Skip navigation
duglst
Currently Being Moderated

How to restore sidecar data???

Sep 22, 2013 4:42 PM

I accidentally erased about 50 of my best photos of this year. I quickly realized my error and restored them from my recycle folder and then I Imported them. Now I can access them but they don't have the editing, keywords or rating info attached. They are all .CR2 files. I think this info should still be in the LR Backup folder. How can I restore this data? I especially don't want to have to re-edit all of these photos.

Windows 7

LR 5.1

Thanks,

Doug

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 22, 2013 7:24 PM   in reply to duglst

If you hadn't saved metadata (in xmp) then the only possible place those edits could be is in a backup catalog. If you have xmp sidecars somewhere (recycle bin?, backup??), just place them next to the CR2 files (with same base filename) and do "Metadata -> Read..." from library module.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to duglst

If XMP files are not in your backup folder, then they're not there. Administrator won't help..

In that case, the only chance you have of recovering your edits and keywords on these photos is to find a recent backup of your catalog file that still contains the edits and keywords. If you have such a backup of your catalog file, then we can give further instructions on how to move this information to your current catalog file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

How do I get the xmp files out of the Backup folder?

They're not in the catalog backup folder. *IF* you saved metadata then at that time you would have had xmp sidecar files adjacent to your CR2 files. It's starting to sound like you never saved metadata (you need to do it manually using the Metadata menu -> Save Metadata to Files, or Ctrl/Cmd-S). Another possibility is for xmp to be saved automatically, but you'd need to check the option "Automatically write changes into XMP" in catalog settings (it's unchecked by default). If you didn't do one of those things, then you never saved metadata (in xmp sidecars). If this be the case, and no backup catalog contains your edits, then you are S.O.L. - in the future:

* backup catalog periodically

* save (xmp) metadata between catalog backups.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

in the future:

* backup catalog periodically

* save (xmp) metadata between catalog backups.

And backup your original image files as well.....Lightroom doesn't do that, it's a user responsibility. Plenty of good free incremental backup utilities available.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to duglst

Now I see why the metadata is missing but I still don't understand why I can't recover my xmp files.

You can't recover XMP files, because Lightroom never created them. You never instructed Lightroom to create them. The XMP Files don't exist.

My LR Catalog backs up automatically once per month and I have several of those backups.

So, if you double-click on the most recent catalog backup, are the photos present with edits and other metadata?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

"Automatically write changes..." wasn't checked but it is now. I'm surprised this isn't checked by default.

Lots of people do like that option (I am not one of them).

duglst wrote:

I still don't understand why I can't recover my xmp files.

Anyway, I guess you get by now - you never had xmp files to recover, and you can't restore information from files which don't exist, and never did...

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

Since I never had xmp files, apparently, where is the edit info stored? Also, what was "LR Backup" backing up?

Answer to both - the catalog (.lrcat file).

But all info about photos (e.g. develop settings and metadata) is immediately and permanently purged from the catalog when photos are deleted. Same is NOT true of xmp (it would have persisted in the photo and/or sidecar files which you pulled from the recycle bin), which is one reason it can save your hide sometimes .

~R.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:20 PM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

Is there a way to generate XMP files retroactively?

If by retroactively, you mean prior to your deleting from catalog and losing edits, then no. - but nice try .

~R.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:33 PM   in reply to duglst

Sorry. In that case - sure: just (select photos and) press Ctrl-S, or use the Metadata menu -> Save Metadata to File(s).

~R.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

Apparently the auto save to xmp didnt transfer to LR 5.0.

Worth reporting as a bug IMO, if hasn't been reported yet:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop_lightroom

duglst wrote:

However, I can't seem to reassociate the xmp data with the cr2 files. When I click on Library>Metadata>Read, nothing changes.

Indeed, Lr5 should be able to read the xmp of all previous versions. Sounds like another bug. But before reporting it, consider posting a raw+xmp sample for me to corroborate (if the base filenames are the same, no reassociation should be required, base filename is the sole basis for association).

