Skip navigation
The_CrY
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with Level Adjustment Layer in PSE7

Sep 24, 2013 4:09 AM

Tags: #adjustment_layer #levels #photoshop_elements_7 #pse_7

Hi,

I have a problem with the level adjustment layer in PSE 7.0. I made this picture which shows exactly the way I want in PSD format, but when I save it to JPG all the adjustment layers are lost. I have tried to achieve the same result using simple Enhance >>Adjustments >> Levels, but I can't get the same result with the same settings as with the Adjustment Layer.

How can I solve this?

I saw in some tutorial that it might help to add a new layer above the adjustment layer and then Merge Visible, but that doesn't work either.

I hope someone can help me so I can finish the picture.

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 24, 2013 4:17 AM   in reply to The_CrY

It should contain all of your levels edits if saving a jpeg from PSD.

Try opening the PSD and choosing Layer >> Flatten Image and then use File >> Save As and choose jpeg format.

Close the PSD afterwards but don't re-save it - in order to preserve your layers for future editing, if required.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 24, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to The_CrY

Yes that's how it works. You can't have layers with a saved jpeg, but the effects of the levels adjustment should show up in the jpeg image.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 24, 2013 4:45 AM   in reply to The_CrY

The_CrY wrote:

when I save it to JPG all the adjustment layers are lost.

Is your question why you lost the layers (not the effect of the layers)?

When you save as a jpg it flattens the image but the net effect of your adjustment layers should be there. If you want to preserve the layers themselves first save it as a PSD file.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to The_CrY

Can you reproduce the problem and post a snapshot of your Layers Palette?

Also, is it possible that the visibility of the adjustment layer was turned off when  you did the save to jpg?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 24, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to The_CrY

It would be helpful to see a screencap of your layers pallet. Are both of your adjustment layers (hue/saturation and levels) clipped to the layers below. If not hold down your alt key and hover on the dividing line between the layers until you see two small circles and then click. If the layers are properly clipped the thumbnails in the layers pallet should move slightly to the right.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Sep 24, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to The_CrY

The levels adjustment may have been accidentially locked. Try unlocking it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to The_CrY

Please upload your PSD file to a file-sharing service such as http://www.sendspace.com (it's free) and let us know the URL. 

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 24, 2013 9:09 PM   in reply to The_CrY

It looks like the problem is your image size is rather large in comparision to your available screen size and your doing your adjustments at roughly 18% view.

Photoshop elements uses interpolation to show the images on screen, so you really don't see the true results unless you view an image at 100% view (actual pixels)

If you try doing the steps from the beginning with your image at 100% view, does that make a difference?

(Double click on the Zoom Tool in the toolbox for 100% view (actual pixels))

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to The_CrY

Good one, R_Kelly !

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers