Skip navigation
99jon 12,806 posts
Jan 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

PSE12 - First Look

Sep 24, 2013 3:19 AM

Tags: #new #pse12 #elements12

PSE12

Organizer gets mobile albums to sync your photos with iPhone, iPad, other devices and desktop. Adobe obviously wants users to subscribe to Revel but a free Revel account gives 50 uploads per month after one unlimited single upload. There is also a free iOS Revel app for editing on the go.

PSE12mobile.png

Android devices click here for video

Places and Event tags can now be shown in the Tags/Info panel (similar to People in PSE11) making drag and drop marking of images much easier from one place.

Quick Edit gets three new buttons (bottom right) for applying Effects, Textures, and Frames in an Instagram-style treatment with a single-click.

PES12guided.png

In Guided mode you’ll find three new step-by-step techniques: Zoom Burst Effect (for simulating motion), Puzzle Effect (for creating a puzzle out of your photo), and Restore Old Photo. That last one walks you through a complicated series of tasks including cropping, using the Spot Healing Brush, the Healing Brush, Clone Stamp tools, Dust Removal (which triggers the Dust & Scratches filter), Auto Levels, Auto Contrast, Auto Color Correction, conversion to black-and-white, and sharpening.

PSE12GuidedPuzzel.png

Expert Mode gets content aware move, similar to the full Photoshop.

PSE12CAmove.png

Under the Enhance menu, you’ll find a new Auto Smart Tone feature for automatic lighting and contrast corrections. Using a unique, on-image interface, you can fine-tune the auto-corrections by clicking and dragging a joystick controller. Over time it learns to remember a users preferences.

PSE12AStone.png

A new Pet Eye tool for correcting those yellow eyes, that works on animals in a similar way to the red-eye tool for humans.

The File menu is more intuitive for raw editing with a new ‘Open in Camera Raw’ command for opening supported file formats in the Camera Raw plug-in.

Finally you can now delete layers by pressing the Delete key on your keyboard.

Adobe has introduced 64-bit support on Macs, to allow better use of the system’s built-in memory, and should enable faster editing with larger file-sizes. Windows has had 64-bit support, for some time for video editing in Premiere Elements, but not as far as I can see for Photoshop Elements this time. Windows XP users should check limitations in the tech specs.

If you regularly shoot stills and video, the combo PSE12/PRE12 remains best value as a new purchase or upgrade.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2013 5:58 AM   in reply to 99jon

Color Variations and the Lighting Effects Filter are also gone.

There's also an option to use content aware fill for the edges when using the Straighten tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to 99jon

Yeah, the Revel thing is very much a work in progress at this point.

I should mention that the installation process for PSE 12 is a little different than for previous versions. You  must create an Adobe ID (that isn't optional anymore) and you must be connected to the internet during installation. Although PSE isn't a cloud app and doesn't need you to stay connected to the internet (except that most of the stuff in the graphics panel is still stored online and needs to be downloaded for first use), you do have to stay logged into your Adobe ID. You deactivate PSE 12 by logging out.

Oh, and Revel users can use a different adobe ID for revel than for PSE if they want.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ivan David
    135 posts
    Jun 9, 2010
    Sep 24, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

99jon and Barbara,

This thread is a pretty awesome summary of the new stuff in PSE 12. Thank you.

Please allow me to plug in my What's New document too: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/whats-new.html.

Cheers,

David

PS: Each time I read this thread, I kept going 'Woof, woof!' Hmm... I wonder why.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Barbara,

You said "You  must create an Adobe ID (that isn't optional anymore) and you must be connected to the internet during installation. Although PSE isn't a cloud app and doesn't need you to stay connected to the internet (except that most of the stuff in the graphics panel is still stored online and needs to be downloaded for first use), you do have to stay logged into your Adobe ID"

I am a little confused, does this mean I must be connected to the Internet each time I want to use Photoshop Elements 12, since I have to stay logged into your Adobe ID?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 7:45 PM   in reply to Dave Knarr

No, basically it means that creating an adobe ID is part of the activation process. After the first time you use PSE you can stay offline permanently, if you don't care about access to revel or the stuff in the graphics panel.

|
    Mark as:
  • Ivan David
    135 posts
    Jun 9, 2010
    Sep 24, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Yes, Barbara's right. I would add that in addition to not having the Revel functionality, you won't be able to take advantage of the new Share feature in Editor.

Cheers,

David

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)