG - NTSC SD

ImageExport.jpg

4. The end result should be a 720 x 480 jpg file (all black image) saved to your computer hard drive at

the location specified in the export area's Save In:

Please do not hesitate to ask if any further questions on this.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to PolarBear74

PolarBear74,

Perhaps something like this "Blank Menu" Set would work for you? 

It is in a RAR (WinRAR, or similar, will be needed to Extract the Blank Menu folder) archived file. One would just Extract To, and direct WinRAR to the necessary Path.

In my case, I Extracted it to the \\\\DVD Templates\All_Lang\General, so that it appears along with Fun, Glass Flowers, Grid, Aquarium, etc. DVD Templates. The exact Path to the DVD Templates\All_Lang will differ by one's OS version. ATR has provided a Path for later versions of Windows, and as I am still on XP-Pro on this laptop, I do not wish to confuse things by giving MY Path, as it will likely be different than for Vista, Win7 or Win8.

I did not do a PNG (Menu Set thumbnails) for all languages, but only en_US. However, the various languages are in the PSD's, if needed. Those other languages just do not have a thumbnail for them.

Note: there is no "(A)" in the folder's name, as there is no Audio associated with those PSD files, in the Menu Set.

Hope that this is helpful.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to PolarBear74

PolarBear74

I would like to give you some perspective on Hunt's latest contribution to this thread as it relates to the workflow that I have suggested. Hopefully to supplement his suggestions to make his ready made DVD template work for you.

1. He has taken the same Adobe DVD Template "(AV) Extreme" that I used. In my case, I gave you instructions for achieving your goal yourself with easy steps that could be done in your computer with Premiere Elements 11, no need for a 3rd party software. In his case, he used Photoshop to edit the .psd background layer (Color Fill of Black) for each of the main and scene menu, and he made sure there was no audio file in the theme folder along with the .psd files. The details of how he did it does not impact you since he is gifting you with ready for use (after placement) menu set. The only shortcoming that I see is that it would appear that you cannot customize the background of his blank menus in the Movie Menu customization of Premiere Elements 11. It looks like that is a committed black background menu set.

2. To make useful his contribution if you choice to use it, is the "Blank Menu Template Set" placement in Premiere Elements folders/files on the computer hard drive.

a. He posts a Blank_Menu.rar.zip file that requires extraction. If you have never encountered this rar.zip before, this can be challenging. For now, I will assume no problem for you.

b. After extraction you are left with a Blank_Menu Folder  which contains a Blank_Menu Folder which contains the menus assets.

c. Take the Blank_Menu Folder which contains the menus assets (that second folder) and place it at the end of the following Windows 7 or 8 64 bit path...

Local Disc C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Temp

General

It is in this General Folder that you will place the specified Blank_Menu Folder.

(His Folder inclusions choices have directed us specifically to this route. There is another way which I will not go into now so we do not detour in some technical aspects of these types of tasks.)

I went through the above first hand. If I have misinterpreted anything that I have read of Hunt's work, Hunt or you, be sure to let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

It was the Entertainment>Music Video, but you are correct, the process was the same - just performed in Photoshop. I chose that Menu Set because of the simple Scene Buttons, and the existing white text on them (knowing that the desire was for a black background). That black background was just a new Color Layer (black), that replaced the Music Video's Foreground and Background Layers. The omission of the Audio was also done per PolarBear's wishes.

One way, or the other, I hope that we can get PolarBear just what is required.

