Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat Reader renders images pixelated

Oct 5, 2013 4:59 AM

Tags: #pixellation #reader_viewing #pixelating_fonts

Some sections of an eBook contain text stored as Bitmaps. I'm not sure why the publisher did this, as it looks horribly in Acrobat Reader XI / Windows:

Acrobat.png

Note that only code sections with the font "Teletype" have this problem. This looks like a mix of bad pixelation and wrong anti-aliasing. Zooming in and out doesn't help. I also can't seem to find a zoom setting in which this font actually starts looking good. I also have this problem with other PDFs containing bitmaps, but here it is starting to get really nasty.

In Foxit Reader, this looks a little bit better since the bitmaps get anti-aliased:

Foxit.png

Is there a way to optimize the rendering in Acrobat Reader? The rendering right now is a big joke... It seems to have a few hundred settings but I couldn't find one solving my problem - interesting since this was(?) the number #1 PDF reader one day.

On a side note, the book says the code sections use the font "Teletype". It is not installed on my system and I don't know where I can find it (for free) - maybe installing this font will start rendering that sections as plain-text, and this bitmap-stuff is just used as a fallback method if the font is not found (then using small resolution bitmap replacements stored in the PDF)?

Also, I have already contacted the publisher if there is a version with correct true-text code sections.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points