Skip navigation
Dr Lesele
Currently Being Moderated

Interactive Forms - can text forms autosize when student types into PDF?

Sep 29, 2013 10:36 PM

Tags: #indesign #table #pdf_form #interactive_forms #text_box_formatting

I have been working on this problem for a solid week and I cannot figure it out. I need to have students write essay answers in their PDF form so the form's text field needs to be filled out by the student. The form needs to make the text box expand when the typing moves to the next line so the student can still see the full answer. I want this to push the questions in the text boxes below down as the student types.

Please let me know how I do this with InDesign and/or Acrobat XI. I have Adobe CC so if I need to use another program too, please let me know that too. Thank you so much for your help!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 29, 2013 10:45 PM   in reply to Dr Lesele

Check on: Multiline & Scrollable

text.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 4:48 AM   in reply to Salah Fadlabi

I don't think that's going to resize the text field. In fact, I don't think it can be done at all.

If it can, I'll be interested to hear about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

There's no way to resize the text box in a PDF form. Mulitline and scrollable is the best you'll get.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

It would have to be built using LiveCycle where strange tricks like that are possible. I have seen it done.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

Yes, but that's Windows only and requires learning an entirely separate application. Plus, LiveCycle forms can't be read on mobile devices.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

[insert anything you really need here] can't be read on mobile devices!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to Michael Witherell

Unfortunately true. We forget how long it took to develop Acrobat and Reader on desktop/laptop computers, and how much has be done to bring mobile devices to parity.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to Dr Lesele

The only suggestion I have is to create a very large space for the essay field. Tell your students to click to type into the field. Also tell them they can enter as much text as they want.

They will have to use the scroll bars (scrollable text selected) to move up and down to see their essay. However, because you gave them a large area, they will be able to read much of what they've written.

Also, you'll have to go into Acrobat itself to do this, but change the default point size of the text to 9 or 10. The default is 12, which is much too big.

I don't think your students will have too much trouble with this large text area as when the scroll bars appear, they will be familiar with how they work and will work accordingly.

But I agree, it would be nice to have the text field automatically expand. Sadly I doubt the Acrobat team will create that feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I have PDF Expert. (Paid $$.)

It's the absolute BEST reader for iOS.

If you don't have it, get it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to Sandee Cohen

Looks like it's just enterprise part that's free. Not sure how that

impacts things. Will have to check into it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points