Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Preview panel in Premiere Elements 10 stopped working

Oct 14, 2013 3:26 AM

Hi

The preview panel on Adobe Premiere Elements 10 has stopped working.

It was working fine until a couiple of weeks ago. I'd created a film and rendered it OK but after watching decided to do a little more editing.

When I opened up the project the preview panel was just grey/blank. I move the cursor over a piece of film and just got like a snap shot.

I can hear the soundtrack but no picture.

I have tried a few suggestions from various sources as follows.

I've updated the video/display drivers (directly from the manufacturers website)

I've updated Windows for all the latest updates.

I've updated all the video players and codecs I could find on my PC.

I've updated Java.

I've done a cleanup and defrag but there is about 650 gb of freespace.

I've deleted the Bad Drivers file on a few occasions, this did give me a stuttering playback in the preview panel briefly but that has stopped again.

If I open a different window over the top of Premiere, part of that image stays in the preview panel when I close or minimise that window.

The video files I have been using have been mostly AVCHD files but these have worked fine for the last 18 months when I first installed this program.

I've tried converting files to AVI, MPEG, MPEG2, WMV etc but still nothing in the preview panel.

Totally stuck now, I've been trying to find a solution now for over a week and need to do some more editing.

I liked this program as an editor up until now but it maybe time to look for an alternative if I can't get a solution.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any other suggestions

Steve

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 14, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to FHS_ICTSupport

Hi. I just want to say that I would love to get it answered also. I have the same problem.

I've been using Adobe Premiere Elements to make my videos for the past 7 years and never had a problem. Edited a simple animation like 3 or 4 weeks ago but then, since last week I've been facing the exact same issue.

I also tried to update drivers and software and everything, didn't work. Also tried to change the files format from MP4 to WMV or AVI, nothing work.

I'm looking forward for this problem to get a solution.

Best regards and a big thank you in advance to everyone that can help us with it.

Joao Jose Gois

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to Johnnymaxx

Steve, you've done all of the things that I'd recommend. Though you may also want to update Quicktime to the latest version.

You should also go under the Edit menu and ensure that your project settings match your video specs -- which in this case are AVCHD.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to FHS_ICTSupport

FHS

In my read of your issue description, the only troubleshooting that seems to have any (however small) impact on the issue was the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file. And, from what you wrote, I am suspecting that the video card and/or the video card driver is at the core of your issue.  Have you tried rolling back the video card driver?

Also, have you looked at the Playback settings and Playback Quality settings accessed by right clicking the Edit Mode monitor which I believe you are calling "Preview Panel"? Please distinguish

Edit Mode Monitor - view of Timeline content at location of Timeline Indicator - Is the problem here?

Preview Window - accessed by double clicking file in Media or Timeline. Is the problem here?

We have had a recent thread (need to dig it out) where video card driver roll back was the fix. But, problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have diffeent causes. And, the answers are in the details.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to FHS_ICTSupport

FHS

Great news.

I will go hunting for that recent thread where rolling back the video card driver was the solution to the issue present.

We can compare the video card and video card driver in your case and the other. My recollection is that, in the other case, it was a NVIDIA video card. Which one was involved in your case?

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to FHS_ICTSupport

Hi everyone.

Unfortunately none of this worked for me. First I tried to update Quicktime and it didn't work. Then I decided to downgrade video card driver and it also didn't work. Lastly, I decided to completely remove Adobe Premiere Elements 10 and reinstall it, but it also didn't work.

Right now I don't know what else to do, so I'll go back to work on my Notebook that in there it is working.

But for knowledge purposes I want to say that I use Windows 8 - 32 bit version, with an nVidia Video card (GTX 660ti). The driver I had was version 331.40 and now it is 327.23. Like I said, I used to work with this computer for a long time, I have done a lot of videos, including one around 14 days ago, after my video driver was already updated to 331.40. I have no idea what happened, I didn't change any componnent or installed anything in my computer lately, not even any games.

I'll keep looking ways to fix it, but for now I'll better work on my notebook to have this job done.

Thank you everyone for all the help.

Yours,

Joao Jose Gois

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to Johnnymaxx

Hey all,

Just wanted to chime in here with my solution for this exact problem.

Just like everyone else I was suprised and frustrated by the sudden change in the software that had worked well just a few weeks ago.

just like everyone else I started to update every driver I could, every codex, every thing I could imagine.

Then I stumbled upon this thread and the idea struck me that instead of updating, I needed to roll back the driver for my video card.

I went to the nvidia site (sorry ATI) and choose drivers. THIS IS IMPORTANT: I then clicked under the main box on Beta and Older Drivers. From here you can pick older drivers to try to roll back to. I decided to go all the way back to may 2013. IT WORKED!!!

I hope this helps someone somewhere who almost deleted the software out of frustration and lack of documentation like I almost did.

