• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proper application design - hardcoded vs dynamic

Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2013 Oct 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a table, 2 columns.  ID and NAME.  When our application installs, the script writes 3 records to it in the following sequence: 'Admins', 'Users', 'Visitors'.  So one would think, the table data looks like:

ID - NAME

1 - Admins

2 - Users

3 - Visitors

So, when it comes to coding the application, is it better practice to assume that "Admins will always have an ID of 1, so I can write a SQL statement that may reference:  WHERE ID = 1 -- These are admins

Or should I be dynamic, where I would build a function called: getIDByName() and you can pass in the name 'Admins' and it will perform a SQL run and return back the number 1.  This would mean that when I write the above SQL statement I would say:

.... WHERE ID = getIDByName( 'Admins' ) -- Admins

I have a feeling that dynamic is the better approach, even though it means I'll have to code in more functions to automate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Aegis,

Is the "ID" column an auto-incrementing identity column that is controlled by the underlying database?  If so, I would err on the side of caution and not assume that the records will be written in the precise order you want.  What you might do is query that table once and cache the results in an application scope variable, then query that as needed to get the IDs as needed (saving multiple round trips to the database to retrieve the IDs over and over again.

HTH,

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aegis,

Is the "ID" column an auto-incrementing identity column that is controlled by the underlying database?  If so, I would err on the side of caution and not assume that the records will be written in the precise order you want.  What you might do is query that table once and cache the results in an application scope variable, then query that as needed to get the IDs as needed (saving multiple round trips to the database to retrieve the IDs over and over again.

HTH,

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl.

That's an amazingly good solution!  I've now modified my Security object to get the 3 most common role IDs dynamically (as well as the 8 global right IDs) and store them into its properties during its initialization.  Surprisingly, everything worked FLAWLESSLY on the first attempt. (love it when that happens).

So I'll continue to do things dynamically, but I need to remain vigilant whether commonly called information could be better optimized by storing the data in an appropriate scope.  Since the Security object exists in the APPLICATION scope, all the transient requests to it pretty much reference the same data; perfect!

I really appreciate it buddy; thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a side note, I'm kinda proud of myself.  I had all these getColNameByColName() methods everywhere and I got into a more OOP-mentality.  So I replaced them all with 1 function like:

public any getValueByReference(

required string @tableName,

required string @returnField,

required struct @criteria

)

So I could say: getValueByReference( 'pages', 'id', { 'name' = 'welcome', 'module_id' = 3 } )

And it would look at the Pages table and find a record where the name column = 'welcome' and the 'module_id' column = 3, and then return me that record's 'id' field.   Love it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad that worked out!

-Carl V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation