Skip navigation
billy4bob14
Currently Being Moderated

How do I copy parts of layers from one AI doc into a new AI doc and keep/create same layer names?

Sep 30, 2013 10:47 PM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #mac

How do I copy PARTS of layers containing many objects from one CS5 AI (v.15.0.2) doc into a new CS5 AI doc and keep/create the same layer names?

To start with, I have one fairly complex AI document with 100 layers,  with several hundred items in each layer. For example, one layer named "Stars" contains  400 separate stars (not grouped), another layer named "Crosses" contains 300 separate crosses, and a 3rd layer named "Text" contains 200 separate words (not outlined).

If I select, by marqueeing a section of the image/artboard, some (but not all) of the individual items contained in the several layers, then  paste that selection into a new CS5 AI doc, I cannot get them to  create new layers of the same name. Instead they go into one general layer (e.g. "Layer 101") as a jumble of discrete, but unorganized objects (no layers or sublayers). In other words, I have lost the 3 main layers from which I selected a bunch of objects.

Checking "Paste Remembers Layers" has no effect on this result. In fact "Paste Remembers Layers" does not remember layers at all. Only if I select ALL the items in the several layers will it paste those layers by those names into the new doc (or create new layers of the same names).

Of course it is a COLOSSAL waste of time copying the ENTIRE document, then pasting the WHOLE thing into the new doc (with layers retained), then deleting the parts I DON'T need, so please don't suggest that as the solution.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2013 11:13 PM   in reply to billy4bob14

Why do you think it would be easier to select some objects and drag them to a new document, then it would be to do the opposite, copy the layers to a new document, then select what you don't need and hit the delete key?

Selecting the entire layer and pasting it into a new document will bring across the layers name as well. Or at least as long as paste remembers layers is selected in the menu.

If it is a question of the number of objects, easier the select the ones to keep than the ones to discard, you can select the keep objects then in the selection menu choose inverse, than will invert your selection. Also lock any layers or objects you want to keep then select all would work as well.

Sorry you think its a waste of time, but I beleive it is worth mentioning anyways.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 2:50 AM   in reply to billy4bob14

billy4bob14 wrote:

Checking "Paste Remembers Layers" has no effect on this result. In fact "Paste Remembers Layers" does not remember layers at all. Only if I select ALL the items in the several layers will it paste those layers by those names into the new doc (or create new layers of the same names).

it should.

Could you post a screenshot of the layer structure before and after pasting?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to billy4bob14

this is just to confirm that I'm also using CS5 and I don't have your problem. It has worked for me all the time. I can just select only one anchor point from a complex object and pasting it in a new document also copies the layer and its name. There must be some problem on your setup or something that is not done properly.

I'm using  Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to billy4bob14

It's not. You have to make sure that Paste Remembers Layers is on in the new file's Layers panel flyout (Click the small triangle at the upper right of the panel).

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to billy4bob14

Are we really talking about layers? Or about groups? Or something else? Please show screenshots of your layer panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to billy4bob14

Do you have any plugins installed in Illustrator?

Is any third party clipboard extension installed in your system?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 2:52 AM   in reply to billy4bob14

Sorry, dropped out for a while there. System is 10.6.8.

Then - in addition to the lists of tools I posted above - do you have Cocktail or any of this kind of system extensions installed? They have clipboard enhancement as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points