Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using paragraph styles with numbered lists that have 'child' paragraphs

Sep 30, 2013 7:28 AM

Tags: #indesign #numbered_lists

Hi All

Just wanted a sense check from you InDesign experts.

When I create a numbered list where there are separate 'child' paragraphs that 'belong' to to the actual numbered list paragraph (see below) how should I use paragraph styles to format the list?

Currenly I apply a numbered list style to each of the bold numbered paragraphs and just an indented body text style to the child paragraphs. Is that right?

3.1 This is is a heading but also part of a numbered list

This is the text that goes with the above heading

This is another paragraph that goes with the above heading

3.2 This is is a heading but also part of a numbered list

3.2 This is is a heading but also part of a numbered list

Also, is there an ability to automatically apply a style to the last bullet in a list (like with CSS's last child selector) so that I can have a small space after each of my bullets except for the last one where I'd want a bigger space.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to FloatLeft

Is that right? Yes. And if you want the sub-paragraph style to number in some way, give each numbered style its own list name.

Styles will be applied by you. To get the last bullet to space after, add this attribute to its own paragraph style, possibly also giving it a Keep With Previous keep option.

Or maybe simpler, give the numbered line paragraph style some Space Before amount as one of its attributes found under Indents and Spacing.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to FloatLeft

FloatLeft wrote:

Hi All

Just wanted a sense check from you InDesign experts.

When I create a numbered list where there are separate 'child' paragraphs that 'belong' to to the actual numbered list paragraph (see below) how should I use paragraph styles to format the list?

Currenly I apply a numbered list style to each of the bold numbered paragraphs and just an indented body text style to the child paragraphs. Is that right?

Also, is there an ability to automatically apply a style to the last bullet in a list (like with CSS's last child selector) so that I can have a small space after each of my bullets except for the last one where I'd want a bigger space.

I didn't know that CSS has a last-child selector. However, over the years, there have been many requests for giving ID the ability to apply some style properties to only the first and last list paragraphs, exactly like the space above/below that you mention here. You can add your request here: ID-WISHFORM

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers