Skip navigation
gwdawd
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere 11 question on burning to SD Disc

Sep 27, 2013 12:54 PM

Need some expert advice about burning to disc. My system: Win.7 Pro., i7 processor, using the i7 onboard video chipset for video processing, 16GB of RAM. I'm shooting home movies with a HDR-CX150 Sony digital camcorder @ 1440x 1080i. I'm editing with Premiere 11 and burning to an SD DVD. The manual recommends capturing in HD, which can be down converted to SD at a later time  The Premiere Organizer has the 2 min. test clip stored as a m2ts, downloaded from the camera. The project settings are, General: HDV 1440x1080i, 27.97 fps, Display frame @ 30fps, Drop Frame Timecode is selected. Playback Settings: Interlaced Frames of 2:3:3:2 and Capture is HDV.  The clip looks great during editing but looks terrible on disc. The title on the timeline, which has white letters on black background, has substantial gray ghosting on the horizontal plane at the tops and bottoms of the white letters. I have played with the project settings and burned a bunch of coasters, to no avail. My older Mini DV tapes, when burned to disc, look much better than my current digital SD projects. I really like the Premiere 11, (expert mode), human interface as it's easy and seems to meet all my editing needs, if I can figure out how to use it correctly. Also, I just bought an LG Bluray burner which came with Cyberlink software applications. I tried the Cyberlink and don't think I'm going to be happy with it. It's full of disclaimers, "These features may not work with your current version", in an effort to get you to buy their product. Question, Should I invest in the full version of the software, would it make me happy? or can someone recommend something better? Thanks for reading and thanks for your time.     Greg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 27, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to gwdawd

The Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 has at least one discussion of going to a DVD

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to gwdawd

Greg

Given that you have footage whose properties include

1440 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. No doubt that the interlaced footage comes with scan order Upper Field First.

Given that you have Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Given that DVD-VIDEO, your destination format will include 29.97 interlaced frames per second, scan order Lower Field First.

You repeated refer to SD DVD. Is that SD standard or widescreen? Since your footage is 16:9 after a flag stretches it for display after encoding, is a DVD-VIDEO widescreen OK for what you have in mind? Assuming that it is....

1. Open a new project and set the Premiere Elements 11 project preset manually to either:

NTSC

Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders

HD1080i30

or

NTSC

AVCHD

HD1080i30

(if you select this, then, when you get to the TImeline, if necessary, right click the video and select Field Options/Reverse Field Dominance)

2. Depending on what you see in the Edit Mode monitor at playback of the rendered Timeline content, then you may or may not want to apply Anti-Flicker to the video...select the video, go to Applied Effects/Applied Effects Panel/Motion Panel expanded..., and, at the bottom of the Motion Panel expanded, you should find the AntiFlicker option.

3. Your export is going to be Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset for NTSC_Widescreen Dolby DVD.

What does that look like?

Always good, the mini test run before the grand project.

Please let us know the outcome.

ATR

If you ever do export your 1440 x 1080i30 Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive, leave the scan order as Upper Field First and consider the 1920 x 1080 settings under Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD preset, perhaps with preset = MP4 - H264 1920 x 1080p30.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points