Skip navigation
FrustratedWithElements
Currently Being Moderated

Text tool, Elements 12, Macbook Pro

Oct 2, 2013 9:43 AM

Tags: #text_tool #elements_12

My text tool doesn't work in Elements 12. I am on a Macbook Pro running 10.8. I place text bar, click and start typing. Nothing happens. Probably doing something silly. Have turned off and on (the basic fix all) still doesn't work. Help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 2, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to FrustratedWithElements

Make sure the text size is large enough to be visible (remember that text size in PSE is dependent on resolution) and that you haven't chosen a color that's the same as the background.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to FrustratedWithElements

Well, first of all, they aren't "our" techs. This is the user to user forum and we're just other customers like you.

Your conversation ends with :

Syed Faraz: No, the previous session will not conflictwith the current session,

Is that what you meant to post?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to FrustratedWithElements

Not to confuse the issue while Barbara is helping you - but I always suggest going back to basics.

Open a new project - file> new> blank file

-- white background - 300 resolution - 4 inch by 4 inch

Grab the text tool - look to the text tool option bar - and set the font size to 14 - leading to auto -

foreground color to blue

Do not use a text box

Click anywhere on your project and start typing -

Does anything show up?

If so - next - try a text box

Draw out a large text box by holding down the mouse button and dragging -  it will be a dotted line box with the bounding box arrows around it

Click inside text box and start typing

Does anything show up?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,852 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to cats4jan

The font size drop-down  menu is limited to 72 but you can type in any value. Try 100, 150 or 200.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to FrustratedWithElements

I assume when you said it "won't work on a pic" you are referring to my answer - so I'm going from the fact that you can get the text to work on a new project.

Are you in "Expert" editing mode?

I don't know the constraints of the other modes since I always use "Expert" - but I hear there are some things you cannot do unless in "Expert"

Is the photo a jpg?  Is the mode RGB Color?

It just doesn't make sense that you cannot open a jpg - grab the text tool - and type a word onto your photo.  The text layer would come on to your project as a new layer.  You do not have to open a new layer to use the text tool - it makes it's own layer.

Look to the layers palette - after attempting to type text -  is there a text layer showing in the layers palette?

If layers palette is not open - Window> layers

If you have a text layer in the layers palette - is it above your photo?  Text layer has to be above the photo or it will be covered by the photo layer.

If you see a text layer in the layers palette, the text is there.  Unless PSE is totally acting up - the only possible problem is the text is too small to see it.  As already mentioned, there is a correlation between the resolution of your photo and the size of the text.  That's why it has been suggested that you select your text and increase the font size to 200 or more - to see if you can then see it. 

If you can finally see it, it's all about the resolution of the photo. 

Double click on the T Icon in the text layer in the layers palette to select the text - do you see any black box on your photo?  The text gets highlighted when you double click so you can edit your text.  If you see a black box on your project, increase the text size to 300 -  can you see it?

Note - you will see a black box even if the text layer is covered by the photo layer - it won't resolve your issue because it will still be covered - but at least you will know there is text there. 

Be patient and work through the steps.  It took me 6 months of fooling with PSE to finally understand it,, but I had not sought help on sites like this.  The help is here - you just need to be patient.  I know that's asking alot, but stick with it - it will soon "click" and you will be on your way.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to FrustratedWithElements

The only question I did not ask - "Does it happen with all photos" 

Guess if I would've asked this question, it would've been a less frustrating experience.

I was halfway to the problem with "is it RGB mode"

Getting photos from sites has a lot of problems.  People don't want you to use them - just look at them - and have instituted methods to safeguard their photos.  As in your case, these safeguards were hidden - unlike when someone puts a copyright across the front of the photo.

Not everything you do in PSE will be this much of a hassle.  You ran into an unusual situation. Step back, take a deep breath - and don't give up.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points