Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Live paint bucket and eyedropper

Oct 11, 2013 8:45 AM

Right; I've got my fill color set up in the toolbar using the eye dropper.

Now I activate the 'live paint bucket' tool, and the fill color vanishes.

So I hit 'i' for the eyedropper again and lose the bucket tool.

The color picker the doesn't have eye dropper ability like big brother PS so how the f*** am I supposed to get my bucket's color? (other than fill up my swatches)

At the moment I am sampling in Photoshop and copying the hexidecimal code.

12 years in Photoshop, 3 days in illustrator and can't believe this is industry standard.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to DelBoy78

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Sounds like you don't want the Live Paint bucket (which is a different thing that is supposed to be used in conjunction with Live Paint groups).

It rather sounds that you simply want to use Alt+Eyedropper to use the tool as a common bucket.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to DelBoy78

What you need to do is add the color to swatches, as that is where live paint bucket pulls colors from.

Alt eyedropper is not accurate, as it takes the screen values, and also averages. But it is quick and if you are trying to recreate somehitng fast then use alt eyedropper.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to DelBoy78
    1. With the LivePaint tool selected, press and hold Alt. Momentarily invokes the Eyedropper.
    2. Click a pre-existing vector object with the Fill/Stroke you want to use. Note that the current Fill/Stroke in the Toolbox become those of the clicked object.
    3. Release Alt and click inside the LivePaint Group to apply.

To similarly pick up colors from raster images, in step 1 also press and hold Shift.

3 days in illustrator...

Good idea to read the instructions.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 9:00 AM   in reply to DelBoy78

DelBoy78 wrote:

I've found what the alt+eyedropper is all about; shortcut for applying a fill colour to a line. Thanks for that but as the image lower down shows, the areas I want to fill with colour are not built from a single fillable line.

Eyedropper applies the attributes of the clicked object to the selected object/s as set in its options accessible by double clicking the Eyedropper tool

Holding Alt while clicking with the Eyedropper (In my version CS5) does the opposite - it applies the attributes from the selected object to the object being clicked.

Holding Shift while clicking with the Eyedropper applies the color being clicked to the fill or stroke of the selected object/s depending on which (the fill or the stroke) is in front in the color selector found in the Tool box and the Color panel. Pressing the X key on your keyboard, swaps which color, fill or stroke, is in front (focus of your input).

While using the Live Paint Bucket tool, holding Alt switches temporarily to the Eyedropper tool. However using the Eyedropper to pick colors from a Live Paint group may feel as if it is working differently because it may not be picking the stroke color. This is because internally behind the scene, the Live Paint group is separating the fills as different objects without strokes. Expanding the Live Paint group reveals this.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Mike Gondek wrote:

... Alt eyedropper is not accurate, as it takes the screen values, and also averages.

Mike,

In my version CS5 Alt works as I explained in my previous message. Regarding the colors Eyedropper picks, it is accurate when picking colors from objects created in the document, included images rasterized in the document by Illustrator. It may read different color values than expected of linked objects but those are still not screen values, they are color management values. To make the Eyedropper read screen values of the color, the only way I know is to make a screen capture and paste. Then the color will be different if the color profile of the document is different than the color profile of the monitor which is the case with CMYK documents and with all users who have custom made or manufacturer supplied monitor color profiles.

About the averaging of color, in the Eyedropper options it can be set to a point sample which is a screen pixel.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote:

To similarly pick up colors from raster images, in step 1 also press and hold Shift.

Jet, I can pick the colors from raster images without holding Shift, but it changes only the fill color regardless if it is in front or back in the color selector and removes the stroke if any of the selected object. However because of this behavior I have the habit of always holding Shift when sampling raster images.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to DelBoy78

DelBoy78 wrote:

Also for the record; I don't achieve much from instruction manuals until I've stretched my legs around the software so that I know what they are referring to. (I learned Quark XPress all by myself)

Although, I refer to good manuals from time to time, I'm pretty much the same like you. I've never read a word about how eyedropper works in the manual, all of my input in your thread about it is from my experience.

... is there any way other than live paint bucket to dump a colour into a patch that can't be achieved with a simple fill?

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but I apply colors mostly using the color panel, swatches, and the eyedropper. With an object selected, I send a look a the color selector to make sure what is the front color, fill or stroke, and then just pick a color in one of the aforementioned ways. I rarely use Live Paint, this is because I continue to edit objects after I color them. For example in your Simpson character image the mustache and eyes will be in front of the face color so that if I change their shapes or move them later it is the color of the face and not gaps that will show behind.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to DelBoy78

… is there any way other than live paint bucket to dump a colour into a patch that can't be achieved with a simple fill?

Shape Builder tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to DelBoy78

Can you provide a sample .ai file of that lady?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to DelBoy78

Thanks for the sample file.

I'd recommend to check your Gap Detection settings in both the Shape Builder and Live Paint tool options.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to emil emil

Oops, sorry I meant shift eyedropper.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers