Skip navigation
UliKezurb
Currently Being Moderated

Move a collection from one catalog to another?

Sep 20, 2013 12:03 PM

Tags: #catalog #collection #move #machines

In Lightroom 4, I would like to copy a catalog from machine 1 to machine 2, and while someone else is working on machine 1, I would like to create a collection on machine 2, and then just move that collection back onto machine 1's original catalog.  The user on machine 1 is also making collections, so if I just copied the catalog back from machine 2 when I was done, it would destroy the new collections on machine 1, so I think I want to just move the collection I create on machine 2.  Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to UliKezurb

Collections have existence only inside a give Catalog, as a virtual grouping - the idea of "moving a Collection" in some physical way, has no meaning, because it isn't a "thing". Membership of a collection cannot even be written out to the individual files. So, no.

Parallel working on the same image via two catalogs, is AFAICT inevitably bound to result in lost work in one or the other direction, when you resolve (as you will have to at some point) that mutually-incompatible metadata.

If you have to work two Catalogs in parallel, it will IMO prove far better to do so via separated and distinct ones, that do not share any images in common. Then there is no issue of mismatch.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 5:09 PM   in reply to UliKezurb

The simple answer to your question is, you can't do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to UliKezurb

UliKezurb wrote:

Is this possible?

Yes. LrFourB will copy (regular/non-smart) collections from one catalog to another. It uses photo-path to identify photos, so database ID's of photos need not be same in both catalogs, i.e. as long as photos are at the same path in both catalogs, the photo collections will be migrated properly.

Note: no collections will be re-moved from destination catalog, but *all* collections will be copied from source catalog (there is no facility for picking and choosing which collections will be copied).

Instructions:

* In catalog A, invoke "Export Lr4 stuff" (ignore the '4' in Lr4, and ignore the '3' in the Lr3 in prompts and logs...).

* Move the "Regular Collection Definitions" folder from catalog A folder to catalog B folder.

* In catalog B, invoke "Import Lr4 stuff" (ignore the '4' in Lr4...) - answer 'No' when it asks you if you want to do photos, and answer 'Yes' when it asks you if you want to do collections.

That said, I'm not sure I can actually recommend such a procedure, but I've done it a few times - it worked...

PS - In case you haven't figured it out yet, the plugin was originally intended as a piece in the puzzle for migrating things (from Lr3) to Lr4b before it was released. Still, other than the potentially misleading references to Lr3 & Lr4b..., it's a fairly general purpose plugin. It's just not very polished, nor documented, nor super-well-tested/used-alot...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to UliKezurb

Select the collection on machine 2, use Export as Catalog, and on machine 1 use Import from Another Catalog. It doesn't move any images, just the data about them.

Lightroom is not a multi-user application. Use it that way and you have to put in effort, teamwork and discipline/coordination.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to UliKezurb

If you use 'Import from Another Catalog', just be aware:

You have to either import new photos, or replace the develop settings and/or metadata from changed photos, in order to also get the collections you're after, e.g.

import_from_catalog_nothing_selected_button_disabled.gif

If that is your objective (or in any case, is ok), then importing catalogs is the tried n' true "best practice" way to do it, otherwise - it's a no go.

To be clear: if there aren't any new photos, or changed photos to overwrite data about, then there can be no import of collections from another catalog.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 4:44 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

What about that box that allows you to handle existing photos? You don't HAVE TO replace existing photos, you can preserve the old settings as a virtual copy.

Anyway, to the original user, you might want to consider software that was truly designed to be mutli-user, so that two people could work on your catalog at the same time, and you wouldn't have to transfer information back and forth. One such software is Daminion.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to UliKezurb

Daminion also looks like a neat option, but we're an Apple shop... ( for now, anyway).

It might still be worth your time to see if there are any Mac software that are multi-user Digital Asset Management tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 7:40 AM   in reply to UliKezurb

Try getting one or two of the more IT aware folk to use the export/import as catalog workflow - including yourself - and build up your community's knowledge and confidence. You can, for example, export a catalogue and give it to the  but IT-dim graphic artist, let them work on it in isolation, then take it back and import their work into your main catalogue. You need this sort of human oversight and teamwork to use LR in a multi-user environment like you describe.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

You don't HAVE TO replace existing photos, you can preserve the old settings as a virtual copy.

Assuming you mean "you don't HAVE TO replace existing photo settings and/or metadata, then:

Yes, you DO. The *old* settings can be saved as a sorta backup-via-(different)-virtual-copy, but the settings of changed photos will be replaced by incoming.

Again, to be clear: if that's what you want, then it's a good thing, otherwise - it's not.

To summarize:

===========

* If OP wants to synchronize photo settings and/or metadata along with collections, 'Import From Another Catalog' is the ticket. Otherwise, he/she must consider "plan B".

~R.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points