Skip navigation
hedvertel
Currently Being Moderated

Is Flash Builder a good beginner program for creation of android app?

Oct 9, 2013 12:40 AM

Hi there,

I'm planning to create a Android app and I'm searching for the right program to do so. I have absolutly no knowledge about programming, but happen to have Flash Builder as part of the Creative Suite CS6. As I need to learn everything from the complete beginning, I'd like to pick the best program for this purpose, so I don't learn a lot of stuff not be able to achieve the product I'd like. Let me give you a example of what I will try to achieve:

Program for Android:

- first page of the program would be a welcome page, it would be nice to be able to put a login and password option here, but that is not neceserry.

- second page would be a list of 14 options - books - and by clicking on each option I would open a little book (cca 30 pages).

- this option would be nice: let's say I open the third book and stop reading on page 10 and stop/close the program - the next time I open the program it would open the program on that very 10th page of the third book

- this option would aslo be nice: some kind of searching modul to search keywords in the book.

Is this kind of app possible to make in Adobe Flash Builder, or would it be better to learn another program? Thanks a lot for your experiences! Hedvertel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 9, 2013 12:53 AM   in reply to hedvertel

It's an ambitious project for many people, but particularly so for an absolute beginner.

As an experienced developer, it's a project I would pass on (I'm not sure that controlling and indexing books would be easy).

Flex is a cross-platform technology, so you can target Android, but it's not specific to that platform and if your aim is to become a programmer on the Android platform specifically then adopting an Android-native technology might be better.

I do not recommend that you attempt this project as your first foray into programming - it's far too ambitious.

Take small steps.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2013 1:28 AM   in reply to hedvertel

Would you see this variation a reachable option for me as beginner?

It's ambitious. You won't do it easily and it may take some time.

I would imagine you would give up.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to pauland

What you describe sounds to me more like a website than an app. Have you considering creating this in HTML and hosting on a webserver? You could also package it up using any one of a number of different HTML app packagers, for example PhoneGap. Such tools are not as advanced as Flex/Flash Builder and probably more suited for a beginner.

-Aaron

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to hedvertel

I made a YouTube video on getting started with PhoneGap with PhoneGap Build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xEisu4FGs.

I have apps made with Flash Builder and PhoneGap and have apps for both in the mobile app stores. PhoneGap will probably be easier for you to do.

I use Eclipse (which is what Flash Builder is based on) for all my mobile development. I recommend using PhoneGap 2.9 not 3.0 for your project. You can use the Ripple Emulator in Google Chrome to help with making sure your design will work for your target devices. Although it would be best to use a responsive design, I think Adobe Muse maybe the easiest way for you to create your app, http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-suite-podcast-designers/how-to-get- started-with-adobe-muse-10-things-beginners-want-to-know.   Once it is done you can upload the zip with the index.html inside of it to http://build.phonegap.com

If you have all your books as separate pages, then it could work. Make sure the total app is less than 50 megabytes for Android and 100 for iPhone.

For starting out, just try one book to see how you like it, then add a UI to select among the books.

Good luck!

George

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 1:53 AM   in reply to hedvertel

Does Google or the Adobe product pages not work in your browser?

Do you not know what Adobe will allow you access to as part of your licence?

What does Adobe Muse have to do with your intention of creating an Android App?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 3:11 AM   in reply to hedvertel

If you have a licence for Master Collection you should have the info about what it contains.

A few moments on Google took me here: http://www.ecostsoftware.com/adobe/adobe-creative-suite-cs6-master-col lection-mac_p5565?gclid=CNzN5MbKmLoCFXDJtAodWDoA3w

The included software is listed. I don't think Muse existed when CS6 was originally released.

I didn't properly read George's answer, but I don't see Muse as a great app builder.

I kind of don't understand at all, why you even answer, if the only thing you are saying in this disucssion is that it's too ambitious and that I'm stupid even asking.

Saying the project is overly-ambitious is a great answer to your question. In post 5 you clearly valued that answer enough as to be giving up on the project.

I didn't say you were stupid asking these questions, it's more a case of asking questions you should be able to answer yourself without too much trouble.

I still think that with your current level of understanding, takling this project with no experience of any programming or web technology is overly ambitious. Start small and build on that.

You don't say why you want to do this particular project - whether it's about learning in general or that project in particular. If it's learning in general there's nothing to stop you - there are a ton of tutorials out there. If it's for this particular project only, I would stop now.

You need to invest a significant amount of time to learn this stuff.

Are you on some design course? Why do you have the master collection?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to hedvertel

Muse is not part of the Master Collection. It is a part of the Adobe Creative Cloud, however. If you have trouble after installing Adobe Muse, take a look at this: http://helpx.adobe.com/muse/kb/unexpected-error-occurred-i-200.html.

The idea behind PhoneGap is to take HTML content and run your mini-website inside the phone and with JavaScript you can communicate with the underlying operating system. Your particular app does not sound like it will need the Native bridge that PhoneGap offers. Muse is one way of creating HTML web pages but there are many, many others.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 12:41 AM   in reply to hedvertel

That Muse didn't come with it is really a pity, because for me it would be perfect creating a website without coding.

Muse wouldn't create the app that you were talking about - nowhere near it. Your app would require a significant amount of coding.

At no stage did I say your questions were stupid. You are the only person to make such an assumption. I think you could have answered the question about Muse yourself though!

Good luck with your education.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 29, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to pauland

Just sat through Terry White's presentation on Muse at http://www.adobeeventsonline.com/CreateEvent/tour/la..

Muse is part of Adobe Creative Cloud, http://www.adobe.com/products/muse.html.

You can also get it separately.

Their is no mobile-friendly (responsive theme) yet so you have to do that work yourself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points