Skip navigation
tommy-fn2
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS 5.5 - "Could not save [filename] because the file is locked..........."

Sep 20, 2013 4:39 AM

Tags: #design #pc #issues #jpg #photoshop_cs5.5

Hi,

We have a few iMacs here all running 10.8.4 - we have PhotoShop CS 5.5 and all the artwork etc is saved on a shared server ( Windows 2008 r2)   and we are forever getting these problems......

Only in photoshop we get the following error message......

"Could not save [filename] because the file is locked or you do not have the necessary access privilege. Use the 'Get info' command in the finder to unlock the file or change permissions on the file or enclosing folders"

Can't see this been an access issue so really don't know whats causing this other than the fact it's just server based...

Please please please somebody help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to tommy-fn2

Something is wrong on the server or at the OS level.  But you should double check the permissions on the server.

Photoshop CC tries to work around several known server and OS bugs when saving to a file server (especially on MacOS).

Also, Apple has been fixing quite a few server related bugs in the OS recently -- you should install all the OS updates to keep up with their bug fixes.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to tommy-fn2

If the issue only started recently, backtrack to see what changed on your machines and server.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to tommy-fn2

You can copy your text/data in new file & save as new file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to tommy-fn2

You should be on 10.8.5 at this point.

But no, there are no known issues like that.

Most likely cause is a configuration/permissions problem on the server.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to tommy-fn2

I have been hqving this issue on windows after I upgraded to internet explorer 10 and using outlook (hotmail.com) to attach images to an email.

After a file saved via photoshop (i assum any programe not just photoshop will cause this problem) is attached in outlook to an email, IE10 will not let go of that file.  meaning if you update the image in Photoshop and try and save over the existing jpg you previously attached it will give this error, file locked or file permissions needed etc.

Just posting this info incase you are using email to attach files and then getting these permisssion problems.

I work around it by closing the outlook browser tab (the email), so it lets go of the file, I can then save ontop of the file no problem, I then open outlook as needed.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points