Illustrator CC up-to-date, German
Mac Intel 10.7.5, German
Just saved file can't be reopened.
Error message window:
Die Illustration kann nicht geöffnet werden. Die Illustration enthält einen falschen oder verbotenen Operator:
Verbotener Operator: inf
Kontext: % 0J 0 J 0.5 w 10 M 0 d
% 2 0 Gx 1 Gp GX
% 1 -1 3 1 -1 Gf
% 0 O
If opened anyway several layers are missing.
8 of about 30 files generated yesterday were corrupted. No pattern recognizable when it will happen.
No hint of an error occurring during working on or saving the files.
Neither restarting Illustrator nor the whole Mac helps.
What to do? There's quite an amount of work in these files.
Apart from the future precaution of your trying to avoid its happening again by saving to your harddisk rather than externally, as Monika is referring to as a quite likely source of file corruption,
you may try this Recovery Toolbox for free,
and licence it (for a year) if it proves to work.
There are ways of trying to recover files yourself, but they are rather difficult and hard to bring to succeed.
You can read on here,
Where do you save the files?
Files can be opened with Acrobat Pro and seem to be visually ok. Can even be saved as pdf here. But these PDF cannot be opened in Illustrator ("Die Datei konnte nicht geöffnet werden." "File could not be opened."). This is not very helpful because these files have to be edited for corrections etc.
I think I was successful with this last link:
The procedure is a bit circumstantial but I could recover my files for further editing.
In my case I found the entry "inf inf inf inf" in the recovered ai-files (opened with TextEdit) and simply replaced it with "0 0 0 0".
To be on the save side I additional copied (back in Illustrator) all recovered contents into new empty files.
There still is a (new) message about a missing font when opening the files now but this seems to be harmless (at least I hope so).
Thanks a lot for your answers and hints!
Pondering some more over the rather worrying extent of file corruption, and knowing that file recovery is usually difficult and often unsuccessful, I would suggest the following:
A) You may consider what was different about yesterday, such as other applications being active or whatever else.
B) As a precaution, at least for the time being, you may try to save crucial files underway with other names and see whether they open correctly, and/or just save with different names and then keep the last/latest (successful one(s)) and delete the unneeded ones.
C) It may be worth asking Erica to have Adobe look into the issue; she is the latest to have posted in this forum.