Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Receiving 2-channel mono L and R stems - how to export as Stereo?

Oct 3, 2013 11:59 AM

I receive a lot of movie files with either 2 or 8 channels of audio - all mono stems.

I usually end up exporting the 6-channel 5.1 audio as individual mono stems and that is fine, but most of the time clients want the two L and R channels exported as a single Stereo audio track.

Every time I export a timeline with the individual L and R audio channels active, whether it's WAV, AIFF or a video w/ attached audio, it comes in a dual-channel mono. I select stereo in the export settings, but it doesn't matter.

Is there a trick to getting this to work correctly? I have had numerous client complaints about mono audio delivery and I don't know how to get around it when using Premiere CC.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2013 7:05 PM   in reply to Creatively Bankrupt

dual-channel mono.

That's something of an oxymoron, isn't it?  Mono by definition is one channel.  Stereo by definition is two.  So if you have two channels...

Or are you saying that both channels are centered, instead of the expected left and right?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to Creatively Bankrupt

I would look at splitting that Dual-Mono into discrete files. Audition can do this easily.

Then Import those two Mono Audio files, and in Audio Mixer, Pan the desired one to full Left, and the other to full Right. That should get you close. If you do not go FULL Left & Right, you will get a bit of Phantom Center, which is usually not an undesired situation.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to Creatively Bankrupt

Excellent. I had missed that aspect - sorry.

As you have Imported your discrete Mono (1-channel) Clips into your Project, drag them to separate Audio Tracks.

Then go to Audio Mixer, and Pan one Left and one Right.

If your Master is set to Stereo (2-channel), you should then get the mix-down to that, with Export.

Hope that I am not missing something else, but will apologize in advance, if I am.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Creatively Bankrupt

Could you upload a small file?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2013 11:52 PM   in reply to Creatively Bankrupt

I am trying to figure out how to export a stereo file from Premiere that mainstains the individual L and R levels that the two mono channels originally had.

Be sure to send each tracks output to only one side in the Mixer window.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points