Hunt

PS - I found it odd that PrE did not include a "Blank Menu" Template in the Additional Functional Content, but suppose that due to the necessary conventions for a PrE Menu Set, they did not feel that the time to adapt the one in Encore, was worth the effort. I started to use that one, but calculated that it would be more work to correct the various necessary naming conventions to go from Encore to PrE, so I just picked one with many of the necessary attributes, from the PrE library. I will also offer that Menu Set to Steve Grisetti, in case he thinks that it would be useful to the Muvipix subscribers. Not sure if I should change the Type up a bit, but will let him direct me.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

What you have described has a fixed use, that is, a black background that cannot be changed without going into the .psd file and only 4 buttons on the scene selection page unless you go into the .psd file to add more buttons. Except for the button set,  Adobe menus allow for more flexibility for the average user without taking him or her into .psd files which may or may not allow for their Layer Groups to be opened. Changing a background at the .psd level does not require Layer Group opening so avoids the Layer Group opening dependancy. But, why should you have to do that when Video Background customization for main menu and scene menu is available from within the program?

And, how you opted to create your the black background in the .psd appears to have  killed the flexiabilty of your menu with regard to allowing Video Background change from black to anything else in the Movie Menu section of Premiere Elements 11. Please check it out.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hello ATR,

As I was going with the parameters, set forth by PolarBear, I did not anticipate that they would also need to change the black background, from what was specified. The fix for the changable background was easy, and the Menu Sets can be updated to feature that function.

How many Scenes per Scene Selection Menu, do you want? If you need, say six per Scene Selection Menu, I can do that for you, and I think (have not tested a 3x2 matrix, without having to Scale down the Buttons) that will work too. Beyond six, one would need to do a fair amount of Scaling, to fit more.

Thanks for pointing out that PolarBear might want to change the black background. I had not considered that possibility.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 6:08 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks for the follow.

What generated my comments on your menu was your statement about offering the menu to someone other than PolarBear. That was the focus of my comments on your menu's flexibility. Until further news from PolarBear, that user seems fixed on black backgrounds and no audio. So be it until further news direct from the user on that.

Did you understand my message about your menus not being able to have its Video backgrounds replaced in the programs Disc Menus/Movie Menu section of the program? You can fix that. Not sure if you did that since I mentioned it.

The number of buttons that will fit on the menu without overlap varies. So many factors, including whether the buttons are thumbnails with text titles or just text buttons. If you want to get a good idea of what I consider a fairly flexible disc menu, check out the Generic One DVD Template in the earlier versions of Premiere Elements. (the 6  thumbnail buttons on the main menu besides Play All and Scene Selection and 8 thumbnails on the scene menu). With that one you can go either thumbnails or text buttons. But, even here often one has to go into the ,psd. There are also tricks where you make the scene menu the main menu page to gain buttons per page, and so.

So I think that what is being offered needs to be defined.

a. A menu that is best suited for customization within the program.

or

b. A menu for a beginner who want a special customized menu and does not know how to do that.

or

c. A menu that has more assets to begin with and which lends itself to customization at the program and/or .psd level.

And, as I have reported, the maximum number of buttons per menu page does not necessary go just to fit.

There is no one size fits all.

Definitely a good idea to get PolarBear's menu situation taken care of.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

For additional use, that has been changed, and now Still Images will add nicely, though that little "message" about Add Media, is not present. Still, by using the Menu Editor, one can add such.

I have not updated the RAR yet, so it still has the Menu Set for PolarBear. I am waiting for comments and any instructions from Steve G., to make any other changes.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

There are those who just may be reading the latest post in a thread.

For them, I would make this mention. The wait for your finalization of your gift menu to the general public will not stop PolarBear, the originator of this thread, from moving forward now with

a. my easy how to do it yourself for the menus with black background and no audio

or

b. your ready made gift menu specific to this user's posted requirements of menus with black background with no audio (menus requiring unzipping from downloaded rar.zip folder and subsequent placement in the correct location on the computer hard drive).

Right now we are waiting for the originator of this thread to reenter the thread for status update and any further questions/comments from the user.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to PolarBear74

PolarBear74

Thanks for the great news. Glad that worked for you.

As soon as possible, to avoid nuisances, it is a good idea to edit out your contact information in your post.

Continued success with your Premiere Elements workflows. Please do next hesitate to ask if you have any further questions about anything that I write.

Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points