Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

[OT] Adobe security breach

Oct 3, 2013 4:39 PM

Hi,

Just a note that you should update your Adobe passwords ASAP...

Posted by Brad Arkin, Chief Security Officer on October 3, 2013 8:08 AM in Executive Perspectives

"Cyber attacks are one of the unfortunate realities of doing business today. Given the profile and widespread use of many of our products, Adobe has attracted increasing attention from cyber attackers. Very recently, Adobe’s security team discovered sophisticated attacks on our network, involving the illegal access of customer information as well as source code for numerous Adobe products. We believe these attacks may be related.

Our investigation currently indicates that the attackers accessed Adobe customer IDs and encrypted passwords on our systems. We also believe the attackers removed from our systems certain information relating to 2.9 million Adobe customers, including customer names, encrypted credit or debit card numbers, expiration dates, and other information relating to customer orders. At this time, we do not believe the attackers removed decrypted credit or debit card numbers from our systems. We deeply regret that this incident occurred. We’re working diligently internally, as well as with external partners and law enforcement, to address the incident."

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/10/important-customer-securi ty-announcement.html

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 3, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to afsdfasg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2013 10:11 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Is it possible to reset your email address? I started with the forums back in 1998 or so, and I've been using my now-defunct AOL email as my log-in ever since, even though I have had different email addresses for years. I've tried to update in the past, but without access to AOL, I can't accept an email from Adobe to even change my password. I've just kept my AOL log-in because it works, but this issue makes me think I may need to change it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 1:17 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

Michael, do you get emails from the forums now? If you do, I suspect you'll be able to change your ID and password without losing your "identity" and it may even be possible to simply log into Adobe.com, go to your profile and change the email -- the system is supposed to be unified very soon, if not already -- which is used as your login ID. I'm trying to get some clarification, but it may take some time.

In the meantime, there's an actual forum devoted to this issue at http://forums.adobe.com/community/alert that you might want to post in. So far I don't see much but rants, but I beleive there are staffers assigned to monitor that forum who have some real information.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 1:29 AM   in reply to afsdfasg

Problem is, you are asked to reset your password. In languages other than English, "resetting" is not understood as "set again", rather like "kill". It means, I actually expected Adobe to send me a new one, after the "Reset your password by entering it again" dialog page. Now I can not access the profile page where to enter another one. Server is something with "stage". No access atm.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 1:56 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

Michael, do you get emails from the forums now?

I don't have access to AOL, because I haven't paid them any money since the 90s. Since the verification process requires me to check an email that I no longer have, I don't know how I can do it.

Peter Spier wrote:

…and it may even be possible to simply log into Adobe.com, go to your profile and change the email…

I've tried looking at my profile and preferences, but neither has any way to edit anything as far as I can see. If you can show me a screenshot of where that's possible, I'd be glad to try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 3:31 AM   in reply to Michael Gianino

You need to go to Adobe.com and sign in, then go to My Adobe and My Information.

As far as I know that also affects the forum login, but honestly I have no idea what will happen when you change the email there. It will be a few hours yet before anyone in California responds to my query about you, if at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 3:50 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I got this:

To protect the security of your account, you must reset your password. Please check your inbox for an email we just sent you with instructions for how to reset your password and log into your account.

So now I'm using a different account.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 3:59 AM   in reply to Migintosh

@Migintosh, even if you use a differnt account now, you should change the password on the other one.

@ Michael, I just remembered that I have a couple of clients in my other business who still use AOL email addresses. You don't need to pay money to continue with AOL for email, but you get no support. You should try going back to AOL and sign in, or if you don't have AOL installed, try http://mail.aol.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 4:36 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

AOL won't let me in, so I guess Michael is now Migintosh.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to Migintosh

I'm having trouble getting into the Forums.

I changed my password as directed.

Signed in to Adobe via the Adobe main page.

Went to the forum, but I'm not signed in there.

Clicked the sign in link.

Got an "Ooops. This page is missing."

Went back. Did the sign in again.

Same "Oooops."

Writing this on my email reply.

Hope it gets through.

--

Sandee Cohen

Computer Graphics Trainer

Re: Re: [OT] Adobe security breach Adobe security breach

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to Migintosh

@michael/migintosh, I've done some more exploring on the Adobe.com profile page, and it looks like you can specify an alternate email for paswword resetting on the AOL account, and you can probably give yourselt a nicer screen name on the migintosh account.

@Sandee, I'm finding I can't log in through the login screens, but if I restart the browser, then click the link to view a discussion in the email I'm logged in when I get here.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Same here. Been that way for a few days now.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to vectorbabe

@Sandee,

It could be a browser cache issue. If you're autologging in with your browser, it may be remembering your old password. Try clearing your browser cache. Unfortunately, that may mean manually re-entering a lot of password for other stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Emptied the cache. Didn't work. I can't get to the page.

--

Sandee Cohen

Computer Graphics Trainer

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Here's what forum admin had to say for Michael:

He should call Adobe or use Chat. I don't have any access to his (or anyone's) Adobe account.

Please note that if you sign in and don't get an "invalid password" error, you should be fine. Passwords were reset on affected accounts.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to vectorbabe

@vectorbabe: Have you tried using a different browser? I am having issue on Safari and Chrome but Firefox works fine. We've logged a ticket with our forum provider and they are looking into the issue now.

@michael/migintosh: If you still having issue switching your email account, please send me a PM with your current Adobe ID and the email you wish to switch to. I can mannual reset it for you.

Like Peter said, if you didn't get an 'invalid password' error when you sign in to any of the Adobe properties with your Adobe ID, or if you didn't receive an email from Adobe asking you to change your password, your account shouldn't have been affected.

Thanks,

Amy

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to amxyz

Amy,

I got in!

I couldn't get in with Chrome, but have with Safari.

Strange.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to Sandee Cohen

Looks like things are back to normal. I'm using Chrome and am signed in.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points