I've been using PE10 since March of 2012 without issue. Sometime within the past 2 weeks a problem with the video transport has occured. Video and audio play fine but as soon as it tranitions to a still image the video holds on the image while the audio plays on and the video will not change to another image or video during playback unless I click on the preview window. I have reinstalled PE10 twice with no luck. I updated my OS and videocard drivers and ran several files through gspot that I learned about here on these forums. Nothing.
Does anyone have any idea why PE10 would suddenly malfunction after working just fine for a year and a half? My comp specs are as follows:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
Core i7 cpu (2.2 Ghz)
nvidia Geforce GTX 560M videocard
1T storage (2 500GB Harddrives)
Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?
Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime? Have you manually gone to Windows Update, selected Restore Hidden Updates and downloaded the updates that don't install automatically?
When did you last run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter?
Could you please include in your reply to SG what the pixel dimensions are for your stills? And, are these with raw, jpg, or other format?
And, is this happening in just one project, or is it happening even in a new project?
Hi Steve and A.T.
Thanks for your quick responses. We're using a Sony video camera (not sure of the model) set to 1080p. I am using the latest version of Quicktime. I reinstalled it and click the 'repair' option. I checked and there were no hidden updates. I ran disk cleanup and am in the process of defragging the C drive. It was only 1% fragmented but I decided to do it anyway. I'm going to defrag the E drive when this one is done as well. The stills are PNG 2896x1936.
It started a couple of weeks ago with a new project but when I open and play previous projects the same problem occurs. Here is a link to the last video I did before the problem started. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtGVNUQ47LI Except now, when it transitions to the first image after the intro., the video freezes on that image while the audio continues to play as it should.
Thanks for your help guys.
Two more quick questions, please:
How many of those PNG's do you have in the Project?
Is your nVidia driver the very latest for the GTX 560M? Check on the nVidia Web site, to determine that.
In the new project I was trying to start, the most I had tried using before I gave up due to this problem was 4. It was after this that I decided to see if my previous project was still working properly and it isn't.
I updated the GTX drivers last week and checked this morning for new ones but there were none.
Thank you for that information.
Only having a few PNG's (yours are not really that large), should not be an issue - ruled out, unless you have a very, very underpowered computer, or perhaps 5200RPM HDD's.
Having the latest nVidia video driver rules that out too.
I'll wait to see what Steve G., and ATR are thinking about.
That was very great news.
In reflecting back, was the onset of the issue the same as when you made changes in the video card or the video card driver version? How long ago was the video card driver changed form 320.49 to what you had when you posted the issue?
From what you wrote in the beginning, it sounded like you updated the video card driver only after the problem set in.
That was an interesting outcome.
Very interesting, and thank you for pursuing this, and then reporting on the results.
Going back a few years, there were two nVidia drivers, in a row, with some issues, that showed up mainly in Adobe programs. By the time that we tracked down the issues, and came up with a fix, nVidia had an new driver, that handled all of the problems.
About a year ago, AMD/ATI released a whole series of drivers for their Radeon cards, that also caused issues - mostly with Adobe Photoshop. Then, the answer was to roll-back to an earlier driver, but they got that sorted out. Luckily, their next series (after a longer lag, than what we had seen in the past), they released a good driver.
While I espouse updating video drivers, I only do so, when I have issues. I might go 6 - 8 driver versions for my Quadro cards, before I update - Still, when there IS a problem, that is one of the first things that I look at.
Good work, and good luck,
Your questions got me retracing my steps and I finally figured it all out. Sept. 3rd was the last project I did without any problems. On Sept. 6th, I updated the drivers from version 320.49 to 326.80. Last week I started a new project which is when I first noticed the problem. Yesterday I checked for updates and installed the latest drivers, version 327.23. Apparently neither 326.80 nor 327.23 installed completely because I just tried to install both of them again and got a message saying "The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close." I must not have been paying attention the first time.
So long story short, for anyone who may have this same problem and search these forums for a solution:
drivers 320.49 GOOOOD
drivers 326.80 and 327.23 BAAAAD (at least for my system)
I'll try again with the next update and post the results here.
Thanks again A.T.!
Sounds like history is repeating itself. LOL
I like your idea of updating drivers only when there is an actual issue. Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The drivers I just rolled back to are from July and never gave me any problems. Still, I'll try with the next version just in the hope they get it right this time. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath.
Thanks again for your help!