Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can I install both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro on my computer?

Sep 22, 2013 2:33 PM

Tags: #pro #premiere #elements #cs6

I use elements but I want to learn premiere pro so I just installed it but in the process elements was deleted.  I still need elements to finish projects I've started in elements.  Is there a way to have both programs on my computer and use both elements when I want and premiere pro when I want?

Is it possible to open an elements file using premiere pro CS6?  I tried but it didn't work.

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to SDP913

Welcome to the forum.

I am very surprised that the installation of PrPro did anything to PrE. I have several versions of PrPro on this laptop, along with PrE 4 and 11. No issues. All versions of Premiere (both Pro and Elements) install in separate folders.

Can you reinstall PrE?

Until recently, with PrPro CC, PrPro would generally Open PrE (PREL) Projects. The issues usually came if Themes/Instant Movies were used (PrPro does not understand those), or with 3rd party Transitions, or Effects, that PrPro does not have.

Are you on PC, or Mac?

Also, was your PrE version 11, or other?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 1:14 PM   in reply to SDP913

SDP913

Right now, I have several versions of Premiere Elements and at least one version of Premiere Pro on Windows 7 and 8 64 bit computer. None has disappeared.

I have never been able to open a Premiere Elements 10 Windows or other project.prel file in Premiere Pro.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

What version of PrPro do you have?

I have not Opened a PREL in PrPro, since PrPro CS 2 and PrE 4.0, and those worked just fine. I tried a PrE 9 PREL in PrPro CS 2, and got only an error message. At that time, I did not have a newer version of PrPro to try with. However, others had Opened PrE 9 PREL's with PrPro CS 4, IIRC.

A recent report on PrE 11 PREL's into PrPro CC, indicated that error messages were the only result, however, some are having issues Opening PrPro CS 6 PRPROJ files in PrPro CC, so there might be other issues there.

Just curious,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

At the moment, I have access to Premiere Pro CS2 Windows 7 64 bit on an infrequent basis. If I bring a Premiere Elements project.prel into Premiere Pro CS2, using the CS2 File Menu/Import

Premiere Elements 4 and 7 project.prel...yes, imports

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, 9, 10, and 11 project prel.....error.

I have not made an exhaustive study of this since I do not use Premiere Pro.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 6:21 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Thank you for that confirmation. Without all the versions, that you have, it is about what I have encountered. Based on my tests, plus the reports in the PrPro Forum, it appears that the PrE version, producing the PREL files, needs to be somewhat contemporary with the version of PrPro, up until PrPro CC, which seems to not Open even PrE 11 (those are contemporary) PREL files, under any circumstance.

As many of us have discovered, there is only limited compatibility, even within PrE, regarding Opening PREL's in later versions. That normally works fairly well, but is not fail-safe, and going backward, can be impossible to not so good. Similar happens with PrPro.

To quote Chief Dan George, "Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it does not."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

The variables can be overwhelming going from version to version of each of the two programs with various combinations of the versions. So, deciding between "the can do" and "the cannot do" and "cannot do because I have not figured it out yet" can be challenging.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 7:18 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I agree completely.

Without every version, over the last 10 years, of each program, it's almost impossible to tell a poster, "Yeah, that will work... "

It's the same with Premiere (not Elements, but the program before the "Pro" designation) and Premiere Pro. I inherited a big Project, originally started in Premiere 6.5 on a Mac. I had PrPro CS 2 on a PC, and all of the Project files Opened very well. IIRC, there were a half-dozen Transitions, that I did not have, but PrPro gave me the name of the Transition, plus the TimeCode of where it was used. All I had to do was change the missing one to Cross-Dissolve (do not know why the original editor deviated from that?), and all was good. However, when Adobe went with the Pro version, it was ONLY ported for the PC - no Mac support at all. Then, with PrPro CS 3, X-platform support WAS added. If a Mac user had an earlier Premiere, or Premiere Pro Project, before CS 3, they had to find a PrPro PC-user, with PrPro CS 3, who would Open that earlier file, then Save_As, so that they could Open it on their Macs, with later versions. Real "hands across the aisle" thing. We PC guys helped many Mac users to get them up and editing, but it was tough to explain all the ins-and-outs to them. Lot of confusion in those days. We do not see it that often now, as Premiere, up through version 6.5 are fading into history.

Also, to add to that confusion, Adobe shook things up, with the release of Premiere 7.0, also officially called Premiere Pro 7.0, but also Premiere Pro 1.0, at the same time. Most countries got only PrPro 1.0, but not all. Even some Adobe Staff folk do not realize that there were three, coincidental names for basically the same program. And, as that was the point of transition to PC-only, puzzle over what version a user really has. I have had a few state that there was NO Premiere Pro 7.0, and that it was ONLY Premiere 7.0, or Premiere Pro 1.0. I have seen the boxes that show that some folk DID get a program officially named Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0. Just a bit of arcane history.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points