GL

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 6:02 PM   in reply to mcasman

Attention: FHS, Joao Jose Gois, and mcasman

mcasman

What NVIDIA video card driver was involved in your case?

In the recent thread of bcstaat here, the NVIDIA video card driver roll back resolved the basic problem

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5742929#5742929

In this case the NVIDIA video card seems to be GTX760. The roll back appears to be to v320.49. Brad

the originator of that thread was eager to alert others to the issue and resolution that he encountered.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 8:20 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

The original driver was the most current as of the post. I believe 331.40 and the immediate step back 327.23. Both of them proved to be problematic, while a roll back to May 2013 (first one I picked, as I recall Premiere working fine that month) resolved my issue. For the sake of complication my video card is a 580.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 8:41 PM   in reply to mcasman

mccasman

Thanks for the further details. All helpful.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 14, 2013 9:17 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

BINGO!

Just want to let you all know that going back to nVidia driver from July (320.49) finally worked!

I was going to get the one from May like mccasman explained, but I remember making a short movie in august. So I decided to get the one from July, the first one before the September one (327.23) that was also giving me trouble, and now it works.

So, to conclude: with my nVidia GTX 660ti, I was suffering from the problem that no image was shown in the preview window with the 2 latest drivers installed (331.40 and 327.23). They were released in October and September respectively.  When I downgraded my driver to versio 320.49, released in July, the problem was solved.

Again, thank you everyone.

Best regards,

Joao Jose Gois

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to mcasman

mccasman

Could you indicate what version of Premiere Elements you are using and on what computer operating system it is running.

So far 3 of the 4 of the following are using Premiere Elements 10

Joas Jose Gois (Johnnymaxx)

Premiere Elements 10

NVIDIA GTX 660 ti

320.40 worked; 327.23 and 331.40 did not.

FHS

Premiere Elements 10

NVIDIA GTX 430

March 2013 worked; not the latest.

bcstaat

Premiere Elements 10

NVIDIA GTX 760

320.40 worked; not the latest.

Mcasman

Premiere Elements _______?

NVIDIA GTX 580

May 2013 worked; 327.23 and 331.40 did not.

Wondering if issue is restricted to Premiere Elements 10 for some reason?

Thanks all for great contributions.

ATR

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 7:29 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Oh sure sorry, I thought that was assumed as per the thread title. It was Premiere Elements 10 indeed

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to mcasman

mcasman

Thanks. Sometimes users with different versions but similar problems contribute to a thread. Because of that I wanted to verify that particular point regarding Premiere Elements version..

Very interesting, so far all Premiere Elements 10.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreicated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Holy crap, thank you SOOOO much for referencing a rollback of the nVidia drivers.  It is backwards to everything else I read, so I had thought it would be a moronic move. Turns out, it worked for me, too.  I am so relieved.  I had only recently decided to max out my RAM and get a video card (instead of using the choppy on-board video chip), and I got an nVidia GT610 2GB. I did all these upgrades specifically to speed along my video editing and make the playback run smoother. So, imagine my sheer panic when I finally bring up PrE 10 and the Preview Panel gives me ZERO video playback.  Not for a new project, not for any old projects, not for media files on my computer, or imported from the camcorder. Bwaaaahhhhh--I felt like saying to the video gods, "I'm so sorry for fussing about choppy, I take it back, I take it back!!!"   I had the same display problem FHS shared, with my desktop windows bleeding through that panel, and I got audio but no video...or just weird random stills from the video once in a while.  I was using the nVidia updater, because I had read that they were really good about keeping up and playing well with Adobe, so I thought I had all the right moves.  I even uninstalled PrE and then reinstalled it, to no avail, so I was totally desperate.  Two days later, and a few dozen blood pressure points higher, and I finally found this thread. (why the heck was it so hard to find, I wonder???) Anyway, thank you, thank you, and thank you, for taking the time to post here.

Here's my deal:

Premiere Elements 10

nVidia GT 610

320.49 worked (that's the May release I found for my card--not 320.40); 331.58 did NOT work; I did not bother trying 327.23

My OS is WinXP64 Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 23, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to procrastistamper

procrastistamper

Thank you very much for reporting your results on this Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card driver(s) issue.

I have added your report to the thread that I set up to keep track of those who have encountered the problem.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1317675?tstart=0

It was my hope that the thread would attract the attention of those who can fix the problem. So far I have not seen any feedback from NVIDIA nor Adobe on this.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to procrastistamper

I have had the same problem and usedyour solution; it has worked! One strange, to me, facet was that I could get the clips to play using the Motion Tracker but not without. New computer with Nvidia GTX660.

Thank you everyone for the support.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Allan Devon

Allan Devon

Thanks for reporting your Premiere Elements 10 and NVIDIA GTX 660 issue.

