Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Horizontal red Bar with "Edit in Progess" takes too much time to disappear

Oct 15, 2013 1:42 AM

In V12, for the large Catalog that I have converted from V8: After closing in the PSE Editor the edit of a photo,  the horizontal red bar with the text "Edit in Progress"  takes typically much too much time to disappear from the PSE Organizer. I am seeing this problem wrhen using the large V12 PSE Catalog (around 70'000 cataloged folto files, including the multiple versions within Version sets),  that I have converted from PSE V8. With V12, typically for the jpeg photo Files that i have shot this year with my Nikon D5000, it takes around 16-18 seconds between

- the time where I complete within the Editor closing the edit

- and the time until the red bar disappears from the Organizer.

With V8, this took only a couple of seconds.

Also strangely, I noticed that for my older photos shot in 2004 wih a Canon compact camera (and originally cataloged with PSE Version V3) , in V12 this is much faster: a couple of seconds (I will need to measure that more precisely), even though I use the same V12 PSE Catalog, the same PSE Preferences and the same Windows 7 based PC for the tests with the recent photos of my recent D5000 cameras and for the tests with the old photos of my old Canon compact camera.

I do not understand, why these timing differences between the photos shot with my modern NIKON D5000 and the photos shot with my old Canon compact camera. There is a difference in the file size (around 3.4 MB vs around 14.MB );  but I doubt whether this can be the explanation.

Also, I noticed that in "Information --> Metadata --> GPS"  the Organizer sjows me for my Nikon D5000 photos (just) the following entry: GPS Version 2.2.0.0 (something that is not shown for the photos shot with my old Canon compact camera).  Myself do not use GPS datza (at least: not concsiously).  There are probably also other differences in the Metadata.

I remembder that many years ago, I was seeing similar long times for some activities (I do not fremember which ones). After some investigations, it turned out that the reason for these long times was a component that was trying to adccess rersouces that were not located on my PC but were instead located remotely on the Laptop of my wife (which was in the same Windows Home networjk)

Does somebody else sees in V12 long time for the red horizontal bar to disappear? Do you have an explanation for that?

Some Notes about my current environment:

In the Preferences of the Organizer: All Media Analysis Options are disabled/unckecked:

in the Preferences of the Organizer: Adobe Revel Agent is disabled and none of the Dialog fields in the "Adobe Revel" panel have been set

Thumbnails are all built (at least, this is my impression)t

Watch Folder is diabled

Killing the Elements.Auto.Analyze does not help

I have deactivated the Adobe Active File Monitors of all PSE Versions that I have installed - this did not help

I have not installed PRE V12 (but have previous Versions of PRE installed)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 15, 2013 4:20 AM   in reply to Robert Eckerlin

Robert Eckerlin wrote:

There is a difference in the file size (around 3.4 MB vs around 14.MB );  but I doubt whether this can be the explanation.

Why do you doubt that?

If you don't make any changes in the editor does the 'edit in progress' disappear any faster?

Try downloading some jpegs of different file sizes off the Internet and see if the 'time to disappear' varies by file size.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 5:33 AM   in reply to Robert Eckerlin

I've just done some testing with large jpegs and PSD files. A 40MB file edited and saved on closing removed the 'edit in progress' in under three Mississippis. That's on a standard 7200 SATA drive.

Do you have an unusually aggressive anti-virus / anti-spyware software installed that could be delaying file writes?

As a test is it any quicker if you were to save the file to the SSD drive rather than the WD drive?

You could maybe try  'disk speed test' or 'hard disk test' software (google those quoted phrases and you get several choices. In the past I've used Seagate tools and the Samsung utilities.

Also check your Windows event viewer to see if there are any disk write issues.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Robert Eckerlin

Sorry about the SSD comment - I was thinking of someone elses hardware environment.

I was a part of the Pre-release program and have no recollection of anyone flagging disk write speed issues.

My catalog contains about 11,000 entries and has been migrated from v7 -> 9 -> 10 -> 11 -> 12.

I can't think of anything else to suggest other than you contact support via Live Chat.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 15, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to Robert Eckerlin
    1. When I close the last image focus returns to the Organizer
    2. The taskbar behaviour varies. If you have your images 'floating' you get a separate task for each image and the application itself. If your images are docked to tabs then you just get one icon in the taskbar. You can change your image layout under Window> Images
    3. Live Chat appears at the bottom of various Adobe support pages. Here's an example for Creative Cloud (http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/download-install-trials.html). Unfortunately I can't find the equivalent for PSE at the moment - I'm sure it existed last week

[EDIT] D'oh - that link in 3. is generic for any product installation issue - use the Chat box at the bottom of that page.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 17, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to Robert Eckerlin

Glad to hear you found a reason and workaround. Thanks for reporting your findings back.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers