Skip navigation
Dennisp@cuesinc.com
Currently Being Moderated

Cylinder animation

Sep 20, 2013 7:59 AM

I'm a newbie and hoping this group can help me.

I want to learn how to take for example a flat item think of a photo and have it go from flat and roll up into a cylinder.  The camera view would show it happen and then the camera view would move thru the cylinder.

Here's where I get "confused"  LOL

I know how to make a 3D cylinder in Photoshop Entended and show the 3D tools but taking that and creating the animation in AE is where I get confused.  Again I'm a newbie really want to learn and appriciate any imput!!  Do I create in AE, Photoshop....  I'm good at Premiere so I understand timeline, keyframes, etc... so that should help I hope

I would like to shot this going from flat to a cylinder with the split at 6 oclock.   Ok show this newbie  :-)

Thanks!!!!!

Pipe cylinder sample.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to Dennisp@cuesinc.com

What version of AE are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to Szalam

Cs6. Premium suite

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to Dennisp@cuesinc.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to Dennisp@cuesinc.com

That feature will create a half-cylinder, but not a full cylinder.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

That's why the video gives a workaround for making a full cylinder.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to Dennisp@cuesinc.com

This link explains how to get a full cylinder out of it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to Szalam

This work around just seems to make a double or two of the same.  I need a complete cylinder with the skin/image going a full 360.  I'm tiring to learn how to show it unrolling so the image goes from a flat into this cylinder view.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Hardrockchina

RIght, so do two half cylinders using the two halves of your image.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to Hardrockchina

"I need a complete cylinder with the skin/image going a full 360.  I'm tiring to learn how to show it unrolling so the image goes from a flat into this cylinder view."

That's a photorealistic-looking cylinder.  I presume you want it to also look photorealistic when it is flat, and as you animate it as it rolls up.  As it rolls up, reflections will move.  Perspective will change.  Specular highlights will move. 

These are things you can't accomplish using a still image.  These are things you can't accomplish in AE.  You need to use a real 3D application to do them.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

> These are things you can't accomplish in AE.  You need to use a real 3D application to do them.

.... which is, of course, why we include a full 3D application (Cinema 4D) with After Effects now, in After Effects CC (12.0) and later.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to Dennisp@cuesinc.com

The easiest way to do this is with a plug-in like Borris FX or Conoa which will give you the ability to wrap and unwrap a cylinder.

Doing in in CS6 with ray tracing and bending a layer would be a bit of a pain and slow to render. A pain because the curvature percentage is not linear and the layers do not curve around the anchor point. Making it smooth and making it look like a flat plain was rolling up would be a time consuming process.

If you don't want to use a 3rd party plug-in another option would be to use CC sphere and animate a solid moving through a pre-comp to create the cylinder. Duplicate the pre-comp, time reverse the layer, and position it carefully, apply CC Cylinder to the top copy and add a light to match the lighting on CC Sphere. Throw in a Camera to get another view of the sphere and you should be good to go. This took me about  5 minutes to set up. You'll find the CS6 project files here.

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 10.59.47 PM.png

If you want even more control all for free and you have After Effects CC you could create a wrapped sphere in Blender, export the obj file, load than in C4D Lite and bring that into AE. I haven't played around with modeling much in C4D Lite but you may be able to do it all in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to Dennisp@cuesinc.com

Just add you're still image to your project. Then select the solid layer in the pre-comp. Now select the footage in the project and hold down the alt/option key and drag to the timeline.

There is really much to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Taking a close look at your image, it looks like it needs to be rotated 90°.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 7:05 PM   in reply to Dennisp@cuesinc.com

Please go through the getting started materials. Length of compositions is set in the composition settings. The speed of the animation is controlled by the time between keyframes.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Will do. Thanks

I got the second light going but the animated layer with 3d is the one I can't seem to get the time to change.  I can change comp1 and the first animated solid but this one (item 4) seems to be locked at 30 frames.   I got the key frame figured out.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to Hardrockchina

The time it takes to wrap the cylinder depends on the speed of the moving layer in the pre-comp. Simple as that. Just change the length of both the pre-comp and the main comp and then move the last keyframe down the timeline. That's all there is to it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points