Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 12 Coming "Soon" ???

Sep 23, 2013 9:06 AM

PC World has a 9-23-13 review of Photoshop Elements 12... which should mean that both it and Premiere Elements 12 will be released "soon"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2049093/photoshop-elements-12-review-mo bile-albums-and-content-aware-tools-dominate-new-release.html

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 23, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T. Smith

Thanks. Very interesting since I checked the "usual places" and no sign of the releases, most importantly in the Adobe downloads.

Curious how that review information got released.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Curious how that review information got released.

Pure speculation, but I would say that PrE 12 is right on the cusp - about to be released. Elsewhere, I had guessed on about Oct 10 - 11, so looks like I am wrong on that front.

I have also been checking "the usual suspects," anticipating some hints - and maybe this is the first one?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Often the date that the new product is available at the retailer level is in October. That is what might have caught your recollection.

The ordering from Adobe and the availability of its tryout should be about now.

I find it unprecedented that a detailed review of the new releases is out before the release. Worse yet if this is a review from a beta tester.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T.,

Thanks for that link. Looks like Adobe is positioning PsE 12 squarely toward "social media," which is probably where/how most users will employ it.

Will be interesting to see how much of the "Content Aware" functionality comes in, from Photoshop - PsE's "big brother."

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Still more speculation, but I would anticipate that some of the beta-testers ARE "trusted" reviewers, and if so, are bound by an NDA. If they have produced and released the reviews, then I would infer two things: they have been released from their NDA and the public unveiling is very near at hand.

Some authors have also probably been in the beta-testing program, and are busy typing now, to get their books to publishers to coincide with the release. With the one-year life span of the Elements programs, hitting the bookstore shelves, coincidental with the program release, can spell more sales/income.

Again, just speculating, based on history and observations.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

The Photoshop Elements 12 information that appeared before the release of product might be of interest to Premiere Elements users as well since the author of the review talks about Elements Organizer 12 which should be the same component of Premiere Elements 12 and Photoshop Elements 12.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I agree completely.

Also, in PrPro, Content Aware functions have been creeping in from Photoshop, and this has been especially true in the PrPro CC versions. Maybe a bit of that will filter into PrE, as well?

We will see - and probably sooner, rather than later.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

I feel that many overlook the perks of Elements Organizer in Premiere Elements 11 and some earlier versions for certain  Create and Share opportunities. Typically, many see the words Elements Organizer and automatic think Photoshop Elements.

Premiere Elements 11 is a standalone program that comes with an Elements Organizer.

So, you do not need Photoshop Elements 11 to have an Elements Organizer.

(Aside, when Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere Elements 11 are on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer.)

Details on this for Elements versions earlier than 11 will be supplied on request

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:58 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

You have me confused here. I am not sure where the statements about Elements Organizer are coming from. Did I mis-type something above?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Here is the story.

John T. Smith's original link (on Photoshop Elements 12) was the only post to which I was commenting on and referencing back to. And, since this is the Premiere Elements Forum, I wanted to point out the relevance of some aspects of that article to the Premiere Elements user. During my posting, I had not seen that SG is also involved in Elements 12 details before the actual release of the programs.

My point about John T. Smith's link (which dealt with Photoshop Elements 12 Editor and Organizer) was that its content were also of interest to Premiere Elements 12 users since the Elements Organizer 12 accessed from Photoshop Elements 10 is expected to be the same as the Elements Organzier 12 accessed from Premiere Elements.

You did not mis-type, just misread or did not read what I wrote.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Thank you for that clarification. I do agree, and especially about the Elements Organizer.

Besides Steve's FAQ info and the Muvipix postings, I expect to see other reviews, including the full Elements Family.

I just checked Adobe.com, and nothing new up there yet, but I did notice that a bit of maintenance is going on there - maybe some new pages very soon?

I had expected ProDesignTools to have some updates, but their site is still focused on the CC products (been that way for at least a week now). Often, I get little "previews" from them, but nothing so far. They have been hitting the release dates for PrE, for at least the last two versions now, so do have a "conduit" to Adobe. They do the same thing with regard to Ps and PrPro.

With the activity, I think that something will hit very, very soon.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Or, later TODAY?

I doubt that many are really up and running, at the Official Adobe Corporate Compound yet, as Mondays always mean 4 cups of coffee, before anything meaningful gets done. Also, there are probably a bunch of early morning meetings going on - like how's Ellison doing in the America's Cup?

After lunch (PDT), we might yet see some activity - or maybe not?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Today is technically the release date for the software. And, once it's out to the press, the announcement is more or less official. But I'll refrain from any further details until Adobe or someone from the press specifically mentions Premiere Elements.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Still no official word, but then it's lunchtime at the Adobe Cafeteria, so maybe something this afternoon - unless they all ate too much (though it is NOT Maine Lobster Friday), and are lethargic?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:19 PM   in reply to John T Smith

John,

Good news. It is a little after midnight here on east coast USA and the tryouts for Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 are released.

My DSL is slow so the downloads for both will take a few hours.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 23, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Hi John, and all,

Yup! It's available now!

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-premiere-elements.html

Regards

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to Pete.Green

You can see a list of the new features as well as a link to my review in our FAQs:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1302843?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to Pete.Green

Pete Green

I need your help in sorting through some confusion regarding Photoshop Elements as a 64 bit versus a 32 bit application.

And, I have read your helpful FAQ in the Photoshop Elements Forum here on Photoshop Elements 12

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1302663?tstart=0

But, your FAQ does not seem to go to that point.

One might question why I question you here in the Premiere Elements Forum instead of the Photoshop Elements Forum. Because of the integration between the two, I feel comfortable in asking here and we may be dealing with a new feature in the now current version.

I have found my answer for 1/2 the equation. When I downloaded and installed Photoshop Elements 12 on Windows 7 64 bit and used Process Explorer Sysinternals, Photoshop Elements 12 was shown to be a 32 bit application running in my Windows 7 64 bit computer (presumed in a 32 bit compatibility mode); whereas, Premiere Elements 12 on that operating system was classed as 64 bit as would be expected. There are some reports out there that would indicate that Photoshop Elements 12 Mac is a genuine 64 bit application on Mac 64 bit. Is that correct? Or is the Tech Spec just saying that Photoshop Elements 12 is compatible with/requires 64 bit Mac rather than saying that Photoshop Elements 12 is a 64 bit application when running in 64 bit Mac?

I will sneak in one related question if I might. Is Photoshop Elements 12 and some other earlier versions set up to have multiple .exe files so that the program gains a sort of 64 bit perk via virtual memory?

Thanks for whatever information you can share on this.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John and all,

This morning, I have started my annual  "First Look" and "Daily Discoveries" blog posts for Premiere Elements 12. This is the first year that they are appearing in a blog setting. Earlier ones were posted at another web site that I no longer visit.

As usual these reports will be very comprehensive and detailed on new and old and hopefully will be helpful and very easy to read.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-first-online-details.html

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/09/pe12-daily-discoveries.html

One of the early "great news" especially for the disc menus people will be the finding that Premiere Elements 12 will allow for 99 scene markers. The 25 limit of the prior version is gone. But, beware of the 100th one. You will get a limit pop up. Someone at Adobe apparently forgot to change the number in the message since the message states ...no more than 25. To the contrary, you get all those 99 on the appropriate scene menu pages before and after that message pops up. For those interested in really high resolution, enter 3840 x 2160 to step beyond 1920 x 1080 in some instances.

Back to the First Look.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Thank you for that info. Good news indeed, even with the error in the pop-up. I still puzzle over that limit of 25, but if it is now history, the good news is welcome.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I started with 9.  I upgraded to 10, and then 11.  I've recieved an enormous amount of training and help for all three versions here. 

So far, I don't see any compelling reasons to upgrade to 12.  There does not appear to be enough reward for the work and time needed to install an upgrade.

I keep PE and PrE versions matched and use a PC.  Adobe did not include a Windows 64 bit version with PE12.   That might have tipped the scales for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Are you planning on taking a look first hand of the Premiere Elements 12 Windows, specially what has taken place under the Premiere Elements 12 Audio Tab (which was formerly the Premiere Elements 11 Music Tab.)?

In view of our recent discussions on SmartSound soundtracks, Sonicfire Pro, and the like, I think that would take us through many lively post exchanges. My reply to our recent exchanges on the version 11 and early SmartSound situation may be delayed a little, but I will get to it as soon as possible and tie it into version 12 set up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I will wait for the "boxed set" to begin shipping, to get the physical media (unless that delivery method has been dropped). As soon as Adobe offers that option, I will be on it.

I have a new laptop, with no prior versions of PrE on it, and will install there, to check things out in detail.

In the meantime, I will be reading your Blogposts, as well as Steve's observations, to more easily get up to speed. It also seems that Steve's PrE 12 book is in print, so will head to Amazon, to get that shipped too.

More to come,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Just went to Amazon, and Steve's PrE 12 book is not yet shipping, but I am now on the Notify Me list for it.

I did notice that, so far, only the download for PrE 12 is available from them. Do not know if the physical media will be just a bit longer, or if that has been dropped.

Going back a bit, in Premiere Pro CS 6, Adobe announced that they were dropping the physical media for that program, so maybe download will be the only way to go with PrE 12 - time will tell.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

I did notice that, so far, only the download for PrE 12 is available from them. Do not know if the physical media will be just a bit longer, or if that has been dropped.

Hunt

My Amazon page says I can get the boxed set by Thursday....

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

Thank you. Either I went there, before the page was updated, or just missed the "boxed set."

Appreciated, and glad to see that physical will still be available. Was worried that Adobe had curtailed that delivery for the Elements sets, as well as PrPro.

Appreciated,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Looking over the What's New, I see two items (Steve G. mentioned both in his First Look post):

Motion Tracking (Improved)

Adjustment Layers (been around PrPro for a few versions now, and wonderful)

Thanks for your Blogposts. Always appreciated.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

This afternoon I was going to purchase the Photoshop Elements 12 Premiere Elements 12 boxed version from Adobe when I saw your post. I never for a moment considered the possibility that Adobe would not offer a boxed alternative for purchase.

I found no choice for boxed purchase at Adobe online sales. ONLY download. A Chat rep stated that boxed is no longer an available choice. It was left unclear whether or not a boxed version of Photoshop Elements 12 Premiere Elements 12 exists or will exist.

This news and the Content by download only dealt a serious blow to my thinking in the direction of Premiere Elements moving forward. As you say time will tell..

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Since I posted I did find another online retailer who is selling the boxed Photoshop Elements 12 Premiere Elements 12 (better deal). So, I will spend my time for now with the tryout for 30 days, making any purchasing decisions moving forward.

As for the new features, looking forward to a first hand look. The SG's video tutorial made me wonder about "improved" for Motion Tracking. Two places for cautious thinking on this were his suggestion for a good color contrast between object tracked and the surroundings plus the speech bubble's demo'd path seeming to lose track of the object.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

My fear was prompted by Adobe's decision to no longer offer PrPro CS 6 on physical media, but ONLY via download. Now, that IS a different program, but might point to a decision on Adobe's part. The decision to NOT offer physical media, was released about a year ago, before the full roll-out of Adobe PrPro CC (Creative Cloud). At least PrE and PsE have not gone to a CC model - yet. Not sure if that will be implemented come PrE 13, but we have a year with PrE 12, without a CC licensing model.

Bill's screen-cap from Amazon seems to indicate that there will be physical media, in the near future, or that Amazon just has it wrong. I had not been able to find the page that appears in his post, but admit that I was on Amazon very early this AM, so it might not yet have been added.

If there is no physical media, then I will go with the download, but will admit that this will be the first Adobe program, that I have used a download, except for older beta-testing of soon to be released programs - that goes back to Ps 2.5 almost two decades ago - I always want my physical media, and still have every diskette or disc, for every Adobe program. Things might well change for me, as of Elements 12.

I will also buy the PsE 12 version, though I use Ps (the "big brother") just to explore the capabilities of that program. I have never had a version of that, but as I now spend more time testing and exploring Adobe software, rather than making a living with it, it's time for me to go deeper and look closely at the power of PsE and its interface with PrE, plus Elements Organizer, which I have never really used (having had Adobe Bridge for many versions). So very much that I just do not know.

Thanks for the info from Adobe Chat.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

ATR,

I see that you have found the physical media. Was typing, while you were posting.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

B&H has the boxed combo set of PE and PrE listed at $140 with shipping starting on September 30. 

I don't think Adjustment Layers and Motion Tracking are going to pry $140 from my wallet!

Bill

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points