You did not say, but I am assuming that you are using Premiere Elements 10.

How far did you have to roll the driver back? What computer operating system are you running Premiere Elements 10 on?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Hi,

Yes Premiere Elements, running on Win 7 Home Premium 64, Driver rolled back to the May 320 xx version. Pain in the neck! Any other details please just ask

Allan

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to Allan Devon

Allan

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to FHS_ICTSupport

I have the same Problem.

(Asus G750J Notebook

Nvidia GTX770M

Windows 8

Premiere Elements 10)

Meanwhile i have tried every recommended tips from this Forum. Update Windows, downdate the Graphicdrivers (am maximum to 326.19, because 320.49 does not support my GTX770M), reinstalled PE 10, Quicktime, components of the GTX-Driver and i tried to clean the Registry between every Step, but nothing have had any Effect :-( The rest of the Program works, but without the Projectmonitor i don´t have a chance to see what i´m working.

Some Weeks before i started a Project and PE 10 worked normally.

Please helf me :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to ivi f.

ivi f

If you have rolled back the driver as far as you can, I think it is time to contact NVIDIA about your NVIDIA GTX770M video card. Roll back of the driver has been the answer for nearly all. With the exceptions, those users have contacted NVIDIA, and NVIDIA has gotten back to them with specific instructions on what driver version to use to gain success in the matter.

Have you contacted NVIDIA yet?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thank you.

No i have not contacted NVIDIA yet, but i will do so, because i

absolutely don´t know anymore what to do.

So thanks again.

Greetings from Hamburg/Germany

ivi

Am 26.10.2013 03:25, schrieb A.T. Romano:

>

Re: Preview panel in Premiere Elements 10 stopped working

created by A.T. Romano <http://forums.adobe.com/people/A.T.+Romano> in

/Premiere Elements/ - View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/5789659#5789659

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to ivi f.

ivi

Please let us know the result of your contact with NVIDIA about this matter.

The two others that I know of in a similar situation had good results, and their problems were solved.

So, I am hoping to learn that NVIDIA is able to sort out the details with its video card and its driver for you also.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 12:17 AM   in reply to procrastistamper

I tried to roll back the drivers but my machine is brand new. How do i get a earlier version of this driver? I uninstalled the current driver and when i downloaded the New/older version It says cant find device (Video Card). Does anyone have a step by step for this?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to Chris Rolbiecki

Chris Rolbiecki

You do not state specifically that you are dealing with a Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card. For now I am assuming that you are:

Since you are dealing with Premiere Elements 10 in a new computer, I would suggest that you contact NVIDIA direct for the instructions to get its driver working with Premiere Elements 10 in your computer environment. This approach has worked for others.

Alternatively, you might contact the manufacturer of the computer about alternative video cards/video card drivers. You do not want to void any warranty services from it.

Looking forward to more details and further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thanks for the response. Well I'm actually using elements 11 but getting the same problem you guys are havering with 10. My video card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 760. So I will take your advice and correspond with the folks at Nvidia. I just couldn't figure out how to put the older drivers in. When I deleted the drivers I think the on board video takes over and when I put the older drivers in it says it can't find my video card (Nvidia) and won't finish the install. I looked in the CMOS and it says the onboard video is disabled. Not sure what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to Chris Rolbiecki

Chris Rolbiecki

So far I am not seeing the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card driver issues spreading out to other versions. But, yours may be the first of many?

Let us know how or if the matter resolves with NVIDIA. I just do not want to see any recommendations creating offshoot issues and additional problems with this new computer.

Thanks for the follow up. We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to Chris Rolbiecki

Hi Chris,

Couple of thoughts here.

One is that when installing new drivers, uninstalling the old ones completley is not a required step anymore. The "new" driver will overwrite the old one. This is an antiquated practice and not necessary anymore.

See if you can restore the video driver from a backup disk (or windows boot disc) that should be stock with your machine. If successful, then you can try the steps of post number 8 on this thread.

The most important step here is making sure your video card is working correctly first. If the restore doesnt load the drivers dont panic, there are many more steps we can take.

GL and keep us in the loop!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to FHS_ICTSupport

For Adobe Premiere Elements 10 Users:

I have figured it ALLLLLLLLLLL out now!!  How silly of me.

ADOBE has discontinued support of new video drivers after NVIDIA 320.49.

The simple solution to this issue is to upgrade to Adobe Elements 11 or Adobe Elements 12 and then you can keep your video card drivers up-to-date.     

I will upgrade, to probably Adobe Elements 12.

!!!NOT!!!!

ADOBE, pretty-please (with sugar on top) re-instate the support of newer NVIDIA drivers (past 320.49) because some of us like to keep our video card drivers UP-TO-DATE

without having to buy a/the newer version(s) of Adobe Premiere Elements and like the version (10) we are using.

