Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Getting the best from SD Footage

Oct 3, 2013 2:09 PM

Hi Guys

I've captured some SD video using my equipment for a friend and edited a short movie accordingly. Although it looks fine in the preview, when I export and render (using PAL as the standard over here), I get a hint of interlacing. I've tried rendering to AVI (using match source - on and then off), H.264 using "match source" (on/ off) and Mpg2 using match source again but I always get this hint of interlacing in some scenes where there's movement from a straight edge (although not as terrible as I've experienced).

The render settings are 720x576, 25fps, lower field first, VBR 1 pass, min 4 target 15, max 18.50mps, mpg audio 384kbps, 48KHz, stereo 16bit. I did think of changing the field order but they are greyed out.

My machine is a Dell Precision, Win7SP1 64bit, 16gig RAM, Intel core i7, Nvidia Quadro K3000M.

I'd welcome any pointers as it would be nice to offer a sharp finished movie if possible.

Regards,

Graham

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to glaustin

The standard definition (SD) standard is interlaced. The "lower field first" is referring to interlacing.  The preview window in PrPro (as all computers) is not interlaced. The user can select the preview monitor to show the lower and upper fields individually or interlaced.  Best preview is on the TV that will play the material.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to glaustin

Try VBR 2 pass to see if that helps

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 3:07 PM   in reply to glaustin

If its for PC use a H.264 preset like DV Pal and set the fields to progressive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points