Skip navigation
jrodriguez6
Currently Being Moderated

Can Premiere Elements 11 create a Route Map

Sep 25, 2013 6:04 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_11

I have seen the previous answers and all the web site references are no good.

I know I can over lay the two images. But I also noticed After Effects has a way of doing the same process. Can It be done in Premiere?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 25, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

jrodriguez6

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running on?

In view of your research, I am not sure why you are asking. So I am not sure I will target

your question. Are you asking about creating a graphic in Premiere Elements or just showing a route on a map as you travel from

location to location?

By "Premiere", I am assuming some version of Premiere Elements, not Premiere Pro.

The idea is to overlay your map with a colored line which follows your travel path. Then on the file with the line, you apply one of the

Premiere Elements garbage mattes (under keying effects), first hidding the line and the gradually revealing it as the travel proceeds.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 6:43 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

I've also created a tutorial for creating this effect, which you'll find on the left side of this page.

http://muvipix.com/cooltricks11.php

The tut is based on one of 50 special effects tricks with Premiere Elements that I walk you through, step by step, in my "Cool Tricks" book.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 7:11 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Have you followed the link in my post, Joe?

Also, Premiere Elements may not give you better resolution than PowerDirector. A DVD is a  DVD. One program can't give you a higher resolution DVD than another.

But the quality of the video that you get out of Premiere Elements depends a lot of what model of camcorder your original video is coming from and how well Premiere Elements' project settings match this source footage. You will obviously get a  better looking DVD from a high-quality AVCHD camcorder video than you will from video from an iPhone or video captured by a program like FRAPS.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

As I said, Joe. The tutorial is right on the page I linked you to.

But thanks for supporting the book! That means a lot to me!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe,

I support Steve and his efforts.  I have the book and it is good.

Another choice is to try this:  http://www.routegenerator.net/

It is a fun and free app that creates a small video file that can be incorporated into any editing project. 

I'm working on a video for a road trip through parts of Europe.  I've not added the video and photo shots yet.  My plan is cut and insert shots at each significant stop.  So far I've done nothing more than the little car driving, but you can watch a preview here:  https://vimeo.com/67604786

The app allows you to use cars, ships, bikes, motorcycles, etc for your moving icon.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe,

It appears that you are attempting to attach Image files, but they are not showing.

One can attach PNG, or JPEG Images, via the little "camera" icon, in the middle of the Forum Reply Editing screen's Toolbar:

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I believe that the After Effects Effect that you are referring to is Write-On

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

jrodriguez6

Thanks for the follow up.

Since Premiere Elements 12 has been released, the only tryout for Premiere Elements would no doubt be for the current version 12. As far as I have determined, 12 is essentially version 11 with some new features that may or may not be must have. Still doing my first look.

Please go the tryout route for Premiere Elements before any purchase to make sure it meets your workflow requirements and it will be compatible with your computer environment.

As for the "perfect DVD". Much has been written on that. Expectations and what you have need to be sorted out. The frame size for DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen is 720 x 480 NTSC or 720 x 576 PAL as compared to a 1920 x 1080 Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. And, the size screen for viewing will factor in.

There are all sorts of factors that go into the best possible DVD-VIDEO production and viewing. On the TV side, technology exists in many TVs for enhancement of the DVD-VIDEO. On the Premiere Elements side,

a. source...are these all going to be jpg photos destined for this Premiere Elements burn to DVD-VIDEO...do you want the widescreen version...are any of the files those that display text...font choices and backgrounds need attention

b. if we assume "a", I will go into details on what works for me. I have not look into the recommendations of others.

The choice of the project preset, the sizing of the photos, and effects applied to the photos are major ingredients. Some of the details may not be what is typically being recommended.

Please let me know if you want any further details on the above or on the step by step for your map. Last year I created a "spinning globe" (2 versions). I have not fine tuned them since then.

I have a "perfect DVD-VIDEO" blog post in the works. It is temporarily on hold since I am doing two blog posts now on the new version 12. But, I can write the essentials into this thread if you want.

Please update us on your progress. You have a lot of information to sort through. As I often write, what we write are suggestions/guidelines by which one should be guided by but not ruled by.