Your Pal,

fevertree

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to fevertree

Fevertree,

Unfortunately, you are not talking to Adobe here - but only to users, such as yourself. You can contact Adobe, but since PrE 10 is now two complete generations ago, I rather doubt that they will reopen development of that program.

Now, from several threads, it does appear that nVidia is aware of the issues with their latest driver and PrE 10. At this point, it seems that only PrE 10 is involved, but maybe all reports have not come in yet?

Whether nVidia will address these issues remains to be seen. If it is ONLY PrE 10, that is affected, then it might be unlikely, but if there are other programs, affected, then there is more of an impetus to seek the fix. Only time will tell.

Going back some years, two nVidia drivers, in a row, affected many Adobe programs. The fix was easy, once it was tracked down, and by the third driver release, nVidia had sorted things out - it was two 3D modules (one for 3D goggles), that caused the problem. The fix was to just disable those two modules. With that third release, the default installation was changed, so that those modules would be OFF, at installation, where they had been set to ON, for the two "bad" driver versions.

nVida works closely with Adobe, but IF the problem is unique to just PrE 10, they might not wish to expend effort to make a fix. Only time will tell, but as nVidia historically releases new drivers about every 4 - 6 weeks, if they do have a fix, it should be coming soon.

In the meantime, rolling the nVidia driver back has fixed things for many users. I do worry that users with PrE 10 and Win8 might get left out of that solution, as I do not know the history of nVidia drivers for Win8 - maybe nVidia has older drivers for that OS, that will work, but maybe not.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 15, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to fevertree

fevertree

We are glad to learn what works for you.

But, I am reading the issue specific to Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card....

NOT that Adobe has discontinued support of newer NVIDIA video card drivers

but rather

Latest NVIDIA video card drivers are not supporting Premiere Elements 10.

And it is questionable what NVIDIA needs to do with its latest driver to avoid compatibility problems with Premiere Elements 10.

Did you contact NVIDIA about your specific situation? It might be able to give you some insights on the core of the issue and a fix specific for your computer environment.

Have you tried out your solution idea via the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12?

ATR

This is a user to user forum and I am not affiliated with Adobe, just a Elements user.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:17 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

A.T. Romano

I have the same exact problems with my PrE10

I do have to GTX 660, i have tried to roll back my driver and even update again and that hasn't solved the problem.

Will I not be able to run PrE10 until they fix this problem or would you suggest I upgrade to PrE12?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:23 PM   in reply to LuNaR Tadpole

The "fix" should come from nVidia, as they know of the issues with their latest video driver, and Adobe PrE 10. I would imagine that they are working on the problem.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to LuNaR Tadpole

LuNaR Tadpole

If you have not already, please review the findings of johnnymaxx in the following thread

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5836037#5836037

That user had Premiere Elements 10 and the NVIDIA video card (GTX 660 ti) driver version 320.40 worked while the 327.23 and 331.40 did not. There was another user with Premiere Elements 10 and 660 - resolution there too was the roll back of the driver version, but we never did get further details on that.

If you check out all that and the situation remains the same, then I would contact NVIDIA. It has helped some of the users with this type of syndrome.

Switching from Premiere Elements 10 to 12 is a possibility, but I would suggest that you go the free 30 day tryout route from Adobe before any purchase.

Please let us know of your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2014 11:37 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thanks for posting all of this. But, what if I have a different video card? I have an HP 530 laptop with a Mobile Intel (R)945 Express Chipset Family display card. I'm not at all a tech type person. If you could give me the steps to correct this problem, I could follow them. My monitor screen in Premiere Elements 10 is doing exactly what everyone else's was. Helllllppppppp?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 4:38 PM   in reply to upholsteryteacher

upholsteryteacher

That was good news that you have Premiere Elements 10 and Intel video card and not NVIDIA. To date, a certain display issue has been specific to the Premiere Elements 10 user whose computer uses a NVIDIA video card.

I think it best if you started your own thread on your display issue since your details can take us in an assortment of directions depending on the details.

We need to determine that your Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family display card driver is up to date.

That information might be obtained from the following Intel web site

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFam ily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Mobile +Intel%C2%AE+945GM+Express+Chipset+Family

or

This information might be obtained from the HP web site.

2. If you determine that your video card driver is up to date, then you can try deleting the Premiere Elements 10 BadDrivers.txt file. Once you have deleted it and opened a new project, the BadDrivers.txt file will be replaced with a new one. For that we would need to know what computer operating system your computer is running on so that we can give you the correct path to the BadDrivers.txt file.

It is important that at the onset you do a mini test run export to determine if what you are seeing as display problem in Edit is reflected in your export.

We will be watching for further developments. Details are important. If you have problems finding the details, we will help you with that.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers