Skip navigation
JackSparrow
Currently Being Moderated

Reading adobe help is like reading a bible

Oct 11, 2013 10:15 AM

Hi,  OK, I am new to adobe illustrator, but I have experience with photoshop elements 9, I worked and got paid for using CAD Accumark Gerber system to draft apparel technical patterns when I had no clue how to use that software but it was easy to follow the system onboard help menu.  I am studying Adobe Illustrator by myself with a book.  I am stuck, the menu Help is written like a bible, just technical language, no image, no example. We are not all geekies and experts here.  Please Adobe! be more user friendly in your Help guides.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to JackSparrow

What SPECIFICALLY are you trying to do? Include operating system and version of Illustrator. (This is a group of helpful users, I don't know if Adobe actually reads this.)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to JackSparrow

A book is a great way to learn, which one did you get?

Adobe has a classroom in a book series, which I avoided for years because the examples looked so poorly designed, but having after taught the courses I found the content to be better than expected.

There are plenty of image son the onliune help, but it does appear from a recent post on the forusm btu Adobe taht they want to go with even less words in the future and more icons/images.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

....... random comment about how the help files don't include fantastical stories about a magical zombie...... Wish they did, might make them more entertaining.

Get the Classroom in a Book. Get any of the "Illustrator Wow" books... read online tutrials... all will be way more help than the help files. I honestly haven't see any question where the help files were better than a 2 minute Google search unless you get into the more advanced features like variables and scripting.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to [scott w]

iwebstudent wrote:

I am stuck, the menu Help is written like a bible, just technical language, no image, no example. We are not all geekies and experts here.  Please Adobe! be more user friendly in your Help guides.

[scott w] wrote:

....... random comment about how the help files don't include fantastical stories about a magical zombie...... Wish they did, might make them more entertaining.

Here is a thread where the multitude of atheists and heathens can express direct feedback to the wonderful world of using pictures, no faith required then I guess, aside from Adobe being Adobe which requires more faith than most things now days. (2nd Cor. 5:7).

Participate in visual research for future Illustrator help content!

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5732870

People were so excited with this announcement from Adobe, that no one even responded.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 11, 2013 7:17 PM   in reply to JackSparrow

I am studying Adobe Illustrator by myself with a book...

...Help is written like a bible, just technical language

I'm telling you man...

illustratorBible.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 12:29 AM   in reply to W_J_T

W_J_T wrote:

Participate in visual research for future Illustrator help content!

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5732870

.. and this is where the believers lose their faith... even Adobe uses the term "Crop" when it's NOT POSSIBLE in the application. If the manufacturer of the application can not adhere to the application terminology - "Mask" not "Crop" -  is it any wonder there are devout Adobe haters?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 12, 2013 12:42 AM   in reply to JackSparrow

As the others said - do yourself a favor and use Google. The Adobe help files are simply bad and should not be considered more than what they are - a technical write-up that explains specific functions, but not overall workflows.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points