Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I import AVI video with stereo audio (and keep it that way)?

Oct 3, 2013 4:41 PM

Today I just discovered that all the AVI video with stereo audio I've ever imported into a Premiere Pro CS6 project has been mysteriously converted to mono. And I can't find any import setting anywhere that enable me to change this.

Here's the deal...

I've have an AVI file with stereo audio (the file is actually a stereo sound test that I downloaded to prove that I wasn't imagining things). On my hard drive, I right-click and view the properties:

Video
Length: 00:00:36
Frame width: 320
Frame height: 240

Frame rate: 25 frames/second

Audio
Bit rate: 128kbps

Channels: 2 (stereo)

Audio sample rate: 44 kHz

I click on it to play and listen with headphones--everything is playing in the correct part of the stereo spectrum. Then, I import it to Premiere, click the file name in the left content menu, and check the properties, suddenly they read:

Type: AVI Movie

File Size: 1.1 MB

Image Size: 320 x 240

Frame Rate: 25.00

Source Audio Format: 11025 Hz - 16 bit - Mono

Project Audio Format: 11025 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono

Total Duration: 00:00:36:15

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Sure enough, I drag it into the sequence, listen to it, and it's indeed playing mono. Outside of Premiere, the original source file still reads and plays correctly with stereo sound.

When I import stereo WAVs and MP3s, it keeps the original stereo channels without me having to do anything special. I even just imported the same exact file as a MOV with stereo audio, and it showed up in Premiere as:

Source Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 44100 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

What is going on here with AVIs? Am I doing something wrong? Are there settings I'm missing somewhere?

(And before anyone suggests I only use MOV in the future... that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2013 4:50 PM   in reply to oldpantsnewjersey

Welcome to the forum.

I might have missed it, but what is the Audio CODEC used for that AVI's Audio Stream?

Also, to edit Audio, PrPro WILL have to Conform your Audio, so the 32-bit Floating Point is what you should see. What should NOT happen, is for a 2-channel (Stereo, in your case), to be converted to 1-channel (Mono).

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to oldpantsnewjersey

Thank you for that info.

For video, the codec is MPEG-4 Video (XVID) and for audio it says MPEG Audio Layer 1/2/3 (mpga).

There are two issues with that file:

The first is the Xvid CODEC (not meant for editing), and then the MPEG Audio/MPGA. I would convert that file, to something that is more editable.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points