ATR

Add On..I was going to post the YouTube links to the spinning globe videos, but am having problems with that. More later.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe,

Steve and ATR have touched on the inherent resolution of DVD-Video vs higher-resolution displays, such as BD (Blu-ray Discs), which can have resolution up to 1920 x 1080. I feel that you are butting against the resolution of DVD-Video, when shown on an HD TV. The maximum resolution of DVD-Video is limited, especially against later formats. Nothing can be done about that - it's in the older specs. of DVD-Video. While one CAN do several things, to insure best quality, there is a limit - the DVD-specs. themselves. With DVD-Video, the best results possible would be to play the DVD-Video on a BD player, or later DVD player, that has special chips for up-rezzing the 720 x 480 pixel Frame (NTSC) on an HD TV. Those special chips are very good, and will make the DVD-Video look as good as it will ever get.

To get an idea of the differences between the resolution of several formats (see DVD-Video 720 x 480 and BD 1920 x 1080 specifically) this grapic will be helpful:

Digital_video_resolutions_(VCD_to_4K)_svg (1).png

Good luck, and hope that makes things clear, regarding the resolution of the common formats.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I think that your "Perfect DVD" article will be a welcome addition to the reference material. Bits and pieces of such a topic appear around this forum, but none have distilled them all into one article. Please let us know when that article is complete, and give us a link to it.

Thanks, and good luck in that project,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe,

That "perfect DVD-Video" is the "holy grail," for which most of us search. However, due to the age of the specifications, and the equipment of the day, there are only so many things that we can do.

Remember that those specs. were written when the world was still mostly using CRT TV's, and HD was not even on the horizon. It was a format, that was designed to be better than VHS tape (also shown in that format graphic above). Now, most folk have some version of an HD display, whether on their computer, or with their TV's. Considering that display, suddenly DVD-Video looks pretty weak - after all, it is only about 1/6 of the resolution of BD (Blu-ray Disc).

For your travel line, you might also want to think about animating your "cruise ship" clip-art, over the edge of the line, as it is "drawn." Actually, if you use one of the more common methods, that line will be "revealed." With just a bit of work, Keyframing the cruise ship, to match the line (with Motion>Position), a dynamic graphic can be created.

Also, looking at your high-rez maps, you might be able to improve the readability of your text a bit, by increasing the font size. While that will never be as sharp, on a DVD-Video, as it would be with a BD, it can be useful for the viewer. Remember, there would be about 6x more pixels in that text, with a BD, than there ever would be with a DVD-Video.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have you by some years, so that is never going to be a limitation... Also, before I retired, most of my video work was producing DVD-Videos for clients (now I do both DVD-Videos and BD's for myself and family), and had to come to grips with the DVD-specs. and their limitation. One can only do so much, before they hit the "ceiling" of the format.

PPS - Thank you for your service.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe

"Perfect DVD-VIDEO" is a goal that is often seen around forums. My blog post will address that goal. But please note I have previously used the terminology "best possible" in my prior post when I went into mentioning the factors involved.

There are all sorts of factors that go into the best possible DVD-VIDEO production and viewing

The blog post to which I referred is aiming for best possible which is not meant to imply that I am defying the nature of the product which with I am dealing.

When the blog post is available it will describe steps to step how I got a high quality (video and audio wise acceptable product) that worked for me and hopefully for others.

Your intended video is a great gift to your family. We look forward to the opportunity to help.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe

Referencing your screenshot, were those lines done with Premiere Elements or After Affects?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

jrodriguez6 wrote:

....... Please understand, I'm a 62 year old Retired USAF SMSgt and I'm not trying to get a perfect DVD I just want my Kids, Grandkids and Friend's to see some of the names of Places we visted.

As I am an ex, but not retired, Naval Aviator of the same vintage and got used to  helping the Air Force during the Vietnam effort, I will be more than happy to help with this effort.  (grin).  In fact, if the truth be known, it is my granddaughters that have compelled me to learn video!

My strong suggestion is that you buy Premier Elements 11 (or the two day old 12) and take the online class at lynda.com.  Steve G (who posted above) happens to be the excellent instructor. 

In a week you will have wonderful video skills and will know how to incorporate a clip of a cruise ship moving through your ocean of choice.   As a reward for when you complete the course, I will make you an animated map clip of your cruise ship going to your ports.  

BTW, after riding on a big boat for vacation, did you consider you should have been in the Navy?

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

jrodriguez6 wrote:

.........Now, as I told you and others I already have more than one DVD Movie Editors. Does Adobe Premiere Elements warrant purchasing or is there one that would be better?

Joe,

All video editing software has strengths and weaknesses.  There are some 30 to choose from, but the top half dozen brands are all very capable.

What sets Premier Elements apart from the rest is the amazing variety and depth of learning resources.   They range from books, training DVDs, online courses, websites to forums like this.  Even Adobe themselves have their own learning support, including the online "Adobe TV".

