Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Simple but brillent idea

Oct 14, 2013 5:17 PM

Tags: #note #idea

I'm in the midst of a a slight post production overload have been at desk for nearly 24 hours, so appoligise if this comes out wrong, but I think you should add a simple basic text editor or note taker to premiare, I have thought it before years ago when I was using another system and just came back tome then while I was taking notes on the timecode and also earlyer today doing some music>fps maths, it would be great if you had notes as an item in your project so did not have to go into note app or a text editor or write on paper, just stay in premiare, like a scratch pad. and it stays with your project, hell you can cut and paste notes from client on project, so you can access them from inside. also a simple calculator app wouldn't go astray. but surely the code would be fairly simple to add notes in. Just an idea, I am loving the currently workflow with CC don't get me wrong. I just thought it would be something that would actually be a relitevly simple tool to implement and quite handy for editors to use.

I have being a Beta testa on a few projects so I know the bang for buck battle developers have to face, I think thish would add great bang for buck, incorporate it up and down the suite so you can leave your thoughts and ideas with a project as it changes hands.... 

Jim

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to vj jim

You do know about markers, right? You can use them for leaving notes at specific times on the timeline. You can also put notes about clips in the project panel. There are several columns for different kinds of notes. Have fun. :) Cheers Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to vj jim

As I said, you can use either of the methods I mentioned to leave yourself notes. They don't have to be time-code specific or clip specific. If you make a habit of putting a marker at the beginning of a sequence you can access it quickly and easily to check it out or to modify it.

..but hey, if you want to use your text files, then include them in your project! Drag the text file and drop it in the Project Tab as if it were a clip. You can double-click on it to open it in your favourite text editor and have at it.

Be creative.

Cheers

Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to vj jim

Sigh. I am a developer. Your idea is neither difficult to understand nor "brillent".

If I'm working on a project and I get a call from a client about a different project, it's far quicker and more convenient to launch a simple text file than to wait in frustration for PPro to load an entire project so that I can make a simple note inside the project.

Cheers

Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to vj jim

vj jim wrote:

I have being using your text file in the project idea and it actually is fairly handy, espeshually when jumping around between the creative suite

I'm glad that's working out for you. It really is a simple solution to keeping notes associated with a project.

Have a good one.

Cheers

Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to vj jim

FWIW

I am on a PC and use 'Sticky Notes'.

Simple and efficient.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 10:32 PM   in reply to Eddie Lotter

merely adding a TXT file to a project wouldn't suddenly make it open in Premiere Pro, it remains a regular file on disc. You can open it however you want, whenever you want.

vj jim is asking for something inside a PP panel which can display and edit the contents of text files, which seems a perfectly reasonable request (and not too hard to implement with plugins if anyone's in the mood to, it's basically just a multi-line input field with a couple of buttons for save etc.). Yes you can double-click to open the asset an external editor, but if screen real estate is at a premium a docked panel may well be preferred.

Eddie Lotter wrote:

... it's far quicker and more convenient to launch a simple text file than to wait in frustration for PPro to load an entire project so that I can make a simple note inside the project.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to shooternz

I use the hardware version -- Post It Notes around the keyboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to Peru Bob

>

<

Luddite! 

Couple of weeks ago the only tool I had at my displosal was my iPhone. Voice memos and Siri transcribed to Notes. Way cool but not a no-brainer.

I've since tried using the iPad in the same fasion since it's always near the edit bench. You need to change settings so it's never going to sleep and that requires AC mains.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Dave Merchant wrote:

merely adding a TXT file to a project wouldn't suddenly make it open in Premiere Pro, it remains a regular file on disc. You can open it however you want, whenever you want.

Yes, we know, which is why Jim came back to say this is a reasonable work around to having a text editor in PPro.

My point is that if the notes are embedded in the project file (as opposed to an external text file) then one would have to open the project to access the notes. This isn't a problem for small projects that open quickly, but the larger the project the longer the wait.

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Cheers

Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to Peru Bob

Peru Bob wrote:

...or around the monitors, like sunflowers.

Cheers
    Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to Eddie Lotter

Well I'll be darned. My old friend Eddie hanging out around here again?

Haven't seen much of you since I came back last year. Nice to see you around.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Hey Steven, good to see you too.

I post mainly in the SDK sub-forum, I'm not sure how this thread migrated here.

Cheers
    Eddie

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to Eddie Lotter

Hey Eddie, I moved it over.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 18, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Yes, it's GREAT to see Eddie around.

I had to check dates, to make sure that his responses were not from "way back when."

Welcome back Eddie!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points