Skip navigation
dlanodcamj
Currently Being Moderated

Why is Illustrator CC very unpredictable?

Oct 1, 2013 11:33 AM

Hi,

I recently had Adobe CC installed on my work computer, and Illustrator CC behaves very erratically. For example, in order to view a file I have opened, I must demagnify it to 50%. When I select an item on a page, sometimes it shows me the dimensions of the object and sometimes it doesn't. Also, I can rarely deselect all: I must select another item. Lastly, if I change the swatch color of a vector item, the change does not take effect until I select another item. Many other things happen that I won't detail here.

How do I get it to behave more predictably?

Thanks,

John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 1, 2013 11:36 AM   in reply to dlanodcamj

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the Illustrator forum. They will be able to help you here.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to dlanodcamj

John,

Have you both the font (families) Verdana and Tahoma installed and active?

Those should at least take care of the hesitation.

For a wider range of strangenesses, you may consider which parts of the following general list may be relevant (the one already mentioned is included in 5) on the list).

You may try the following (you may have tried/done some of them already) and see whether it helps (the following is a general list of things you may try when the issue is not in a specific file; 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt preferences):

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to 3 times);

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

4) Move the folder with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible);

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy);

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall, run the Cleaner Tool, and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to dlanodcamj

John,

You should install both Verdana and Tahoma: their absense confuses Illy and makes her hesitate, or even give up, or faint.

They may also take care of the other strangenesses. If not, it is time to look into the list of other things.

Here is a list of threads about them.

http://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?start=0&q=Verdana%20Tahoma&peopleE nabled=true&containerType=14&container=3367&dateRange=all&rankBy=date

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 1, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to dlanodcamj

You need those two fonts.

You can try everything else additionally.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points