Skip navigation
jarvigo
Currently Being Moderated

Code Editor Problems in Dreamweaver CC

Sep 22, 2013 3:57 PM

I decided to upgrade from DW CS6 to CC over the weekend, and since doing so --

I feel like I've lost 1/2 my hair due to what appears to be a *SIGNIFCANTLY* down-graded code editor.

#1.  Code Editor is Very Slow:

All of a sudden there are these long, slow lag times as I use the editor.

In fact, just doing simple things like using Arrow keys to move up or down a line of code causes pauses.

#2.  Curer / Arrow Key Problems:

I have been a programmer for over 15 years.  I stopped reaching for the mouse more than 10 years ago.

But now -- I can no longer use my arrow keys -- TO... DO... ANY ... THING -- It's, well... horrible.

As soon as I use the arrows keys for ANY type of movement -- the cursor disppears completely.

I can't see where I am cursoring from or to...

And I just want to know -- who would purposely add that kind of logic to DreamWeaver?

Why ?  Whyi would you make the cursor DISAPPEAR when the arrow keys are used?

It's like -- an odd form of "programme torture".

#3.  Ctrl Arrow Related Keyboard actions ARE GONE

Why?  I mean... Why?  WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT???

In using DW CC everthing that makes me a fast & furious highly capable programmer -- has been wiped out.

Yes -- I undersstand that there are alot of cool new, mobile device realted features, etc. etc...

But is there a reason you wish to punish the real old-school programmers?

I WRITE CODE -- That's what I do --

Now I can't Ctrl Arrow Left or Right to jump forward word by word,

I can Ctrl Shift Arrow R or L to highlight and change word-by-word code.

I wanna know -- and don't get me wrong -- I LOVE Adobe products and I they are open all day and all night on my work computer --

But still -- I WANN KNOW --

Did Adobe hire a "new team" of young, developers who have only used a mouse and Facebook all of their very short professional ilves?

Because as far as I am concerned the Code Editor in DW CC -- is, well -- UNUSABLE.

Best Regards,

XIMBALO

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to jarvigo

I understand you can use your CS6 along with your CC version

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to Ken Binney

I agree that we can install CS6, but it's unfortunate to have to do this in order to get basic features like keyboard navigation back. The same goes for Bridge. The new version has crippling defects or feature roll-backs that require installing the CS6 version, along with the consequences and complications that come with having both versions simultaneously.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 4:29 AM   in reply to jarvigo

If you use Dreamweaver as a pure code editor, I would strongly suggest looking into editors like Netbeans and Sublime. Dreamweaver is okay as a code editor, but there are far better and more efficient coding environments out there (and many, like Netbeans, are free).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Herbert2001

Some people don't want a pure code editor. Specifically, people in this forum want Dreamweaver. I don't think having a version of Dreamweaver with arrow keys that work at least as well as Microsoft's Notepad application is asking too much...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to jarvigo

I'm hoping it's just a bug or an oversight and not an intentional decision by Adobe to change the behaviour of the keyboard combinations. I've been digging through the keyboard shortcut settings, trying to fix it. I discovered that you can unmap CTRL-LEFT and CTRL-RIGHT from "Move to Beginning of Line" and "Move to End of Line." However, you can't map them back to "Move to next word" and "Move to Previous Word" because those options don't exist in the Code Editing section.

I'm just disappointed that I invested in CC but the main apps that I use are broken or degraded. Dreamweaver because of keyboard annoyances, Bridge because of mouse and multi-monitor issues, Photoshop CC because it doesn't integrate with Bridge CS6.

Until it's fixed, I guess I revert to CS6, pay my $50/month and keep an eye on my Creative Cloud app for an update.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to jarvigo

I am having this issue too!  I cannot code with the cursor disappearing when I press an arrow key to navigate though the code. I am downloading TextWrangler now as an alternative.  This is not why I purhcased the market leader in software. I want to use dreamweaver to code. Can we get a response from Adobe on this?  Is this being looking into?  Make the cursor show up when we press arrow keys?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 2:04 AM   in reply to chris212123122

Hi All,

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience

I would also like to apprise you guys that we are actually tracking these issues and investigating them on priority .

Also , be assured that we have taken note of these issues and are commited to get these issues fixed via an update ASAP

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 3:51 PM   in reply to vharis

Hi Vharis,

I bookmarked this thread and keep coming back every couple days to see if there are any updates. Even while editing this post I almost went back in my history due to a default shortcut in Firefox. I understand that this issue is probably pretty low on the priorities list but is there anywhere else we can check for updates?

Regards,

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to jarvigo

Hi all,

I have found the solution to this problem:  Use Adobe EdgeCode CC.  This new application for coding in HTML5/CSS is AMAZING!  It supports all the modern editor features for hand coding and plug ins to chrome allow visual instant updates to any changes in the code.

This is amazing.  I do all my editing in this app now.   HIGHLY recommended.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to Jeff Gietz

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for checking for updates. We understand your anxiety. However, the  date can be announced only by the product management team after the product has been certified for release. We will announce the release date on the forum as soon as the official announcement is made.

Thanks,

Preran

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 7:23 PM   in reply to Preran

Okay Preran, we'll wait it out.

Thanks for the update and thanks chris, maybe I'll check out Adobe EdgeCode CC in the meantime.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 11:50 PM   in reply to chris212123122

chris212123122 wrote:

Hi all,

I have found the solution to this problem:  Use Adobe EdgeCode CC.  This new application for coding in HTML5/CSS is AMAZING!  It supports all the modern editor features for hand coding and plug ins to chrome allow visual instant updates to any changes in the code.

This is amazing.  I do all my editing in this app now.   HIGHLY recommended.

Can it do code and class refactoring across all files in both html, css, and php?

Does it have a full javascript and php debugger that allows you to set breakpoints, and so on?

Is local versioning built-in? And what about SVN, etc.? With visual version comparison? And the option to wind back single changes from a week ago on a per case basis?

Does it support Less? Does it support all the popular frameworks for javascript and php?

Does it validate your html while you code?

What about php support?

Is Emmet supported for it? http://emmet.io/

How fast is it with large files?

I am not saying it does not sound quite interesting, but it looks very rough around the edges - in terms of features. With NetBeans I also get visual instant updates in Chrome with the connect plugin. And realtime instant css re-styling that is reflected in Chrome. Netbeans even includes live css style panels that even allow me to change the style attributes of elements I selected in Chrome without having to open the actual css code - again, very useful, and beyond EdgeCode.

It's not like EdgeCode's Chrome connection is bringing a new feature to the table.

Netbeans is a powerful full-out IDE, and free at that, with a proven track record. EdgeCode requires a CC subscription. What happens if I stop paying upkeep - will it stop functioning like the other apps?

With so many other well-developed and flexible code editors and IDEs out there I wonder what makes EdgeCode stand out from the crowd. A cool looking kuler-based colour picker is nice eye candy, but what about power features? I do understand this is still merely a preview product - we've seen these before from Adobe, and many of these failed to see real long-term support by Adobe, and were dropped. Why would I invest time in an unproven editor by a company that is known to drop support at a shareholder's whim?

And why would Adobe develop this product while they have Dreamweaver? Is EdgeCode going to be its future replacement? Or is it "only" going to support html, css, and javascript?

Sorry to be a bit of a party pooper, but I have many doubts and questions about yet another "Adobe Original" product that seems initially quite promising - but this market segment is so saturated with truly outstanding competing products (both free and commercial - which includes Dreamweaver), and looking at Adobe's track record I would not invest my time in this at the moment. Perhaps in a year or two I'll look back at this post and think "whatever happened to that EdgeCode tool?", and discover that Adobe actually built a very efficient and powerful tool for coding. I highly doubt that, however (though I would love to see me proven wrong).

I just do not understand why they would not add this "amazing" functionality to Dreamweaver, or consolidate all their web products into a coherent strategy. Why invest in yet another similar product, and waste time, skill, and money on this? Adobe's web product line is only fragmenting more and more - put the features of Dreamweaver, the Edge products, and Muse in one kick-*** updated web dev application already.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 4:49 AM   in reply to Herbert2001

Edge Code is based on Brackets < http://html.adobe.com/opensource/ >, which is open source (free) and I really would like to switch if it works well for me. However, the main reason I still use  Dreamweaver is the built-in FTP client with synch feature...! Brackets does not have FTP, which makes me hesitant to switch...

(I did try NetBeans but I didn't feel good using it so I abandoned it.)

--

Kenneth Kawamoto

http://www.materiaprima.co.uk/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 10:55 PM   in reply to Preran

I'm just adding to this thread my eager anticipation of the update to fix this ridiculous roll-back of standard functionality/behaviour in the code editor.  I echo jarvico's disbelief that such changes could make it into a release version as this has been accepted coding functionality forever as far as I'm concerned.

