Skip navigation
makerimage
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to put images into shapes?

Oct 3, 2013 7:55 PM

I don't know what the tool is actually called since the name changes with each new tool (polygon, donut, etc.). Rather than a solid or textured fill, I'd like to drop an image into an irregular shape.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 7, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to makerimage

Masking the image with the shape would be one way to accomplish this.

Place the shape above the mask, select both, and choose Modify > Mask > Group as Mask. Now, within the Layers panel, you'll see that the two objects occupy a single layer. Click on the mask thumbnail, and you'll see the mask's properties in the Properties panel. You can choose between a "Path outline" or "Grayscale" mask, and select whether or not to "Show fill and stroke".

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 7, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to makerimage

Yes, I think so. You could either create a series of masked objects—one shape per bitmap, each grouped as a mask—or you could group all the vectors (Modify > Group) and then apply that group as a mask to all the bitmaps. When using Group as Mask, the topmost object in your selection is applied as a mask to all the underlying objects in your selection.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to makerimage

The options or properties will vary depending on what type of object you're using as a mask. If the options are "alpha channel" or "grayscale", then you must be using a bitmap as the masking object; if you were using a vector as the mask, the options would be "path outline" or "grayscale", and "show fill and stroke" would be selectable if the path outline option were chosen.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to makerimage

See my first response above. I'm not sure what else I can tell you here. If you're still stuck, include a screenshot of your canvas and Layers panel and explain what you're unable to accomplish.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points