Skip navigation
minutephysics
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CC crashes when trimming (often during playback)

Oct 2, 2013 7:43 PM

I've been having Premiere Pro CC freeze on me about every 2 minutes when I trim in the timeline using keyboard shortcuts (trim backward/forward one frame). It seems to happen more often during playback, but also happens exclusively during trimming (and occasionally when I use a keyboard shortcut to step forward/backward one frame - obviously not during playback).

This appears to be a weird freeze & not a crash, in the sense that playback freezes and I get the spinning beachball/wheel of death and premiere is unresponsive, but when I force-quit, Premiere resumes playback for a second before giving the "Premiere has experienced a serious error and must shut down" error message, and then shutting down.

Any help would be much appreciated - this is really causing a massive slow-down in my editing.

I'm running a MacBook pro

Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

C02L255BFFT1

OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Premiere Pro CC fully updated, I'm editing 48kHz .aiff audio files and/or h.264 video in a 1080p 24fps timeline, waveforms on, GPU acceleration OFF.

The same issue also happens on my iMac (from early 2013 - I don't have the specs on me).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to minutephysics

Hi minutephysics,

That's really odd. Have you tried trashing preferences?

If you can, please file a bug report: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,
    Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to minutephysics

Hello minutesphysucs,

Which version of NVIDIA driver do you use? Can you update your driver to latest version?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to minutephysics

Hello minutesphysucs,

If you are not GPU mode, it would not help, unfortunately. By the way, are you using CC (7.0) or CC 7.01? Can you try to update, if you haven't?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to minutephysics

Hi minutephysics,

Thanks for your posts. It is always better to have latest version of cuda drivers even, if you are not using the gpu acceleration. So, please update the drivers and then check the performance. Please update the drivers from the link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html

Regards,

Vinay

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 11:13 AM   in reply to minutephysics

minutephysics wrote:

I have updated the CUDA drivers, to no avail. I did notice that the crash only happens when I'm trimming audio, not video. (And it happens regardless of whether or not audio waveforms are visible)

Hi minutephysics,

Sorry that updating your drivers didn't seem to help.

Are your .aiff and .h264 clips merged? Or are you trimming .aiff audio only? Or is this the audio from the .h264 clip? Just trying to visualize what's going on.

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 21, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to minutephysics

Mi minutephysics,

It appears that audio clip effects were applied to the trimmed audio clips.  Any idea which effects are involved?  Does the problem still occur if no effects are applied to these audio clips?

Thanks.

-AW

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to minutephysics

Hmmm...I tried it myself and was only able to reproduce this bug with specific clip effects (i.e., Multiband Compressor) applied.  The clips themselves didn't matter, as I reproduced this with Bars and Tone clips. 

-AW

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2013 10:39 PM   in reply to minutephysics

within the directories there are lots of folders and files in the Premiere Pro CC\..... Which files should be deleted. kindly specify the contents pls..

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to minutephysics

It should be mentioned that  access to the Library folder on recent MacOS versions is a hidden function. One way to get to it is to hold down the option key while using the Go menu. Also, it's good to know that the "~" symbol means "the home directory of the current user."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points