Skip navigation
MickyRatz
Currently Being Moderated

How can I prevent Adobe Acrobat from applying optimizations and compressionsserve on save/save as...

Sep 20, 2013 9:57 AM

I am generating mailpiece documents as PDF v1.4 from a document composition tool.  I am using Enfocus Pitstop v10 (v10.1.7.27 to be exact) to remove some unneeded water marks from the produced document.

My issue is that I need to PRESERVE the original PDF structure as emitted from my composiiton tool and I'm finding that regardless how I proceed, Adobe Acrobat want to resave the PDF as v1.6 and apply a series of optimizations and compressions which alters the original PDF structure.  The reason I need to preserve the strucure of thePDF is to confirm 508 compliance for the emitted PDF documents.

Note: I've tried various settings in Acrobat Distiller and the Adobe PD printer (thinking they are invoked somewhere inthe backgroud of Acrobat when it goes to save/save as...) but haven't experienced any progress...

Am I chasing a rabbit here (meaning what I want is NOT possible) or am I missing something in my configuration attempts??

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to MickyRatz

If you need the final PDF to have the requisite well-formed structure tree (that is, compliant with ISO 14289-1, PDF/UA-1) and thus "accessible" then you need to do the adjustments to your PDF's content streams before establishing that well-formed structure tree.

Note that PDF  versions 1.4 or above can have that well-formed structure tree - put another way PDF version 1.4 or PDF-1 (PDF is the ISO Standard ISO 32000-1) can have the well-formed structure tree. I can 'build' such a PDF that starts as PDF version 1.4 via Acrobat 5, do some additional post-processing with Acrobat XI Pro which, via a Save As puts the PDF into a new "version" and *not* adversely affect content streams / structure tree.  Your post-processing is what is changing the "guts" not the save to a different version.

Just becaues - an obtw:

For those who desire to / need to provide accessible PDF success is predicated in having and understanding the essential reference material.
    ISO 32000-1 (14.8 in particular).

Document Management – Portable Document Format – Part 1: PDF 1.7, First Edition

Adobe (Jul 2008)
    This document is an ISO approved copy of the ISO 32000-1 Standards document. By agreement with ISO, Adobe Systems Incorporated is allowed to offer this version of the ISO standard as a free PDF file on their own Web site.
    It is not an official ISO document but the technical content is identical; the page and section numbers are also preserved.
    http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/p df/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf

ISO 14289-1 (PDF/UA-1)
    This you will have to purchase ($104) from the ANSI Web Store.

http://webstore.ansi.org/FindStandards.aspx?SearchString=iso+14289-1&S earchOption=0&PageNum=0&SearchTermsArray=null%7ciso+14289-1%7cnull

The Matterhorn Protocol.

http://www.pdfa.org/2013/08/the-matterhorn-protocol-1-0/

The resources for Accessible PDF at the AIIM site.

http://www.aiim.org/Research-and-Publications/Standards/Committees/PDF UA

PDF/UA-1 Technical Implementation Guide: Understanding ISO 14289-1 (PDF/UA-1)

PDF/UA-1 Technical Implementation Guide: Understanding ISO 32000-1 (PDF 1.7) (under development)

Achieving WCAG 2.0 with PDF/UA
    (WCAG 2.0 for PDF IS PDF/UA-1)

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to MickyRatz

You can use Acrobat Pro to save to whatever version of PDF/A you need. If anything in particular is forbidden in PDF/A it will convert it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points