The current price is around $80.  It will fluctuate for "sales" and probably get down to around $60 occasionally.  The best training you can get will cost $25 at lynda.com. 

From my point of view, it was money well spent.  Since the $100 investment and training I've truely enjoyed making video production a retirement activity.  Better has been the formation of SS&G productions (Sara, Samantha and Grandpa) where we have learned and played together.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

jrodriguez6 wrote:

Thanks and I'm ordering the software and will take the course you recommended.

Joe,

You will have fun.  Let me know how it goes.  I sent you a private message with my email address in it.

I have no famous relatives, Admiral or actor.

More than stable, it was more luxurious!

We in the Navy used to think the Air Force Generals were pretty smart.  They would ask for and get money for a new base including nice living quarters and clubs.  When the money ran out they would ask for and get the money for the necessary aircraft to go with the base.

The Navy Admirals would ask for and get the money for ships and airplanes.  They would spend it before the quarters and clubs were built.  We frequently got to sleep in shacks.  Guam had the worst. 

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe

I did the following lines in Premiere Elements 11 using its Titler, Shapes section line tool, and a Style named Caslon Red 84.

Is the line too thick for your purpose as I have demo'd here? Not curved enough?

Map.JPG

Do you have Photoshop Elements? If you do or already have a comparable product,

a. importing your photo into Photoshop Elements, making the line on a separate transparent layer, and then

importing just the line as a pnd or psd into Premiere Elements where it would be placed on Video 2 above the

original photo on Video 1. Then, the application of the garbage matte to Video 2 line in your production of the

moving line.by keyframing the garbage matte.

I did the following in Photoshop Elements 11 with its line tool.

PSEline.JPG

Neither had the bend that your screenshot displayed.

There is a bend effect in Premiere Elements which might be explored. And, another exploration, a techniques for how to make curves in Photoshop Elements, using its Ellipse Tool.

As I suggested in an earlier post in your thread, you might want to explore Premiere Elements on a tryout basis and then decide on purchase if the program met your project needs and was compatible with your computer environment. The tryout will be 12 which is very comparable to 11. If you like what you see, the you might want to explore version 11 at the retailers where is might be expected to be a lower price since it is no longer the current version.

We will be looking forward to learning of your progress when you get the time. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions on anything that I have written.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe,

The Line feature is in Shapes in the Title Editor (commonly referred to as Titler). It's with Ellipse, Rectangle, etc..

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe,

Premiere Elements 10 and 11 are 64 bit applications only when they are run on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit. One exception is Premiere Elements 11 Mac which is a 64 bit application on Mac 64 bit as well.

As for Premiere Elements 11 and the line tool of which I spoke. It is in the Titler which can be accessed from the Expert workspace Text Menu/New Text/Default Text. The Titler has 4 sections, Text, Style, Animation, and Shape. The screenshot below is the Titler opened to the Shape section.

shape section.JPG

The Styles section and Style mentioned will look like....

style section.JPG

jrodriguez6 wrote:

Another component of the suggestion will involve Color Properties in the Shape section

Color Properties.JPG

If you want, I will post a Premiere Elements 11 step by step, putting these screenshots in perspective. The following is a blog post that I have done on Premiere Elements 11 Titler Styles

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/07/pe-titler-part-2-styles.html

Please let me know what information I can give you to get your project done.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe

Looking forward to your results.

Sorry you have been through so many ups and downs this afternoon, but hope everything is now moving forward on a positive course..

Thanks for the update.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe,

I am so sorry.  If I had know you had a Vista vintage computer I would not have encouraged you to spend money. 

Vista vintage computers will be painfully slow and frustrating with video.  I doubt it will be of much fun.

I hope your purchase is refundable.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to jrodriguez6

Joe,

Looks good.

If you give me some details, I will try to suggest a way to get the better that you seek.

Example...if you are uploading to YouTube from within Premiere Elements 11, what did you select as the preset under Publish+Share/Online.YouTube?

If you exported to file saved to hard drive and then uploaded the file to YouTube at the YouTube web site, what were your export choices and settings in Premiere Elements 11?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2013 8:40 PM   in reply to jrodriguez6

jrodriguez6 wrote:

Bill

I tried Lynda.com I could not find Premiere Elements 11.

http://www.lynda.com/Premiere-Elements-training-tutorials/286-0.html?h s=1&category=11_1452

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2013 2:37 AM   in reply to jrodriguez6

jrodriguez6 wrote:

It looked pretty good on the DVD format but youtube sucks.

What aspect of your youtube clip 'sucks' to you? I think it looks pretty good - nice smooth line draw.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status