Use service like yousendit.com or dropbox, or send to me privately.

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

Does this mean they are empty?

No, it just means they're small (i.e. not very many locals or snapshots...).

Do send me one, I might not need the raw that goes with it.

R

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to duglst

Right - pm is just a way to get the ball rolling without posting email addresses in public forum. no prob - check your inbox..

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 1:45 PM   in reply to duglst

The raw may not help.

But somehow we need to figure out what’s going wrong for you (I had no problem using the xmp file).

Do you have an metadata status icon displayed? If not, turn them on in Lr prefs.

library_view_options__metadata_status.gif

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 2:36 PM   in reply to duglst

Sorry, that last reply was supposed to be to you not the forum.

library_view_options__metadata_status.gif

Anyway, you can also check metadata status in the metadata panel (right side in Library module), if it's there.

To review: the xmp file worked for me in Lr5.2, so if it's not working for you, you may need to do some investigation and report...

R

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

When I click on Metadata>Read metadat from file, nothing changes.

At the risk of offending, are you sure you had the correct photos selected? (Lr5 has/had a photo selection bug which may be biting you).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

Are you asking if I am sure I am selecting a file that has an associated xmp file?

More specifically, I was asking if Lightroom and you agreed on which file was selected before doing the metadata read. There was a time when Lr5 would target other photos than those appearing to be selected, due to a nasty bug. Some people claim they still have the bug, but I haven't noticed it in Lr5.2 final release.

Anyway, if the problem is not operator error, and the proper photo(s) were selected before doing the metadata read, then it sounds like your catalog or your Lr is hosed...

One thing to try:

Create a new catalog and import only 1 photo - can you import / read metadata and recover edits with such a new catalog?

Rob.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to duglst

"The pic looks the same. If LR was opening a wrong xmp file the  selected photo would be cropped poorly etc. Also, when I go to the  Develop> History, it only shows that it was imported. There is no  other history."

History is stored in the Catalog not in the XMP. As far as I am concerned if you are using LR as your principal program for making edits to your raw files then there is rearly no need to write to XMP.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to duglst

Hmm - not catalog, not Lr (same in CS5). I'm stumped too.

Did you try (note: save original xmp first) saving xmp from Lr, then changing something, then reading the freshly saved xmp back? If that works, then it sounds like there is something Lr/ACR is no liking about those xmp files - dunno what, yet. If that doesn't work either, then it's something else.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

DdeGannes wrote:

no need to write to XMP.

The xmp, if he can figure out how to READ it, will be saving his arse from inadvertent deletion. Yes, a backup catalog would do it too, but then you lose everything you did since last backup (except what you have in xmp I mean ). Plus, in order for a backup catalog to have settings for the inadvertently deleted photos, it would have to have been backed up before deletion, not after.

To be clear: the real issue here is that the xmp is broken. The OP did save xmp, just for this sort of rainy day, and now can't read it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I do not wish to divert this thread from its focus. However If you are using LR 4 and LR 5 on your system with the same original raw and tiff/jpeg files is there a way to manage the xmp data i.e will the xmp data from LR 4 and LR 5 be stored seperately?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 7:01 PM   in reply to duglst

duglst wrote:

When you got my xmp data to affect one of your

photos, what did you do? Store the xmp file next to a cr2 file and then click

on Metadata>Read Metadata from file?

Yep - precisely. - I also renamed the xmp file so it matched the cr2 file, and selected the cr2 file in Lightroom before the read.

duglst wrote:

If that is all you did and it works for

you I don’t know what else to try...

Did you check file properties / permissions - maybe somehow the restored xmp files are not readable by Lr.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 6:58 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

xmp sidecars are adjacent to photo files regardless of which catalog(s) they're in.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Are you saying there are different sidecars for different catalogs?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 10:19 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

DdeGannes wrote:

Are you saying there are different sidecars for different catalogs?

"sidecar" meaning like motorcycle sidecars - they follow alongside, attached to, the corresponding photo files, regardless of catalog they're in.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points