Skip navigation
IndigoInk
Currently Being Moderated

Indent to here for right justified text?

Sep 20, 2013 11:49 AM

Tags: #indent_to_here #right_justified_text

I am working on a form that will be translated into Arabic. I have versions of it in multiple languages that all read left to right, but this one obviously has to be right to left. So I'm mirroring all of my text and right justifying it, but I'm having trouble figuring out how I can "indent to here" with text that is right justified. I have some check boxes before text that I have used the "indent to here" command with to make the text line up neatly after it. Is there a way to do this with right justified text? I don't want to use tabs or weird line breaks, because once it's translated into Arabic all that formatting will be lost. I've included a couple of screenshots so you can see what I mean.

This is how the English version looks.

Screen shot 2013-09-20 at 11.44.25 AM.png

This is how the Arabic version looks now (hasn't been translated yet), but I want the box to stick outside the text like it does in the English version, only on the right hand side.

Screen shot 2013-09-20 at 11.44.03 AM.png

Is this possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to IndigoInk

While Indent to Here is a by-now deprecated approach, it will not work for what you want with Latin-based languages that favor left-to-right.

Neither will the proper approach of shaping a paragraph with a paragraph style. A paragraph style has a Last Line Indent (or, negatively, an Outdent) but not a first line Outdent for the right side.

I can only get the bulleting part of the paragraph style to build a bullet on the left side.

Maybe the Middle Eastern language version of InDesign can do this? I don't know, since I have never worked with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 9:56 PM   in reply to IndigoInk

If you gave me (the DTP guy in a translation firm) some right-aligned text and asked for an Arabic translation, I'd give you back left-aligned text. Your efforts to try to make their job easier, or clearer, are probably just muddying the waters, or even making it harder. There is absolutely a "Text Flow RTL" control in InDesign ME, just as there's a Spine Right control, a RTL Story control, you name it. So your efforts may communicate to your translation supplier what you want the end result to look like, but if they're going to be doing the DTP work, I assure you that they will throw out your RTL mockup and then use your fully-functional LTR template, and adjust that, in order to set up their translation.

(Or throw out your work entirely and rebuild your entire document from the ground up, to make something that looks like what you want, butis actually easy to localize. Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but more than half the time, the designer's work is so useless to me that I just make a PDF, place it, and use it as a guide to make a brand-new ID document that won't choke a translation workflow.)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 9:58 PM   in reply to IndigoInk

Oh heck, I read too fast.

But they're not expected to format the document, just replace English text with Arabic, which is why I'm trying to find a way that works in the Latin language version of InDesign.

If they work in InDesign, then they'll be using the ME version. Or World Tools, or some other tool that will let them use InDesign's RTL features to flip your LTR template. Or they should be fired and replaced with a competent localiztion firm.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points