Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 10 Video Stops Playing

Sep 22, 2013 9:25 AM

I've been using PE10 since March of 2012 without issue. Sometime within the past 2 weeks a problem with the video transport has occured. Video and audio play fine but as soon as it tranitions to a still image the video holds on the image while the audio plays on and the video will not change to another image or video during playback unless I click on the preview window. I have reinstalled PE10 twice with no luck. I updated my OS and videocard drivers and ran several files through gspot that I learned about here on these forums. Nothing.

Does anyone have any idea why PE10 would suddenly malfunction after working just fine for a year and a half? My comp specs are as follows:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1

Core i7 cpu (2.2 Ghz)

nvidia Geforce GTX 560M videocard

8G memory

1T storage (2 500GB Harddrives)

Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to fsautter

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime? Have you manually gone to Windows Update, selected Restore Hidden Updates and downloaded the updates that don't install automatically?

When did you last run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to fsautter

fsautter

Could you please include in your reply to SG what the pixel dimensions are for your stills? And, are these with raw, jpg, or other format?

And, is this happening in just one project, or is it happening even in a new project?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 3:09 PM   in reply to fsautter

Two more quick questions, please:

How many of those PNG's do you have in the Project?

Is your nVidia driver the very latest for the GTX 560M? Check on the nVidia Web site, to determine that.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to fsautter

Fred,

Thank you for that information.

Only having a few PNG's (yours are not really that large), should not be an issue - ruled out, unless you have a very, very underpowered computer, or perhaps 5200RPM HDD's.

Having the latest nVidia video driver rules that out too.

I'll wait to see what Steve G., and ATR are thinking about.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 6:03 PM   in reply to fsautter

Fred,

That was very great news.

In reflecting back, was the onset of the issue the same as when you made changes in the video card or the video card driver version? How long ago was the video card driver changed form 320.49 to what you had when you posted the issue?

From what you wrote in the beginning, it sounded like you updated the video card driver only after the problem set in.

That was an interesting outcome.

Great troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to fsautter

Fred,

Very interesting, and thank you for pursuing this, and then reporting on the results.

Going back a few years, there were two nVidia drivers, in a row, with some issues, that showed up mainly in Adobe programs. By the time that we tracked down the issues, and came up with a fix, nVidia had an new driver, that handled all of the problems.

About a year ago, AMD/ATI released a whole series of drivers for their Radeon cards, that also caused issues - mostly with Adobe Photoshop. Then, the answer was to roll-back to an earlier driver, but they got that sorted out. Luckily, their next series (after a longer lag, than what we had seen in the past), they released a good driver.

While I espouse updating video drivers, I only do so, when I have issues. I might go 6 - 8 driver versions for my Quadro cards, before I update - Still, when there IS a problem, that is one of the first things that I look at.

Good work, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 8:33 PM   in reply to fsautter

Fred

Thanks.

That is important information to have. We are very pleased that you pursued the matter. You did a great job.

Any further developments, please let us know.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points