• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Java help for an old MacBook

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2013 Oct 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help, please.  I have an old MacBook - Mac OS X version 10.5.8 - and I have zero money.  Health wise, I have large spaces of time when I need to be still, for meds to work.  My sis gave me a membership for Pogo and the games really helped a lot with the still times.  Now, I keep getting Java messages that I need to update my Java -  -  - and I'm afraid that my ol' Mac isn't up to the task anymore.  At least, I've tried to update many times - but I wind up having the same problem.  Do I need to uninstall something and reinstall? (how would I do that) Am I just SOL?  Or do you have an idea that would work.               I've asked this question on other forums and have gotten some guy who wants $80 to $100 to tell me how to fix it, but as I said, I have zero money.  If someone has an idea, please let me know.      Thank you so much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the MacBook is Intel? (-About This Mac from the menu bar)

Java should update through Apple Software update FOR FREE. (-Software Update from the menu bar). Oracle no longer offers a download that will run on Mac OS systems lower than 10.7.

The direct link to download the latest Flasj=h Player that will run on OS 10.5.8 is: Flash Player 10.3.183.90 (Mac only)

Unfortunately, that may not work with Pogo.

If you truly do have "zero" money you may be SOL.

If your Mac is Intel and you can possibly spare $20 (I'm not  asking for it), Apple sells OS 10.6 (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard) for $19.99 and they ship it for free.

Everything you have will "Migrate" to the new OS with the install, but you'll be able to run a lot of software that WON'T run on 10.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, thank you thank you thank you! I'll start saving my nickels now -

with gratitude, toniecat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a really sweet deal that Apple is offering. That's a $129 OS for $20....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2013 Oct 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really need Java to play games on your Mac?  If so, what version do you currently have installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines