Skip navigation
Wilderness08
Currently Being Moderated

AVCHD file compatibillity with Prem. Pro CS5

Sep 19, 2013 9:27 PM

I have Premiere Pro CS5 and am switching from my old miniDV camcorder to a new AVCHD format camcorder. I'm used to capturing footage directly from my old tape camcorder, but am not familiar with the process of working with files on a flash card. Will I be able to transfer and edit the video files as easily--and hopefully faster--as compared to the capture from tape? Please advise before I invest in the new camcorder. I'm obviously new to this process so any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to Wilderness08

Going from DV to tapeless is sort of a two steps forward, but one step backwards scenario.

The normal process is to copy the entire contents of the card over to your hard drive, and then use the Media Browser feature of Premiere Pro to import those files.  This is usually much faster than the real time process of capturing.  You also don't have to deal with tape errors, so those are the two steps forward.

But the one step backwards is that once the card is transferred over, you really need to leave it alone.  You won't be able to rename, move or otherwise 'manage' the video clips as you could with DV.  You leave everything in the top level PRIVATE folder untouched.  Changing or deleting things in there could potentially cause issues with PP when it comes time to edit.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to Wilderness08

30p is an oddball format with very little support.  I generally recommend not using it for anything.  If you want to shoot at 30 fps, shoot interlaced, which is the norm for this frame rate.  If you don't want interlaced, then shoot 60p or 24p.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 6:18 PM   in reply to Wilderness08

1080p/24 for the lectures and either 1080i/30 or 720p/60 for hockey, shooter's choice.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points