There is nothing more disturbing than installing an update on a program you have been using for over a decade to find that the most fundamental functionality that enables efficient coding is gone!  It's like loosing one of your fingers (and an eyeball, with the lack of a visible cursor)

Do you guys not comprehend how many people use, and RELY on your software to make a living?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to idsdi

Wondering what's going on with this, and whether Adobe is still tracking this issue. (I suspect the elimination of common keyboard shortcuts is not a bug but a deliberate decision.)

I'm also really enjoying being able to use CTRL SHIFT ARROW in this comment editor--it's like remembering what it was like to be young and agile again . . .

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to jmpagano

jmpagano wrote:

I'm also really enjoying being able to use CTRL SHIFT ARROW in this comment editor--it's like remembering what it was like to be young and agile again . . .

They didn't eliminate them, they just messed them up (I think it was probably an accident).

They swapped the Control key for Alt. They can be fixed in the Keyboard Shortcuts under Code Editing.

The ones you are looking for are "Move Word Right" and "Move Word Left" need to be switched with "Move to start of current line" and "Move to end of current line"

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 26, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Yep. I'm bookmarking this too. Wanna know when can be fixed because mine, it's acting weird each time I want to change. That window pop-up each time I click at any place in the window. How can I change it???

2013-11-27_091659.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 1, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to jarvigo

I'm on the same boat waiting for an update to fix the cursor problem when using the arrow keys. I was able to revert the Ctrl + Arrow Sequence to the standard functionality without problem using the Keyboards Shortcuts menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 2, 2013 6:28 AM   in reply to Jon Fritz II

Thanks for pointers on this, Jon and Akhi Joe.

Two things for people finding themselves here, since my experience was different from what Jon described:

1. In order to assign the "expected" shortcuts (CTRL+Right, CTRL+Left, etc), I first had to unassign them from the commands Adobe assigned them to by default. Just try it out and the dialog box will provide the necessary prompts.

2. Note that for the shortcuts in question, I also had to unassign them from the Document Editing set. It seems it was okay for Adobe to assign the same shortcut to actions in different views, but not us. Strange.

#2 also indicates just how messed up this all is. It appears Adobe has imposed one set of text editing shortcuts for Document Editing (the "expected" set) and one for Code Editing (with ALT replacing CTRL). Now (for me) to change the set for Code Editing I also had to eliminate the shortcuts for Document Editing.

This is not a big issue for me since I don't use Design view (I'm assuming that's where the Document Editing shortcuts apply). The big issue is that Adobe seems to be treating Code Editing shortcuts and Document Editing shortcuts as both separate and connected--separate when the defaults are applied and connected when you attempt to customize. The chances of this type of thing getting fixed quickly is to me (as a product manager) low.

Thanks again!

Joseph

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to jmpagano

Hi ,

We are happy to inform you that DW's latest update is made available today. This update has a fix for the cursor blinking issues  Please install & let us know your thoughts

Code View performance improvements

#

The following bugs are fixed to improve the Dreamweaver performance in Code View:

#

• Typing gets progressively slow as the number of lines of code increases.
    • Cursor (IP) disappears while typing and navigating in Code View.
    • Dreamweaver Crashes on closing a tag by entering </ in Code View.
    • Change the default keyboard shortcut for CTRL+LEFT to ALT+LEFT and CTRL+RIGHT to ALT+RIGHT and vice-versa.
    • On Mac 10.9, Dreamweaver crashes while selecting a file in File Dialog for Insert Image.
    • Dreamweaver displays a syntax error even if the PHP code is valid.

Also have a look at

What's New in Dreamweaver 13.2: http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/whats-new-dreamweaver-13-2.ht ml

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 9:54 AM   in reply to vharis

I've upgraded to DW CC Revision 13.2 from DW 5.5 but don't get Edit Tag or Insert Tag on my right click menu for any tag whether HTML or CF. 

I've added the .cfm extension to my tag editor preferences, and all the CF tags are present in the Tag Library. 

The screen grab below is from DW 5.5.  How do I get the same pop-up Tag Editor in DW CC, or is it gone for good?

Message was edited by: RonGruner

TagEditor_missing_in_DWCC.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 10:51 AM   in reply to RonGruner

It's best to start new topics rather than post onto an old non-related issue.

The Tag Editor function has been removed. Most of what was in it is deprecated or obsolete as of HTML5 (vspace, hspace, border, etc). Those functions are now controlled by CSS and are available in the CSS Designer.

http://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/changes-insert-options-creati ve-cloud.html#main-pars_text

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points